Employment credit checks

Credit check before getting hired, In favor?

• yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • dilligaf

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Depends on who you ask. I like to think that I just don't like it when people give others bad advice on things I know a lot about. Take it how you want it, but the assload of people I've helped over the last couple years that have gone to horrible credit to 800's ficos would probably side with me.

LOL how did i give bad advice, because i think its rediculous to check a credit score for employment? If thats the case then you should check a persons medical background as well......

Its personal and none of the employers business.

background check fine, i am ok with that, but credit no.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
You've got an assload of people from horrible credit to 800+ FICO scores within a couple of years??????:lol: Can you please show us some examples?

You must be the smartest man alive! To get "assloads" of people into the top 3% of Americans who have a FICO Classic V2 score of 800-830.:D

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Doesn't that hurt? To be that ignorant? It HAS to. If you think someone who knows a few laws and can fix poor credit is the smartest man alive, I'd hate to be you. To be fair, I didn't say all 3 ficos were 800+ but at least 1 of them was and the others weren't far behind if they weren't 800+. Also, per myfico, 13% of people have 800+ scores. 40% of people have a 750+ score so IDK why you think it's so magical to not have a bunch of negs on your credit.

scorerangepercentage.png

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
No, he just thinks he is the self-proclaimed expert of SVTP when it comes to credit. I've had to school him on errors before. In his "scenario 2" quote, he again does not have the background or experience to know that medical billing in this country is very archaic, and the billing systems are virtually relics of old. The fact that he asked you to PM him to get it off your report leads me to believe that he works for some type of credit repair company. And beware of those companies, they are shady and try to get things removed off of people's reports through illegal means.

Oh my god. What have you schooled me on? Please remind me. I don't have the background or experience with medical issues on credit??? LOL You're killin me. I don't think I'm THE expert, but I have to be pretty close. I don't work for any credit repair company. All I do is send instruct people how to dispute their stuff FOR FREE. I've never charged anyone ever for credit help. You don't know what you're talking about. Also, pay attention. I didn't tell Pho to PM me anything. I told LOLsaurus to PM me if he wanted help. FREE HELP. This is why I rarely help people on this board. People like you get all salty cause you probably paid out the ass for your ejimakashun and some dude learned the same stuff and more for free.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
LOL bad credit doesnt mean that person is a theif, maybe it was because of medical bills or a bitch ass exwife that ruined your credit, why should someone be discriminated against for a job because of that?
It is not discrimination. it is, in some cases, good business. No one is saying that having poor credit makes you a thief. it CAN however make you subseptible to becoming one depending on the job. it also CAN show how responsible you are. If you are not responsible enough to run your own life how can I expect you to be responsible enough in your employment?

In today's world it is easy enough to explain what happened and I think employer's are willing to look at the whole package rather than eliminating just on the basis of a credit report. but your credit score is part of the WHOLE package.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Oh my god. What have you schooled me on? Please remind me. I don't have the background or experience with medical issues on credit??? LOL You're killin me. I don't think I'm THE expert, but I have to be pretty close. I don't work for any credit repair company. All I do is send instruct people how to dispute their stuff FOR FREE. I've never charged anyone ever for credit help. You don't know what you're talking about. Also, pay attention. I didn't tell Pho to PM me anything. I told LOLsaurus to PM me if he wanted help. FREE HELP. This is why I rarely help people on this board. People like you get all salty cause you probably paid out the ass for your ejimakashun and some dude learned the same stuff and more for free.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
It is not discrimination. it is, in some cases, good business. No one is saying that having poor credit makes you a thief. it CAN however make you subseptible to becoming one depending on the job. it also CAN show how responsible you are. If you are not responsible enough to run your own life how can I expect you to be responsible enough in your employment?
In today's world it is easy enough to explain what happened and I think employer's are willing to look at the whole package rather than eliminating just on the basis of a credit report. but your credit score is part of the WHOLE package.

While i do see your point, i do feel that my home life is my home life and has nothing to do with business or the way i perform my job. Just the way i see it

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member
LOLOLOLOLOLOL Doesn't that hurt? To be that ignorant? It HAS to. If you think someone who knows a few laws and can fix poor credit is the smartest man alive, I'd hate to be you. To be fair, I didn't say all 3 ficos were 800+ but at least 1 of them was and the others weren't far behind if they weren't 800+. Also, per myfico, 13% of people have 800+ scores. 40% of people have a 750+ score so IDK why you think it's so magical to not have a bunch of negs on your credit.

scorerangepercentage.png

That FICO distribution is so far out of whack, it's not even funny. That looks like a spreadsheet that YOU created. And if you are trying to tell me that myfico.com created it.....then when was that created? 5-10 years ago? And by the way, Fair Isaac does not make the most predictive scores out there. And where do you think they get their data from? I happen to work at one of the three major bureaus, and have been here a very long time. Knowing every law and how credit works is something I have to be an expert at for my job. I've seen the national distribution of FICO scores across America, and that crap you posted is no where close to the real data. How do you feel now? Knowing that I have access to the actual facts, and you don't?

I already called BS on you taking "assloads" of people from horrible credit to 800+ FICO scores. I've called you on your bluff, now prove me wrong.

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member

I didn't pay anyone for my knowledge on this subject, I had to learn it myself. My job duty requires that I know everything about consumer credit law. If you think that the medical billing system in America is perfect, then that is a subject you are just ignorant about. Seeing the amount of medical billing mistakes and medical collections accounts are out there (at the bureau level) you can't help but take notice at something so prevalent. Plus having knowledge and first-hand observation of hospitals billing systems, I think I might know what I'm talking about.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
That FICO distribution is so far out of whack, it's not even funny. That looks like a spreadsheet that YOU created. And if you are trying to tell me that myfico.com created it.....then when was that created? 5-10 years ago? And by the way, Fair Isaac does not make the most predictive scores out there. And where do you think they get their data from? I happen to work at one of the three major bureaus, and have been here a very long time. Knowing every law and how credit works is something I have to be an expert at for my job. I've seen the national distribution of FICO scores across America, and that crap you posted is no where close to the real data. How do you feel now? Knowing that I have access to the actual facts, and you don't?

I already called BS on you taking "assloads" of people from horrible credit to 800+ FICO scores. I've called you on your bluff, now prove me wrong.

LOL check the image location son. You'll notice that fico score image is hosted on myfico.com. How do I feel now? Uhh no different at all. Did you expect me to feel stupid or something because you disagree with myfico.com? You probably work at Experian don't you? Your attitude fits perfectly with some of the dbags I've dealt with there. I know Transunion has some stuff in IL but all the people I've worked with there have all been cool so you must not work there. How am I supposed to prove you wrong? What am I bluffing on? Do you want me to give you the phone numbers of a bunch of family, friends, co-workers and even some people on here? LOL. Believe what you want but you didn't prove shit to me. I'm still waiting to see what you "schooled" me on. The 1 and only time I can ever recall being put in my place about credit on here is when someone mentioned annualcreditreport, and for some reason I read it as freecreditreport and started going off. That was a legitimate goof on my part. I don't remember any other time I felt like a dumbass regarding credit on here.

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I didn't pay anyone for my knowledge on this subject, I had to learn it myself. My job duty requires that I know everything about consumer credit law. If you think that the medical billing system in America is perfect, then that is a subject you are just ignorant about. Seeing the amount of medical billing mistakes and medical collections accounts are out there (at the bureau level) you can't help but take notice at something so prevalent. Plus having knowledge and first-hand observation of hospitals billing systems, I think I might know what I'm talking about.

So you can learn it all for free but it's impossible for me to learn the same stuff? LOL. You're telling me you don't have some total moron co-workers? I must've just gotten the 1 in a million.. multiple times.

Who said I think medical billing is perfect? Why are you straying from the topic? My point was that I don't believe LOLsaurus wasn't notified multiple times that his bill was going to collections. I also don't believe the CA didn't send him a letter with a chance to dispute. There are too many holes in the story. Are you honestly trying to say that if his story is true, that it wouldn't be easy as hell to fix? C'mon now.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Alright, I stayed 15min late at work to argue with some random person on the internet. I'm going home now. Perhaps we can continue this later.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Scenario 1 - So if I understnad correctly, you closed that 29% card with a balance on it? If so, no shit it will hurt you. You NEVER close an account with a balance. If you paid it off and closed it, and it really did hurt your score, it's because you don't have crap else for accounts and it wasn't very old at all. That kind of hurt is only temporary, assuming you don't screw a bunch of other stuff up.

Scenario 2 - BS you're not telling the whole story. If it really went on your credit like that with "no notice" it's time to sue the hell out of them. You're full of crap and I can smell it from here. Let's say they really didn't give you notice, you dispute it and state your "facts" in the dispute. If it's true, they'll remove it. I'm telling you, you either don't have a clue what you're talking about or you're full of shit. PM me if you want me to get it off your report, assuming you aren't full of shit like I think you are.

1) You're right I should have done my homework first, even though I closed the account and paid it off the next day it still hurt my credit score.

2) Wow, just wow! You wanna know the whole story? I had a fun little ambulance ride a couple years back the total ambulance bill came to almost $900 (for a 1/4 mile trip :cuss:) I gave them my primary and secondary insurance to cover the cost. Well they bill my secondary as my primary, and my primary as my secondary so obviously they weren't gonna get paid like that. But I was not aware of this until I got a notice from a collection on behalf of the ambulance company about 6 months later, During this time I recieved no bills or anything from the ambulance company. I go (in person) to the ambulance place and speak with some people there, I had them correct the issue and they called the collections agency and admitted that they messed up and that the account was all good and paid off, I was told that because the account had JUST gone to collections and since I acted fast that this would not appear on my credit report or hurt me in anyway. Well its on my credit report, I tried to dispute it but that got no where if I remember correctly they (the credit reporting agency) said there was insufficient evidence.

So theres the whole story, oh and maybe next time you could try not coming across as such a jackass :thumbsup:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
1) You're right I should have done my homework first, even though I closed the account and paid it off the next day it still hurt my credit score.

2) Wow, just wow! You wanna know the whole story? I had a fun little ambulance ride a couple years back the total ambulance bill came to almost $900 (for a 1/4 mile trip :cuss:) I gave them my primary and secondary insurance to cover the cost. Well they bill my secondary as my primary, and my primary as my secondary so obviously they weren't gonna get paid like that. But I was not aware of this until I got a notice from a collection on behalf of the ambulance company about 6 months later, During this time I recieved no bills or anything from the ambulance company. I go (in person) to the ambulance place and speak with some people there, I had them correct the issue and they called the collections agency and admitted that they messed up and that the account was all good and paid off, I was told that because the account had JUST gone to collections and since I acted fast that this would not appear on my credit report or hurt me in anyway. Well its on my credit report, I tried to dispute it but that got no where if I remember correctly they (the credit reporting agency) said there was insufficient evidence.

So theres the whole story, oh and maybe next time you could try not coming across as such a jackass :thumbsup:

Okay, since this isn't smackdown here ya go.. Sorry for coming across like a jackass. 99.99999999999% of everyone I see dealing with credit stuff is full of shit so that's where I'm coming from. Hearing things like, "My mom is the vice president of a loan deparment in a decent sized bank. i have heard about credit most of my life" absolutely kills me. The 1 bank I tried to talk to about loans was totally worthless and nobody knew shit. When I asked questions the answer I got was, "uhh IDK we just put your information into the computer." That was a "head loan officer" too.

Unless they have an incorrect address for you, you should've gotten multiple notices before it went to collections. Whatever happened happened so you can only move forward, hence me messaging you. Do you want my help to get it off your report or no?

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
My company does it on every applicant. The info is not always useful because a Technician can have bad credit and still do a good job. Someone applying for a Accounting position is a different story. If they cant keep track of their own income / expenses they how can we be assured they can manage corporate money. In that case it is worth it 100%.

If you could run Credit reports on employees holding specific positions where money is managed then I would welcome the change but the EEOC's would not.

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I dont see how you can discriminate against a person for a job by their stupid credit score. what if their identity was stolen? or other things like that, has nothing to do with work history, or the quality of person you are.

Someone just kill me when they make people with poor credit a protected class.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Someone just kill me when they make people with poor credit a protected class.

a protected class?

Thats not what i am saying. i am saying that a persons personal life shouldnt have anything to do with them gettting a job. It should be about qualifications and not based on a credit score...

I know that the insurance companys charge higher rates for people with less than stellar credit scores, and thats bullshit too, i can see them saying ok you have bad credit so you have to pay all 6 months up front instead of month payments, thats fine but to charge more is b.s.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I'm more concerned about how this stature would affect college grads with credit card debt and student loans. They are young and have poor credit from acquiring debt for higher education. Credit checks for job qualifications is not necessarily fair.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
a protected class?

Thats not what i am saying. i am saying that a persons personal life shouldnt have anything to do with them gettting a job. It should be about qualifications and not based on a credit score...

I know that the insurance companys charge higher rates for people with less than stellar credit scores, and thats bullshit too, i can see them saying ok you have bad credit so you have to pay all 6 months up front instead of month payments, thats fine but to charge more is b.s.

Do you think employers shouldn't be able to run criminal background checks as well? They're used for virtually the same reason - to determine if you are a responsible individual. Your credit isn't personal; it's not something you're born with, or something you use only in the privacy of your own home, it's a detail of your business relationship with the world.

I'm more concerned about how this stature would affect college grads with credit card debt and student loans. They are young and have poor credit from acquiring debt for higher education. Credit checks for job qualifications is not necessarily fair.

I was always told student loans reflected positively on your credit; my credit history with my student loans was one of the major reasons I got financed on my car and then later my house, since it's the bulk of my credit history. However, I was able to avoid the credit card debt most grads can't seem to avoid.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Do you think employers shouldn't be able to run criminal background checks as well? They're used for virtually the same reason - to determine if you are a responsible individual. Your credit isn't personal; it's not something you're born with, or something you use only in the privacy of your own home, it's a detail of your business relationship with the world.

In a previous post i said that i was fine with background checks, that is totally diffrent, and no credit score is indeed very personal, thats why you have to sign a release before people can check it, I cant just google your name and find out your credit score.

also in a background check they wont see stuff thats not your fault.

as in if i got arrested for assualt thats on my background check. that is my fault and should be considered when trying to get a job...

but if my ex wife ran up thousands in debt that i dont know about in my name and its all on my credit report because i dont have the funds to just "clear up" my report why should that keep me from getting a job?? thats bull shit.

And i highly doubt that you will have a chance to discuss with your future employer why you have those charges.

you might as well let them see your medical history too while your at it

Last edited:

Dominator

The Shogun of Harlem
Established Member
Do you want me to give you the phone numbers of a bunch of family, friends, co-workers and even some people on here? LOL.
So a few friends and family equals an assload of people? ummm ok. I'm calling BS on you taking these people from horrible credit to 800+ FICO scores in such a short amount of time. You keep asking people to PM you how to fix their credit (which still stinks of a credit repair company's tactics). Why don't you share with all of us how you do it? Please tell us how you legitamately and legally can take someone with horrible credit (less than a 500 FICO score) to 800+. I'm dying to hear this.

So you can learn it all for free but it's impossible for me to learn the same stuff? LOL. You're telling me you don't have some total moron co-workers? I must've just gotten the 1 in a million.. multiple times.

Who said I think medical billing is perfect? Why are you straying from the topic? My point was that I don't believe LOLsaurus wasn't notified multiple times that his bill was going to collections. I also don't believe the CA didn't send him a letter with a chance to dispute. There are too many holes in the story. Are you honestly trying to say that if his story is true, that it wouldn't be easy as hell to fix? C'mon now.

Yeah, my company is in the business to hire complete idiots and purposely try to fail.:burn: I never said it's impossible to learn consumer credit law, you're putting words in my mouth now. It is public knowledge that can be had for free with diligence and hard work. And what topic am I straying from? You basically said LOLsaurus is full of shit without even knowing all the facts. Yes, a creditor is supposed to notify a debtor of past due balances and sending it to a collection agency. Yes, the collection agency is required to notify the debtor in writing within 30 days of acquiring the debt, to give the debtor a chance to dispute it. But do you honestly think that happens 100% of the time? What if his identity had been stolen? What if they had an incorrect address, as another member here already pointed out? Those procedures are in place for a reason, but if you think they are 100% fool-proof, then that is just another subject you are ignorant on.

You do have a lot more credit knowledge than the average person. But the way you jump to conclusions and talk to members here about their situations, shows you coming off as a dick. I guess everybody is not raised to have manners or a sense of common courtesy.:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread