Drove a buddy's new Charger Hellcat - Here's a brief review

Never_Enough

Established Member
Epic drivetrain. Pedestrian Looks.

Basically its a newer GTO. Family sled that, besides the hideous color, would otherwise get lost in the sea of similar looking Kia's, ect.

Not a fan. At all. The Challenger would have been the better option. Old school musclecar look with epic drivetrain.

+65,000 on the "lightweight" car with HP comment. When I threw H/C/I on my Z06, it felt like a go kart that was tearing a hole through time. Just incredible.

The GTO was a 2 door car...

kaz109

Established Member
Every one of those cars is slower than a hellokitty in either form with an auto, traps slower than a 13+ gt500 and costs close to/more than double.

You can bench race all you want, if they met on the street stock vs stock my money is on either of the cars I listed. At the track with DR's is a different story

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Overall, I still like the GT 500 better because it feels much more rare

Didn't the charger Hellcat just come out? And the GT500 has been around since 2007? So how is a car that's been in mass production for 8 years more rare then something that just came out?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Didn't the charger Hellcat just come out? And the GT500 has been around since 2007? So how is a car that's been in mass production for 8 years more rare then something that just came out?

Because the GT500's are limited production, while Dodge will make all of the Hellcats it can build. Also, there's only something like 5K 13/14 GT500's.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Thanks for the good review. I honestly like the Chargers and am interested in how the Hellcat drives

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
You can bench race all you want, if they met on the street stock vs stock my money is on either of the cars I listed. At the track with DR's is a different story

Which is exactly why I canceled the order on my charger hellcat and went with the rs7. It's cold where I live, the roads are never warm enough to put 700hp down through rwd, without some serious tire. The rs7 can cut a 1.6 60' every single time with zero effort.

GT_Jim

Established Member
As someone that can't stand the idea of having kids, I'd take the Challenger all day over the Charger...Besides the fact I don't want a "gussied up" cop car...A (especially) white charger around here might as well be like a 2008 crown vic of just a few years ago.

No thanks.

Nice car but not for me, and how the hell is the Charger faster than the Challenger? Is it because it's heavier and putting more weight on the back tires for extra grip? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Congrats on getting the opportunity to drive it though, just because I wouldn't buy one doesn't mean I wouldn't drive the hell out of it if I had the chance :burnout:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Which is exactly why I canceled the order on my charger hellcat and went with the rs7. It's cold where I live, the roads are never warm enough to put 700hp down through rwd, without some serious tire. The rs7 can cut a 1.6 60' every single time with zero effort.

I would've made that switch based entirely on interior and looks even if it was dog slow compared to the Hellcat, the RS7 may be the sexiest car on the road IMO.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Because the GT500's are limited production, while Dodge will make all of the Hellcats it can build. Also, there's only something like 5K 13/14 GT500's.

The Hellcat is going to be a limited run as well... It is the top model for the Dodge Charger & Challenger just like the GT500 is for Mustang, they are not going to produce a ton of them. I don't know where you get the idea of a GT500 being more rare. I will be surprised if the Hellcat has as long of a production run as the GT500 has.

jbs$

Established Member
I have had the pleasure of owing both cars. I loved my 13 GT500, however, the Hell Cat is more comfortable and is faster.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
The Hellcat is going to be a limited run as well... It is the top model for the Dodge Charger & Challenger just like the GT500 is for Mustang, they are not going to produce a ton of them. I don't know where you get the idea of a GT500 being more rare. I will be surprised if the Hellcat has as long of a production run as the GT500 has.

We'll see. Dodge has specifically stated that they aren't going to limit production of them, unlike Ford with the GT500. However, right now they are having a hard time keeping up with demand, so that may be moot.

VenomVeins

Established Member
The GTO was a 2 door car...

I wasnt comparing the number of doors. I was comparing the looks of it.

Both rigs have killer drivetrains and 'Average Family Sedan' looks.

NOT IN.

I like Musclecars to look like, you know, Musclecars. Not some painfully weak sedan that would normally be washed out in a sea of similar looking sleds if it wasnt for the laughably bad paint color.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Anybody else think that "DEAD END" sign beside the car is a bit ominous?

... Have any of you seen the crazy torque curve of the Hellcat engine? It's incredible!

Have you seen the torque curve of the GT500 engines?

B5 blue. No way the mustang interior is better. Remember we have hard plastic door panels.

Stock for Stock the Charger should walk a GT50[0]. I really don't like the front end of the Charger. I'd get a Challenger.

From a stop, yes. From a roll, which is where they're more likely to meet, it would be a tight race.

I would put my money on the RS7,E63s or Panamera Turbo S that pulled up along side of you

You'd be placing a bad bet. Four cars with HP that's not even in the same zip code as the Hellcat, yet weigh the same or more, but you think they'd be faster on the freeway? Your hate toward American cars knows no bounds.

Last edited:

colin450

Established Member
I'd love to have one that color combo it's perfect. I'd take that over the Challenger.

HandBanana

Established Member
I would put my money on the RS7,E63s or Panamera Turbo S that pulled up along side of you

Oh you mean the rolling houses on wheels that are at least double the cost of the Hellcat and still won't pull away from them? Not a comparison.

paluka21

Established Member
We'll find out when we get it to the track. On paper the GT500 should be faster with a good driver, but I'm not a good driver. Course, neither is he, lol.

You would think this would be so, but the automatic and gearing in the Hellcat will make it faster especially in an 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile. The MPH trap speeds in the ending 1/4 won't be that different, but the Hellcat should get there first.
From a roll race, who knows, but I'll say it will be difficult to keep shifts with an auto.

Blown 89

Established Member
Looks trashy as hell to me. Maybe that's because every white trash and Mexican in Arizona has been PepBoying the hell out of their chargers for years and they look way too similar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread