Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

momo stallion

ta'aj
Established Member
03blacksnake said:
I recorded a sound clip of what the tick sounds like on my car.

Click to tick

I have a video of it too if anyone wants it, but the the size gets rather large (15+ MB) in order to keep the audio quality good.

Basically the audio clip is recorded first from near the Cobra emblem near the drivers side front tire. Then I move down to ground level in the same spot almost underneath the car. You can tell on the sound clip as it gets louder.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone to try to diagnose if they have the tick or not. But, those of you that have it probably already know it without a doubt. I should find out tomorrow from SVT when I can expect my new head assembly to arrive. :nonono:

wow, just heard the clip... mine doesnt sound like that.

bigdave03svt

Established Member
mine was built in sept. 02 and no tick yet , but i hear tapping when the hood is up, but i think its just valvetrain noise. how loud is this tick ????

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
bigdave03svt said:
mine was built in sept. 02 and no tick yet , but i hear tapping when the hood is up, but i think its just valvetrain noise. how loud is this tick ????
I can still heard a faint noise which I believe is just the valvetrain, it is much better than it was before they replaced the left side cylinder head.

I think there's a sound clip of it somewhere on this forum.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Cobra's are such pussies. 1 run up to 140 and now I have the tick. :kaboom: :fm: :( :nonono:

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
gmynko said:
You should post a clip of your engine sound. BTW, nice meeting you yesterday.
Ok, here you go... I've posted the sound clip on my web site MY-SVT.com in the Multimedia: section.
_

Last edited:

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :sleeping:

Sorry about that... but for some reason I couldn't edit my last post, so I figured I'd just post a new reply.

FYI, The 'Engine Tick' sound clip has been moved to a new TSB page that I've just started on my web site MY-SVT.com.
You'll find the Technical Service Bulletins
new.gif
link located in the Links: section.
_

Last edited:

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :sleeping:

Here we go again, I still couldn't edit my last post, so I figured I'd just post a new one.

FYI, The 'Engine Tick' sound clip has been moved to a new page I just created MY-SVT.com.
The MY-SVT.com - TSB Page
new.gif
link located in the Technical Service Bulletins: section.

Sorry about all the confusion...
_

Last edited:

Calithekid

Established Member
I got this dame tick too I have motors guys say this it sound like a lifter or something about the tensioners inside the motor but dame its annoying

03TKTGTR

Established Member
I am very lucky I guess.
I have 67+ THOUSAND miles on my car, I am running a 17LB pulley with a K.B. & still am running quiet as hell, NO TICK...Touch Wood...LOL

silvercoffin

Established Member
loud tick

I started getting a loud ticking sound after running wed night. I came home and took off the blower belt because I was hoping it was just coming from the blower itself. With the belt off the tick was gone! I spun each pulley by hand and when I got to the bottom idler I discovered a crack all the way through the pulley. The surface wasnt even anymore. I also found out that all three idlers arent spinning well. THIS IS MY SECOND SET.. I already snapped the same bottom idler in half a year and a half ago and unfortunetely replaced all my idlers again with stock ones. I am going with a set of aftermnarket ones this time.

Just an idea.. Its easy to take the belt off and check. It was a pretty loud tick/clicking sound. I would think it could be easily mistaken for the TSB Issue.

I am thrilled thats all my noise was and that I found it before it really broke and did damage again. When my last one snapped the metal went flying around and cut through wires,damaged the AC, bent the radiator brackets into it, and ripped up the hoodliner along with the belt.

Definetely worth inspecting your idler pulleys!

apogue97cobra

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra and it has been ticking for almost ten years now, it seemed to mellow at 50,000 miles when i switched to 10w30 oil. i would not recomend that on something that new, but maybe bring it up a little. i am at 53,000 now and the tick has really never quit. When the car was new, i actually went to a seminar about the tick, and ford claims that it will not hurt the life of the car, but anytime i think of metal tapping together, i think excessive wear is happening, but that was like 8 years ago and so far (fingers crossed) no problems.

Last edited:

vr4

Established Member
venom279 said:
It positively cannot be lifters, OHV motors do not have lifters, the valve runs directly off the cam!!

nobody caught this?

we DO have hydraulic lash adjusters but im sure you know this by now.

anyways...im here because im looking at a 9k mile 03 that might have the tick. i have to take a better look at it.

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
big_goomba said:
I can still heard a faint noise...
After the left side cylinder head was replaced I could still hear a ticking noise once the engine warmed up. So I went back to the dealer and one of their technicians said that the noise was coming from the injectors. He actually let me use his stethoscope to listen to it. He said that the noise was typical and was nothing to worry about.

So I've been living with this dreaded ticking noise ever since then... that is until I changed to synthetic motor oil. Yes, it's true! I just changed to Amsoil XL 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil at 5K miles and the ticking noise is barely noticable now.

WDW MKR

Established Member
big_goomba said:
After the left side cylinder head was replaced I could still hear a ticking noise once the engine warmed up. So I went back to the dealer and one of their technicians said that the noise was coming from the injectors. He actually let me use his stethoscope to listen to it. He said that the noise was typical and was nothing to worry about.

So I've been living with this dreaded ticking noise ever since then... that is until I changed to synthetic motor oil. Yes, it's true! I just changed to Amsoil XL 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil at 5K miles and the ticking noise is barely noticable now.

I'd be worried about piston or cylinder wall damage if changing the oil effects the noise.

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I'd be worried about piston or cylinder wall damage if changing the oil effects the noise.
In my last post I forgot to ask if this made any sense...

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
resurrection...

is the tick audible through the exhaust? i seem to have a ticking on my passenger side and you can hear a clicking if you put your ear up to the passenger side exhaust. this is not present on the drivers side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread