Emission Test in your state?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I live in Clark County Nevada, Vegas area. Here we have an annual vehicle Emission test required, and they do it just like California.
-Everything must be stock or have a C.A.R.B. certificate that you provide
-They scan the door VIN tag and then connect to OBD port, your car must pass emission test for the year of your engine, tail pipe probe, test controlled by their on-line computer via the OBD port.
-Visual test of "Check engine" light, must come "on" when tester forces it, the go "off" and stay off, no emission related codes can be present or stored.
-Tester checks gas cap seal and evap emission system via the ODB port.
-Visual check for cats and tailpipe emissions must be within limits at idle and some higher RPM (like 2000prm)

What do they require in your state?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I have a quick visual inspection in my county, no emissions. They just check for things like worn tires, burned out lights and lights on the dash.

2 miles down the road in the next county they require full emissions testing. Suckers :beer:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
They don't check. 20 bucks and out i go with the inspection.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
we get OBD tested here in parts of MD. they plug it in, once it goes through the OBD test you are done and can leave. it cost $14.

also, **** them, I want my $14 back.

oldmodman

Established Member
California.

So not only does everything in the world get checked.
You can't even get tested any longer if you have even ONE hanging OBD readiness code.

I bet that if they could check the first three feet of your asshole, they would.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
In IL just quick scan for codes. If no codes you pass and it's free. I get my test done with my o/r x pipe on and the car passes with my homemade simulators.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
we get OBD tested here in parts of MD. they plug it in, once it goes through the OBD test you are done and can leave. it cost $14.

also, **** them, I want my $14 back.

Ditto here in NoVA.

If you aren't throwing codes, you'll pass. Even if you've gone in and turned off say, half your cats. Their OBD reader willl show N/A instead of failed, but they pass it.

Of course, I wouldn't do such a thing, or advise anyone to do such a thing.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
California.

So not only does everything in the world get checked.
You can't even get tested any longer if you have even ONE hanging OBD readiness code.

I bet that if they could check the first three feet of your asshole, they would.

I just went thru this nightmare with my GT500. It passed the sniffer but had 2 readiness codes that I couldn't get to shut off. I finally found a way but it took a while and a lot of wasted ga$. I really want a classic car that I don't have to smog in the future.

I also saw that they had one of those smog sting operation deals set up while I was driving to work last week. They randomly pull cars over and smog test them on the street. What a waste of tax payers money.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Here in Mass anything not OBDII doesn't have to pass emissions, just safety. Technically you are supposed to have it all in place, but they dont check. BUT modified exhaust is illegal here, hence having the quite ass dyno-max mufflers on my car. Got a sticker no prob and I have no emissions equip.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
in my county we have it in OH one of the 7 counties, and i am mile from a non e check county... my parent's county does not so I register there... I dont have time to take all my cars to get e checked, especially in Jan...

ZV Cobra

Established Member
in my county we have it in OH one of the 7 counties, and i am mile from a non e check county... my parent's county does not so I register there... I dont have time to take all my cars to get e checked, especially in Jan...

I used to live in one of the non emission counties in Ohio which was so nice. Moved to Utah and had to redo my whole exhaust for this damn crap.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
I live about an hour west of DC. No emissions testing here.

Just haven't had the scratch to do the cat less X yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Users who are viewing this thread