Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Just to put this here.

TrueStreetMotorSports.com said:
Wow, shops just can't win on the internet.....

I'm not going to go into a long disscution on this because the flames are just going to get fueled.

Car was pulled in, fuel lines removed, injectors/rails were removed, new injectors installed, plugs were pulled, (plugs to be gapped for more nitrous) plugs reinstalled, fuel lines reinstalled. Tried starting car and and motor turned over two times then "clunk" we checked starter then decided to turn motor over by hand to check the flywheel to see if a piece had broke off. Motor would not budge. We pulled plugs again to check for a leaky injector, all cylinders were dry. Pulled valve covers to check timing chains/guides ect. All turned out just fine. Customer said he wants to pull the motor at this point and stroke it, and port heads. So we pulled the motor...... advised customer of what we have found.

Also I have been in contact with the two ford dealership we do business with (bob tomes and five star) bob tomes has had 3 motors with bent rods (two 2012 and one 2013) and five star has had one 2012.

Both of these dealers tell me that there customers had similar stories. Car ran and drove great. Next thing they know the car wont start......

There are other storie on the Internet of 5.0's and boss mustangs have similar issues.

here is a link to another site with 5.0s locking up

Engine seized! 2012 gt 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

I'm sure we can not get all others that are having similar issues with the 5.0's locking up but we have worked a special deal with the customer that he is happy with.

Take from it what you will, but everyone that knows the guys at TSM and everyone related to this situation pretty much stand behind them.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
And there have it. As I said, Ford knows there is a problem they just aren't talking about it so that there is not a massive TSB/warranty issue. They will take it on a case by case basis. It's cheaper that way for them. lol.

JerryC

Established Member
I would not be satisfied as a shop owner if that happened in my shop. Things dont "just happen", a bent rod doesnt just happen, there is a cause. If you don't what the cause was for this one, how will you avoid the next one?

If I was a potential customer this would scare me off, it comes across as "one customer had a rod just bend right here in our shop after we worked on it, but Ford says that it happens. It's all good though because he is paying us to build him another motor".

JerryC

Established Member
And there have it. As I said, Ford knows there is a problem they just aren't talking about it so that there is not a massive TSB/warranty issue. They will take it on a case by case basis. It's cheaper that way for them. lol.

From his link
first post in the thread:
"Car is 2 months old, 4900 miles on it, broke the engine in properly. It seized after doing a 10-60 mph pull at WOT."
Post 32:
"So the tech looked at the car, say the engine is gone. He said the oil is pretty much gone but the block is not broke and there is no sign of it leaking out. I know the car was full when 3 days ago because I checked it."

That doesnt sound a mysterious or similar event to what happened to the OP's car.

It turns out that the "known problem" is oil consumption. That guys engine had 3 qts in it when it blew.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Why is the shop quoteing a thread for oil consumption? :confused::confused:

The concern for the op is a bent rod.

There is no talk about a bent rod in that whole thread.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
From his link
first post in the thread:
"Car is 2 months old, 4900 miles on it, broke the engine in properly. It seized after doing a 10-60 mph pull at WOT."
Post 32:
"So the tech looked at the car, say the engine is gone. He said the oil is pretty much gone but the block is not broke and there is no sign of it leaking out. I know the car was full when 3 days ago because I checked it."

That doesnt sound a mysterious or similar event to what happened to the OP's car.

It turns out that the "known problem" is oil consumption. That guys engine had 3 qts in it when it blew.

Exactly people in this thread can't read. They got there heads so far up this shops butt even when the shop post info about a car that blew a motor due to lack of oil which is a known issue that the 5.0 use oil in the 1st 5k miles which Ford put a tsb out about it. It's not a rod issue.

Last edited:

awful knawful

Established Member
the shop is talking in circles and the OP is believing it all. oil consumtion has nothing to do with hydrolocking/ bent rod.
alot of people who own these cars know nothing about them and have someone else do all the work.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the shop is talking in circles and the OP is believing it all. oil consumtion has nothing to do with hydrolocking/ bent rod.
alot of people who own these cars know nothing about them and have someone else do all the work.

Yup I agree with this.

Fun4me

Established Member
Might as well get a new tranny, if the OP has money to blow. At first I was OK with the fact they don't want to admit responsibilty "officially". But the more I think about it, it just not
right. If they are a good shop, they should know the reason the motor locked-up and not blame ford for every problem w/ these cars.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Well I just went to lunch and dodged a bullet. The motor didn't bend a rod. Whew! Hopefully it'll start at the end of the day too. You just never know.

awful knawful

Established Member
Well I just went to lunch and dodged a bullet. The motor didn't bend a rod. Whew! Hopefully it'll start at the end of the day too. You just never know.

lucky you. A shop who has my car told me these Coyote's had rod bending problems. :shrug:

edit: the shop just called and my car bent a rod. It's not their fault, it's a known Ford problem.....

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Lol typical car forums everyone knows everything. Seriously guys they aren't blaming ford for the bent rod. But there is no evidence of the work they did caused the bent rod too. They worked me a sweet deal for my engine and get the heads done. I'm not wasting my money like some of you know it all seems to think. So please stop acting so damn retarded in my thread.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Lol typical car forums everyone knows everything. Seriously guys they aren't blaming ford for the bent rod. But there is no evidence of the work they did caused the bent rod too. They worked me a sweet deal for my engine and get the heads done. I'm not wasting my money like some of you know it all seems to think. So please stop acting so damn retarded in my thread.

I think you are taking some of these comments the wrong way...well, maybe not the previous few...lol, but all in all, I think guys are upset becuase it really does "Seem" that the shop is pawning off their mistake on a "Ford Problem"....if there even is a Ford problem to begin with...
My impression from reading this thread is that almost everyone is on your side in this and don't want you getting taken advantage of in this whole deal.
Ever ask yourself why you are getting such a great deal on a rebuild/build?...Would you be getting the same hook-up if your car didn't bend a rod on their dyno after an injector swap??? :rollseyes

I wasn't there, nor was anyone else..Guys can only draw conclusions from facts that you post up.
At the end of the day, I'm glad you are happy with what is taking place..God knows I wouldn't be, but it's your car and your situation...Not mine or anyone else's. I look forward to the build. :beer:

Last edited:

awful knawful

Established Member
I think you are taking some of these comments the wrong way...well, maybe not the previous few...lol, but all in all, I think guys are upset becuase it really does "Seem" that the shop is pawning off their mistake on a "Ford Problem"....if there even is a Ford problem to begin with...
My impression from reading this thread is that almost everyone is on your side in this and don't want you getting taken advantage of in this whole deal.
Ever ask yourself why you are getting such a great deal on a rebuild/build?...Would you be getting the same hook-up if your car didn't bend a rod on their dyno after an injector swap??? :rollseyes

I wasn't there, nor was anyone else..Guys can only draw conclusions from facts that you post up.
At the end of the day, I'm glad you are happy with what is taking place..God knows I wouldn't be, but it's your car and your situation...Not mine or anyone else's. I look forward to the build. :beer:

great post. exactly what the rest of us are thinking.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
So, a question related to the discussion but irrelevant to the cause of the OP's problem:

There has been talk about the possibility of hydro-lock from the injectors leaking during removal. How does one ensure this doesn't happen during injector change? Does pulling the fuel pump relay and turning the car over until it won't start anymore preclude the possibility of such a catastrophic problem?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
So, a question related to the discussion but irrelevant to the cause of the OP's problem:

There has been talk about the possibility of hydro-lock from the injectors leaking during removal. How does one ensure this doesn't happen during injector change? Does pulling the fuel pump relay and turning the car over until it won't start anymore preclude the possibility of such a catastrophic problem?

I always, on other cars I have owned, have pulled the rail before disconnecting the line or any injectors...haven't played with this 5.0 yet, but I'm sure it can be done this way.
However if it turns out one of the new injectors is faulty (Leaky)... it creates a seperate issue altogether.

Last edited:

Napoleon85

Established Member
There has been talk about the possibility of hydro-lock from the injectors leaking during removal. How does one ensure this doesn't happen during injector change?

I would imagine if that were plausible at all then one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who have installed the Boss IM would have hydrolocked their engine. Just my 2c on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread