End up in a career you didnt expect to have?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
My entire background is in the automotive industry. Went to a trade high school and then to UTI. I just turned 23 so I still have some time to figure things out, but I am getting extremely burnt out with my job as a service writer. I love my co-workers but the customers can be absolutely ruthless. Everyday I dream of punching some of the people who come in for service. I'm at the top of my pay level(which isn't much) and cause of that I don't have much motivation to be amazing at my job. Just enough to not get in trouble with the managers. I'm trying to get away from a desk job. I have my Class A CDL and a hoisting license to operate machinery. But, the pay for those jobs are not any better than what I'm doing. I'm curious to see how many of you went to school for one career and ended up to doing something completely different. Or fell into a career kind of by accident and were able to have financial and mental happiness.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Do you have a salary or career goal?
Well like anybody the salary goal would be anything over 6 figures. But, for me to happy, 75K minimum. The original career goal was to follow in my fathers foot steps and become a state trooper. But, I have better odds hitting the lottery because its extremely competitive to get in. The 2nd goal was to become a equipment operator making big bucks like some of my friends. But the companies they work for are never hiring for obvious reasons.

newbie1276

Established Member
20 years in the automotive field...
Started in the pits of of quick lube.
Ended up opening my own and got burnt out working 7 days a week and got sick of looking at cars.
Same as you I have a 2a 1c operators license but those jobs are so unstable around here especially after the big dig was complete.
After I closed my shop I was fortunate to be able to do excavating side work and take a year off and do some traveling with the wife.
Then on a whim one day I met an old customer of mine who happened to to be looking for someone to run his service dept. He owned an electrical outfit and they had a division that installed and repaired emergency generators. Never In a million years would I have thought this is what I would be doing for work. But it has been 5 years and even though it has its time that suck hurricanes and blizzards it is still fun going to work every day and having weekends off to spend time with the wife and kid.
It's never to late to change a career especially if your burnt out from the one your in. Your health and happiness is number one priority.

Coming Up

WeStayClean
Established Member
If your goal is to become a state trooper, start preparing yourself for it. It doesnt come easy but if you really want it, eventually someone will pick you up.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
If your goal is to become a state trooper, start preparing yourself for it. It doesnt come easy but if you really want it, eventually someone will pick you up.
The problem is that police academies are far and few between. Our last academy was 2 years ago. Then before that it was 6 years ago. So you have 10,000 applicants and say 200 get accepted. You have to potentially wait 6 years to go through the academy then you go on patrol.

MG0h3

Established Member
Went to tech school during high school for diesel and heavy equipment. Worked at one shop during my 7yr stint in the automotive field and did more light auto than heavy equipment which is fine with me.

A friend of mine was recruited for LE and for whatever reason I applied too. Guess I was burnt out on wrenching as well. Been LE almost 14yrs now. Never saw myself doing it but I've been successful and still enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zemedici

Established Member
Never thought I'd be running a performance shop.

Wrote service as well, at a few different locations, and the customers can make or break that job. Move to a different location or brand if you're not happy where you're at.

Stateguy

Established Member
Lol, i went to school for agriculture business and worked in the Industry for two years and got burnt out. I transitioned into heavy equipment manufacturing and got tired of a fluctuating market. I ended up in pharmaceutical manufacturing and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I went to school for engineering. Wanted nothing to do with the electronics industry. I'm now manufacturing electronics components.

IllCobra

Established Member
Well like anybody the salary goal would be anything over 6 figures. But, for me to happy, 75K minimum. The original career goal was to follow in my fathers foot steps and become a state trooper. But, I have better odds hitting the lottery because its extremely competitive to get in. The 2nd goal was to become a equipment operator making big bucks like some of my friends. But the companies they work for are never hiring for obvious reasons.
I have buddy that was making $76k a year working as a cop in Tampa. He did say he worked a lot of detail. He just quit cause he's moving to NC to work drilling/laying pipe for an oil company. A co-worker of his hooked him up with the job cause he's leaving to work there too. He said he's going to be making $130k... I told him to let me know if it works out and i'll join him in NC for that kind of money.
How did your buddies get the equipment operator jobs? They can't put in a good word for you? Most of the people i know with high paying jobs got that job because of people they know.

blk02edge

Established Member
Straight out of high school I got suckered into being an electrician. Been doing that for 10 years now. Commercial Helicopter school when I turn 30.

Always thought I'd be working on custom cars as a kid

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Enlist, then do whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Thought about it. Family doesn't support it and one of my co-workers is in the military and he hates every second of it and from what he says, doesn't sound like something I could go through with.

Users who are viewing this thread