Dumb idea?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll probably get flamed for this because I've kinda brought it up before.

So I have a promotion clutch rated to 550 hp. I'm not sure if that's rwhp or flywheel. It has a lighter than stock pedal feel. But it's always chattered in reverse. I've had it slip once last summer and then about two weeks ago. I adjusted it again and now it's fine, for now.

So here's the deal, I have a new centerforce twin disk dyad clutch. I also have a new cable, steeda quick release quadrant, ford pilot bearing, and a ford tob. I'm a little nervous trying to install it myself. I've never done one. And I'd be working from the floor. I think I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I did my blower swap and return fuel system by myself.

Is it dumb to replace it if my current one still works? I've never driven a car with a twin disk, so I don't know what I'm missing out on. I think at my hp level it's not a dumb move.

cj428mach

Established Member
You won't regret having the dyad in the car. You've already bought the parts why not put them in. Unless your LTs make it tougher, its not going to be a big deal since you already have the 26 spline input shaft installed. A believe the average person should be able to do this in 6 hours tops, an hour plus of that will be cleaning.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Do what you want man it's your car. Personally I'd keep the one that is in it till it starts slipping. You said it isn't now correct? But your car do what you want. I can tell you when I bought my Cobra and I'm no were near your power level it has a McLeod twin disk and it's the best clutch I've ever driven. Pedal feel is light as crap. Night and day difference over the king cobra clutch in my fox body.

I can see what you mean about dropping the trans on the ground. I did the pumpkin in the rear myself and it was a pita to sling back up there with no help. Could you get someone to help you? I'm sure from the mechanics part of it you would be fine. I hope to someday have a lift I hate jack stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Obviously a lift would make things easier. But being on the floor doesn't make things impossible. I still say go for it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ive done it all by myself in the garage on jack stands. Engine, trans, differential.

For the trans id recommend picking up a trans jack at harbor frieght. It will make it alot easier. That and alot of 3/8" drive extensions and I jack the front of the engine up to lower the trans.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Brady you have been talking about your clutch for a little while now. You are over-powering a clutch you know isn't rated for your power level plus a sticky tire will put even more stress on the combo. You already have the solution with the Dyad so the decision boils down to planning and doing the work.

Over the years I have done several trans changes/clutches/etc on the garage floor and it wasn't fun but necessary on the wallet. These days with driving the few miles we put on our cars time is a helping factor. I have no doubt you can do the job especially with the guys on here for support. Take your time, if you get tired, frustrated or stumped, walk away from it...tomorrow you will have a fresh head and some great ideas from touching base with the gang here.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Brady you have been talking about your clutch for a little while now. You are over-powering a clutch you know isn't rated for your power level plus a sticky tire will put even more stress on the combo. You already have the solution with the Dyad so the decision boils down to planning and doing the work.

Over the years I have done several trans changes/clutches/etc on the garage floor and it wasn't fun but necessary on the wallet. These days with driving the few miles we put on our cars time is a helping factor. I have no doubt you can do the job especially with the guys on here for support. Take your time, if you get tired, frustrated or stumped, walk away from it...tomorrow you will have a fresh head and some great ideas from touching base with the gang here.

Some very good points. I know it's a weak point on my car with my mods. And usually when I do get frustrated, the best thing is to walk away from it for a bit.

And time isn't a problem, nor is it a big deal if it takes me awhile to get it done. It's just getting myself committed to doing it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Great points in here....my opinion do it now.

As far as doing it yourself, I'm sure you are mechanically capable to do it. However, stabbing the tranny back on is tricky and would help to have an extra hand.

And be very fresh and beyond careful....we had a member here killed doing a clutch install by himself.

cj428mach

Established Member
Some very good points. I know it's a weak point on my car with my mods. And usually when I do get frustrated, the best thing is to walk away from it for a bit.

And time isn't a problem, nor is it a big deal if it takes me awhile to get it done. It's just getting myself committed to doing it.

Just go out and jack the car up. Once thats done you're committed to doing it, you'll get it done.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great points in here....my opinion do it now.

As far as doing it yourself, I'm sure you are mechanically capable to do it. However, stabbing the tranny back on is tricky and would help to have an extra hand.

And be very fresh and beyond careful....we had a member here killed doing a clutch install by himself.

I did text the guy that I've had do work for me. It's the shop that installed my current clutch and did my headers. I think he only charges 85 per hour. Plus that's the shop with the heart breaker dyno. I could throw it on the rollers before the clutch swap.

Very sad, I remember that member that lost his life while working on his cobra. :(

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I wouldn't burn up an otherwise good clutch just because. I would pull the current (inferior) setup, inspect it. If all is good I would think you could sell the Promotion to one of the members here running a ported Eaton or less and it would clamp fine for those 550rwhp and under.

At $85/hour I can think of a few tools I would like to buy or additional mods/parts for future plans. Maybe the $85/hour could go toward the roller ride. Don't forget after you get the Dyad in to give us your unbiased review of both the install and the performance.

cj428mach

Established Member
At $85/hour I can think of a few tools I would like to buy or additional mods/parts for future plans. Maybe the $85/hour could go toward the roller ride.

I agree, thats how I look at it, use that money for new tools, stuff that can make the job easier. The local dealership wanted 2k to pull my motor and install my new drivers side head to fix the tick. I used that money to buy a nice transmission jack, ford shop manual set, 9 thread passenger head, and a heat exchanger, then did the work myself.

Plus no one will ever care about your car as much as you will. FYI you will need some 12pt sockets to install the PP nuts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I do have some 12pt sockets. There is a harbor freight store opening in a bigger town about 30 miles from me. So I'd buy a transmission Jack from there.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I'll echo everyone else here, it's not that bad of a job. Ideal to do it on the floor, no. Judging by you avatar you should be able to muscle the trans in and out. ARH is supposed to clear the trans so I say go for it. Beauty is it's your second car so you can take your time

RichM1983

Established Member
It really isn't that hard of a job even on the floor. I pulled and installed my trans myself with it on jackstands and with just a floor jack under the trans. Its not bad at all as long as you have a garage and can make sure your safe under the car.

I'd say do it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I've been doing mine solo in dirt driveway..

Many tob changes.. it's a very easy job..

I use basic jack but a trans jack would help.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Do it now. I just replaced a perfectly good Spec 2+ with the 5. The HP rating is the most ridiculous thing ever, it should be torque, at the flywheel, and it depends on weight/load as well as driving style.

It's not a bad job to do but the lift really does make things easier. The hardest part is getting to the starter bolts if you have long tubes. It's a pain in the ass. I used bread to knock out the pilot bearing, which only took about 2 minutes with a bolt and hammer. Get a couple of long (roughly 18" total) extensions, both 1/4 (for the starter) and 3/8 (for the top bolts) as well as swivels. I find it easier to take off the trans first, then the bellhousing.

Take your time with it and don't rush, it's really not bad. I did it on a lift, but I split it in to 2, 2 hours segments. 2 hours one night, 2 hours the next night. Make sure you have a flywheel ready to go in as well, and new flywheel bolts.

cj428mach

Established Member
Make sure you have a flywheel ready to go in as well, and new flywheel bolts.

The DYAD comes with a flywheel and all the mounting hardware. It is more expensive than the RXT but a lot of that cost is offset by the flywheel and arp fasteners that are included.

Don't forget Brady about the break in mileage so even after its installed you can't play right away. Get the install done now before it gets really hot then you can start the break in procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread