DRIVE: 2013 Shelby GT500 Video Review

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Good review. People seem to have a lot more fun in the GT500 compared to the ZL1. Not very surprising......damn I want one :banana:

SHELBYSVT20

Established Member
This guy gets it

Chris, you took the words right out of my mouth! :rolling: He understands what a Muscle Car should be and knows one when he sees it! I believe most journalists/media just don't know the true essence and characteristics of a true Muscle Car.

Loves the fact that it's a raw car to drive. Which is exactly what I want when owning a muscle car, raw obnoxious and "extraordinary fast"

Bravo

Well said! :beer:

Thank you OP for this great find!

peteypab2133

Established Member
Did anyone notice at the 13:45 mark it appears he is driving the ZL1 but talking like he was still driving the GT500?

You can clearly see the big bird yellow paint under the camera... Or am I seeing things.

Good review. A few things were incorrect but for the most part it was a un biased review.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
good review, I agree some of the numbers were wrong and editing is a bit choppy. However the real world review with no bias was refreshing, and even though in his hands the zl1 was faster around the track...the GT500 accomplishes whats it supposed to and im ok with that!

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
I'm more than ok with that! He was definitely a euro guy lol. I think he mentioned euro cars more than the actual cars being driven :p jk

monsterpost

Established Member
I liked the review. What I take away from the review is I want a fun and exciting car to drive, if I want something less exciting to drive there are other cars that fit the bill. I didn't hear any bias in his review.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my fears when I heard the accent, but he seems to understand what the Mustang/Camaro is about. 85 degree day, wonder if that is why he wasn't feeling the 580 HP in the Camaro.

bull3441

Established Member
good review, I agree some of the numbers were wrong and editing is a bit choppy. However the real world review with no bias was refreshing, and even though in his hands the zl1 was faster around the track...the GT500 accomplishes whats it supposed to and im ok with that!
The numbers may not be "wrong" the U.K. doesn't use S.A.E. ratings and still use BHP. I'm guessing here, but since this show is catered to the UK maybe Chris is stating BHP.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I had my fears when I heard the accent, but he seems to understand what the Mustang/Camaro is about. 85 degree day, wonder if that is why he wasn't feeling the 580 HP in the Camaro.
He's probably not "feeling" it because even a 4100 lb. car with 580 hp should be faster than mid-12's.
:shrug:
And if the ambients temps were better, the GT500 would be affected just as much if not more.
S.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I did the conversion and the DIN HP numbers are 671hp. Some guys are so quick to bash, w/o thinking.... Not you Chris.

No- I know. That's why I made sure I stated what I did. One of my best friends is a Limey so I knew where he was going :)

itSSlow98

Established Member
Yes, The fun factor of the Shelby is what matters most once you get your head out of the magazines and spend some time behind the wheel. He seemed to enjoy the Shelby on the track. With the ZL1 he was more ho-hum, like driving to church.

On the ZL1:
“Motor is great, but doesn’t feel like 580HP.”
“It [ZL1] is pretty good”

On the GT500:
"What an engine. So much more powerful than the Camaro."
"it's extraordinary, absolutely extraordinary."
"This thing [GT500] is so much fun".

bout sums it up.

My .02, spinning and drifting is fun for about a week, after that you actually want the car to perform. Thats when the Zl1 will become the more fun car because you can actually drive it and let the car to some of the work.

Its like having a twin screw cobra that will light the tires up at 60mph, sure its badass and fun, but you get tired of that quick and want the car to hook.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
My .02, spinning and drifting is fun for about a week, after that you actually want the car to perform. Thats when the Zl1 will become the more fun car because you can actually drive it and let the car to some of the work.

Its like having a twin screw cobra that will light the tires up at 60mph, sure its badass and fun, but you get tired of that quick and want the car to hook.

Did you watch the video?

jonesd

Established Member

^^ guessing he didnt watch the video, otherwise im lost.

This isnt the gt500 of old, it doesnt just spin anymore on stock tires lol.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
^ yea I didn't see a fix body doing hole-shots or a 240sx in that video

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread