Votes: 129 22.2%
  • Had tick, fix attempted, tick back

Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

03 Zinc Rocket

Established Member
I just picked my car up from DARCARS Ford in Lanham, Maryland today after it sat there for a week and a half. Of course they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem and it is probably the gas that I'm using. My car ticks all the time while upshifting between 2000 and 3000 rpms. I called the Ford hotline and they said that they back whatever the dealer's diagnosis is. What a crock of poop. Does anyone know of a dealer in the DC area that has worked on the Cobra for this problem? I'd like to take it somewhere that won't hassle me and just fix it.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03 Zinc Rocket said:
I just picked my car up from DARCARS Ford in Lanham, Maryland today after it sat there for a week and a half. Of course they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem and it is probably the gas that I'm using. My car ticks all the time while upshifting between 2000 and 3000 rpms. I called the Ford hotline and they said that they back whatever the dealer's diagnosis is. What a crock of poop. Does anyone know of a dealer in the DC area that has worked on the Cobra for this problem? I'd like to take it somewhere that won't hassle me and just fix it.
That DARCARS sucks man! I'd never take my car back there again! I took my car to Crystal Ford in Silver Spring and got my tranny replaced with no questions asked. I'd either go to Sheehy Ford or Crystals. If you're taking it to Crystal's just demod first though!

03 Zinc Rocket

Established Member
Luckily I haven't had the vibration problem. I did have the creaking steering problem. At least DARCARS did fix that after I took it in the second time.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I wonder if Jim knows that this old thread of his is still alive and kicking (or should I say ticking) over here! :-D

Last edited:

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
Quality

Tick, pop, squeak, vibration. :burn: I'd like to see comprehensive stats on exactly how many 03/04 Cobra owners have experienced each of the common problems. I'm sure it's all in the forum here and in modularfords.com. It would be nice to see it all summarized in one post - percentage of Cobras with each of the common problems.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Is Ford still dealing with the tick problem?

I'm concerned my vert that was a garage queen and now has 2600 miles may be developing the tick, but i DON'T KNOW.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
CobraNHYEE said:
I don't hear anything on the driver side when I kneel down by the wheel well. I hear a tapping noise on the passenger side by the wheel well. With the hood up I don't hear nothing, only injector noise. Anyone with this condition? Thanks

Yeah - that sounds just like me - except I can hear the noise on both sides by the wheel well.

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
Passenger Side Noise

gmynko said:
Yeah - that sounds just like me - except I can hear the noise on both sides by the wheel well.

Same here. Was turned away by two dealers and told the same thing. It's normal injector noise. Guess I'll just drive it till it gets worse or I get close to end of warranty. I'm dumping this car before the warranty runs out. I really like what I see with the 06 Shelby Cobra. Sweet! I love the Cobra. Unfortunately my experience with the 04 will keep me from buying another Ford. There's a reason Ford continues to decline and lose market share. Lack of product and service quality is a large factor.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
blacksnake04 said:
Same here. Was turned away by two dealers and told the same thing. It's normal injector noise. Guess I'll just drive it till it gets worse or I get close to end of warranty. I'm dumping this car before the warranty runs out. I really like what I see with the 06 Shelby Cobra. Sweet! I love the Cobra. Unfortunately my experience with the 04 will keep me from buying another Ford. There's a reason Ford continues to decline and lose market share. Lack of product and service quality is a large factor.

That's such bulshit - I know what injectors sound like. Mine sound more mechanical. Not like tick clips I've heard, but subtle.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Agreed... You can get close to the injectors and clearly hear their sound. Then you can get close to the left wheel well and clearly hear the different ticking sound.

Call SVT or the Ford region and get them on your dealer's ass. They will help.

Last edited:

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
matt1234 said:
Isnt it great to buy what should have been our "dream Car" only to have to worry (lets face it this is bothersome) about bad metalic clacking comming from what is basically a brand new "hand built" enging from ford? Metallic sound from an engine is bad it almost always is, its also great to waste time going to ford dealer and them saying "its just injectors" or whatever to blow you off, i know damn good I have the tick and it aint injectors - they are two different sounds. you can hear the tick on the inside of the car unlike injectors which really cant be heard that much after you close the hood. SVT 800 number people tell you well even if you have the tick it wont hurt preformance or longevity . . . Right. My first priority was to try and fix my vibe anyway which is why I have not pursued my tick issue but have gone all out to try and get my vibe repaired (new rear end + driveshaft = sh-t load of wasted time with still no fix but a worse vibe) Hey I expect to be shot at here for expressing my self but I think we should really start to look at ford as a BAD car company that really manufactures BAD products which ford does not stand behind and that ford does not stand behind its slavishly loyal customers. If you want examples Ill give'em of why i feel this way, this 03 cobra is my 7th and last ford.

What dealer did you go to?

V8Mustang

Established Member
My '04 has a tick but it is not too loud. I can hear it with the windows down and a helmet on. Done this since I bought the car new and it now has a whopping 2,400 miles on it. Seems to be getting a little louder. I am not going to bother with the dealer until I feel like dealing with a hassle or it gets much worse.

I have listened to a few other 03/04s and they are quite compared with mine.

Would be interesting to get stats on these cars. The info would have to come from the dealers or Ford. Maybe some consumer watch dog could step in.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I noticed a tick in my engine two nights ago when I was parking my car. Turned off the sound, and tick tick tick tick tick.... For some reason up until that moment I thought I was immune to the problem. I only have 6800 miles on the car and (aside from getting on it here and there) I have not raced my car. Taking it in on Friday to see what the dealer says.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
007Paul said:
I noticed a tick in my engine two nights ago when I was parking my car. Turned off the sound, and tick tick tick tick tick.... For some reason up until that moment I thought I was immune to the problem. I only have 6800 miles on the car and (aside from getting on it here and there) I have not raced my car. Taking it in on Friday to see what the dealer says.

Let us know how it goes.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
What about engines built in 04?

Has anyone with an engine assembled in 2004 developed the tick? Mine was built in Feb. of 04' and so far, so good. FYI, no blue paint anywhere on the drivers side head... :shrug:

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
007Paul said:
It hasn't been verified, but look at my sig - mine was built 2/10/04.

Sorry, I was assuming that was the build date of your car. I was refering to the build sticker on the valve cover. Don't know if it makes a difference, but was curious if there was an engine build timeframe that was potentialy immune....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread