E85 Hard Start

1slo5oh

Established Member
Ok first I guess a run down of what is done to the car. About 3 months ago I went for it and switched over to E85 via AED.

AED tune
Steeda CAI
Off Road X-pipe
Borla ATAK Axle backs
47lb FoMoCo injectors

Now the car has performed flawlessly however over the past month it has developed a hard start problem that I didn't have right when I made the switch. It has to spin over several times before it fires but does indeed fire every time so far.

I have re checked the injectors after install. I haven't pulled them and re installed but seems as if they are all seated correctly. I have went over all of my vac lines twice...put an extra turn on all of the CAI clamps....:shrug: Really it could only be one of two things as far as I can figure...

Fuel pressure regulator bleeding down since the car doesn't get driven but about once or twice a week. Or the fuel filter getting clogged from the E85 switch and not letting enough fuel through on the initial crank

The only thing that debunks these theories is after the initial hard start it cranks just fine every time.

Is the Fuel Filter in the same place as older models?? under the drivers side door?? or is what I was reading about the GT's not having a serviceable fuel filer correct??

Ideas?? Thoughts??

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is it getting cooler in the mornings there? Ive seen some others have to get startup fueling adjusted so it starts correctly in cold weather.

1slo5oh

Established Member
is it getting cooler in the mornings there? Ive seen some others have to get startup fueling adjusted so it starts correctly in cold weather.

If its getting cooler its by a few degrees in the mornings nothing substantial.... so instead of 90* @ 5:30am its 85* @ 5:30 with 100% humidity...lol. However I have done a little research and found guys having some issues when cold but that particular instance was a carb'd application.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
This is common for E85 tuned vehicles. I came from the LSx group before my new 14GT, and my covette was tuned on E85. Even in chilly summer mornings, the car would take a few extra cranks before it would fire. And my car was a bone stock LS3 C6 with ONLY E85 tune. Still on paper filter and all. I have read about this all over the place, not limited to any type of vehicle. Im sure the tuner can tune around it, but it is very common. Notice how I didnt say normal.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
There is no servicable fuel filter on these cars OP.

My car has always cranked a little longer for a first intial cold startup on E85. I always let it idle for about 5 mins in the morning before I leave. If i juat hope in and go it will have a rolling idle until it starts getting warm. Only does this on E85.

1slo5oh

Established Member
Why Ford would not put a serviceable fuel filter on a vehicle is beyond me!!! But I assume the mornings being just a little bit cooler maybe be affecting the start I just wouldn't of imagined it being that much of a change. Appreciate the replies fellas!!

by9468840

Established Member
i thought it was a well known behaviour that E85 is not as smooth as gasoline at cold starts. so i guess.. no issues here?

125oh

Established Member
Mine also takes a few extra seconds to fire in the mornings after sitting in75 degree garage all night . Just an e85 thing

1slo5oh

Established Member
i thought it was a well known behaviour that E85 is not as smooth as gasoline at cold starts. so i guess.. no issues here?

Sorry , I am new to the E85 world and needed to make sure everything was working properly as you can imagine it cranking just fine and then all the sudden it doesn't sets off a few gear head alarms...

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
There is no servicable fuel filter on these cars OP.

My car has always cranked a little longer for a first intial cold startup on E85. I always let it idle for about 5 mins in the morning before I leave. If i juat hope in and go it will have a rolling idle until it starts getting warm. Only does this on E85.

+1, mine acts the exact same way

Users who are viewing this thread