Employment credit checks

Credit check before getting hired, In favor?

• yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • dilligaf

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
thats funny.

im pretty sure if i stole money, my credit would be spotless as id be able to pay for shit on time, at least until i went to jail. then it would likely take a huge hit, but then again, id have multiple felonies and probably never work with money again, so no reason to run a credit check after that point anyways.

FWIW; my current employer didnt even give me a drug test, let alone a background check or credit check. We had a 30min "getting to know you" chat and he said "come in to work on Monday".

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Some people dont need loans. Some people own and dont rent. You dont need your ss # to get cable.

I have a credit score, but some people dont. They can run there credit and it comes up 0! This is my goal eventually.

if you own your house you have a credit score, unless you paid cash for it. a mortgage is a loan and they all get reported to the credit bureau.

the only way to have a credit score of 0 is to live off the grid. no loans, no credit cards, no bank accounts, no SS#, and to pay cash for everything else like rent, food, and utilities.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
if you own your house you have a credit score, unless you paid cash for it. a mortgage is a loan and they all get reported to the credit bureau.

the only way to have a credit score of 0 is to live off the grid. no loans, no credit cards, no bank accounts, no SS#, and to pay cash for everything else like rent, food, and utilities.

even if you "live off the grid" youre on the grid somewhere, unless your parents never got you a SS#.

i dont think there is really any way to truly live off the grid unless you are a bum or live in the mountains in a hut and hunt your own food.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
even if you "live off the grid" youre on the grid somewhere, unless your parents never got you a SS#.

i dont think there is really any way to truly live off the grid unless you are a bum or live in the mountains in a hut and hunt your own food.

agreed. and even if you do have a SSN if you don't work it can't be used to track you down

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
If you're in accounting/payroll/hr then I can see doing a credit check. But if you're hiring someone for IT, manual labor, etc. there's no reason.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
LOL bad credit doesnt mean that person is a theif, maybe it was because of medical bills or a bitch ass exwife that ruined your credit, why should someone be discriminated against for a job because of that?

business is business and home life and finances are somehting diffrent.

silverstang23

Established Member
For certain jobs I can see the benefits. When hiring someone, I would want to know the most information I can about that person. You are making an important investment for your company. A persons credit can indicate a lot of things.

Who would want an accountant that can't manage their personal finances?

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
If you're in accounting/payroll/hr then I can see doing a credit check. But if you're hiring someone for IT, manual labor, etc. there's no reason.

Exactly! Keep in mind the times of today..if I had solid credit for 20 years, lost my job for 6 months secrewing my credit up, that doesn't make me a bad person for a job.

Bird_Of_Prey

Established Member
Exactly! Keep in mind the times of today..if I had solid credit for 20 years, lost my job for 6 months secrewing my credit up, that doesn't make me a bad person for a job.

Here is what you guys aren't seeing. If you had PERFECT credit for 20 years, and then a 6 MONTH job loss dumps your shit, you made poor decisions and were overextended prior to the loss.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
IMO a credit check is ok in a few situations, but for the most part its complete BS, as many have mentioned the military does checks for certain clearances, with is OK with me. If youre gonna be handling national secrets you should probably be in good financial standing.

But consider this, awhile back chase bumped up my interest rate to 29.99% for no damn reason, I promptly have them the finger and closed the account (the account only had like $200 on it) but because I closed the account it hurt my credit score. In another situation a hospital billed my insurance incorrectly and then sent it to a collection agency (all without any notice) when I saw what happened I had the hospital correct THEIR error and everyone was happy. But I cannot get that off my credit report for some reason.

I had excellent credit now I have good credit. But what if these same things happened to someone that had average credit? They'd be dropped to poor credit which could result in them not getting a job.

Just saying

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Well let's see you are doing fine and never miss a payment on any loan car, house etc then one day you lose your job or get injured...oops now you've lost your car and house and your credit sucks and now no one will hire you since your credit is bad so I guess you have no choice but to crawl under a rock and die. People want to punish others for bad credit more than they want to punish murderers, rapist and thieves...pathetic!

I would starve before I stole from anyone...I hate thieves.

That's why you have savings for that sort of thing, and don't live so far beyond your means that missing a few paychecks will cause you to file for bankruptcy :idea:

LOL bad credit doesnt mean that person is a theif, maybe it was because of medical bills or a bitch ass exwife that ruined your credit, why should someone be discriminated against for a job because of that?

business is business and home life and finances are somehting diffrent.

If they're pulling your credit history, they're getting more than just your raw score. If your credit score is low because something unexpected like medical bills, it will say so.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I dont see how you can discriminate against a person for a job by their stupid credit score. what if their identity was stolen? or other things like that, has nothing to do with work history, or the quality of person you are.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I dont see how you can discriminate against a person for a job by their stupid credit score. what if their identity was stolen? or other things like that, has nothing to do with work history, or the quality of person you are.

Again, that will show when they check your credit. And usually, you can get identity theft off your record.

Do you also think it's unfair to have your credit pulled when you're applying for a loan? After all, they're only looking to see how responsible you are :shrug:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Again, that will show when they check your credit. And usually, you can get identity theft off your record.

Do you also think it's unfair to have your credit pulled when you're applying for a loan? After all, they're only looking to see how responsible you are :shrug:

loans are alot diffrent then jobs...... give me some credit here

I know quite abit about the whole system.
My mom is the vice president of a loan deparment in a decent sized bank. i have heard about credit most of my life

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Some people dont need loans. Some people own and dont rent. You dont need your ss # to get cable.

I have a credit score, but some people dont. They can run there credit and it comes up 0! This is my goal eventually.

Once again you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Well let's see you are doing fine and never miss a payment on any loan car, house etc then one day you lose your job or get injured...oops now you've lost your car and house and your credit sucks and now no one will hire you since your credit is bad so I guess you have no choice but to crawl under a rock and die. People want to punish others for bad credit more than they want to punish murderers, rapist and thieves...pathetic!

I would starve before I stole from anyone...I hate thieves.

If you have perfect credit and you lose your job or whatever, it takes a good while for your credit to tank. Also, don't forget that you can almost always pick up the phone and work something out with the people you owe money to. Everyone in this thread makes it seem like it's an overnight thing. If you're ever so unfortunate that you're in that situation and you don't get off your ass and work something out, you deserve what you get. I've heard every excuse there is when it comes to this crap.

Here is what you guys aren't seeing. If you had PERFECT credit for 20 years, and then a 6 MONTH job loss dumps your shit, you made poor decisions and were overextended prior to the loss.

Yep, not to mention your credit just doesn't tank overnight.

But consider this, awhile back chase bumped up my interest rate to 29.99% for no damn reason, I promptly have them the finger and closed the account (the account only had like $200 on it) but because I closed the account it hurt my credit score.

In another situation a hospital billed my insurance incorrectly and then sent it to a collection agency (all without any notice) when I saw what happened I had the hospital correct THEIR error and everyone was happy. But I cannot get that off my credit report for some reason.

Scenario 1 - So if I understnad correctly, you closed that 29% card with a balance on it? If so, no shit it will hurt you. You NEVER close an account with a balance. If you paid it off and closed it, and it really did hurt your score, it's because you don't have crap else for accounts and it wasn't very old at all. That kind of hurt is only temporary, assuming you don't screw a bunch of other stuff up.

Scenario 2 - BS you're not telling the whole story. If it really went on your credit like that with "no notice" it's time to sue the hell out of them. You're full of crap and I can smell it from here. Let's say they really didn't give you notice, you dispute it and state your "facts" in the dispute. If it's true, they'll remove it. I'm telling you, you either don't have a clue what you're talking about or you're full of shit. PM me if you want me to get it off your report, assuming you aren't full of shit like I think you are.

That's why you have savings for that sort of thing, and don't live so far beyond your means that missing a few paychecks will cause you to file for bankruptcy :idea:

If they're pulling your credit history, they're getting more than just your raw score. If your credit score is low because something unexpected like medical bills, it will say so.

+1

loans are alot diffrent then jobs...... give me some credit here

I know quite abit about the whole system.
My mom is the vice president of a loan deparment in a decent sized bank. i have heard about credit most of my life

LOLOL that makes you a genius hey? How old are you out of curiosity? I've run circles around fools at banks and credit unions.. even credit card companies. Just because your mom works in a loan department doesn't mean she knows anything....... and just because you overheard your mommy talking about work doesn't mean you know anything either. Just sayin.

Edit: I See you're 26..

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
LOLOL that makes you a genius hey? How old are you out of curiosity? I've run circles around fools at banks and credit unions.. even credit card companies. Just because your mom works in a loan department doesn't mean she knows anything....... and just because you overheard your mommy talking about work doesn't mean you know anything either. Just sayin.

Edit: I See you're 26..

Did someone piss in your wheaties this morning or are you just a flaming d-bag on a daily basis???

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Did someone piss in your wheaties this morning or are you just a flaming d-bag on a daily basis???

Depends on who you ask. I like to think that I just don't like it when people give others bad advice on things I know a lot about. Take it how you want it, but the assload of people I've helped over the last couple years that have gone to horrible credit to 800's ficos would probably side with me.

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member

No, he just thinks he is the self-proclaimed expert of SVTP when it comes to credit. I've had to school him on errors before. In his "scenario 2" quote, he again does not have the background or experience to know that medical billing in this country is very archaic, and the billing systems are virtually relics of old. The fact that he asked you to PM him to get it off your report leads me to believe that he works for some type of credit repair company. And beware of those companies, they are shady and try to get things removed off of people's reports through illegal means.

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member
but the assload of people I've helped over the last couple years that have gone to horrible credit to 800's ficos would probably side with me.

You've got an assload of people from horrible credit to 800+ FICO scores within a couple of years??????:lol: Can you please show us some examples?

You must be the smartest man alive! To get "assloads" of people into the top 3% of Americans who have a FICO Classic V2 score of 800-830.:D

Users who are viewing this thread