• Had tick, fix attempted, tick back

Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I don't think you can escape the tick, I believe I am starting to develop it! It only is heard after the car gets warm at drive thrus or in my garage. I currently have 4100 miles. Drivers side only noise!

akaeric

Established Member
I have heard there is a silent recall for the left head something about bad guides but I all so heard if your head has blue which mine does toward the SC its the new heads so let takes little response vote who's head are blue on theinside toward the supercharger?

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
I have read that some guys that got their heads replaced on lthe driver side still developed the tick!:shrug:

Last edited:

Vegas Mach1

Established Member
Well the Mach1's have it also. Two Machs here in Vegas are getting the head replaced. A friend is getting hid done on Monday. 2-3 day job.
My DSG "taps" fairly loud with only 3,200 miles. Car was built in July.
National backorder of parts, maybe available in January.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The Apten site says the problem is only on Dec 02 and back Cobras. Is that true? I think I have it and mine is a Apr 03.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
johnsonl: Your car has the revised heads which "should not" have the tick. However some cars after the revision date did develop the tick. This engine makes lots of noise when it's in perfect condition by the way. The forged pistons will make more noise since they don't have the tighter clearances the hypernetic pistons have. This can mean more noise at start up and when its warm. Chances are if you hear a noise and you don't know if it's the tick, it probably isn't the tick. Esp. if your engine is built after 11-2-02.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Thanks Yates...Man, I like many others here are paranoid about the problems others are having.

Mine does make a noise in the head, but only sometimes.

The engine definately makes different sounds. A friend of mine rode in the car the other day and said, Does that sound normal? It was cold and I told him the sound would change when it got warm. Sure enough it did. I guess when you have 32 valves under a couple of thin valve covers your going to hear some noise. I'm just used to a quiet push rod engine I guess.

Damn sure is fun to drive thou! :rockon:

Last edited:

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by johnsonl
The Apten site says the problem is only on Dec 02 and back Cobras. Is that true? I think I have it and mine is a Apr 03.

As I stated in my JOHN COLETTI SVT STALL SUCKS!!! thread, after filing my complaint on the NHTSA site for the STALL I reviewed the service bulletins (TSBs) for the COBRA and there is one listed #03164 that is dated 8/18/03 that states the TICK issue can be in engines built through 8/29/03 including engines in early build '04s. Looks like Ford did not fix the problem as of 11/02 like they apparantly said. Sound familiar...the STALL PCM reflash fix TSB will be out in 2 weeks, then 2 weeks, then 2 weeks, then 2 weeks, then 2 weeks.......at Ford telling lies is JOB 1!!!

matt1234

Established Member
Tick reply

Isnt it great to buy what should have been our "dream Car" only to have to worry (lets face it this is bothersome) about bad metalic clacking comming from what is basically a brand new "hand built" enging from ford? Metallic sound from an engine is bad it almost always is, its also great to waste time going to ford dealer and them saying "its just injectors" or whatever to blow you off, i know damn good I have the tick and it aint injectors - they are two different sounds. you can hear the tick on the inside of the car unlike injectors which really cant be heard that much after you close the hood. SVT 800 number people tell you well even if you have the tick it wont hurt preformance or longevity . . . Right. My first priority was to try and fix my vibe anyway which is why I have not pursued my tick issue but have gone all out to try and get my vibe repaired (new rear end + driveshaft = sh-t load of wasted time with still no fix but a worse vibe) Hey I expect to be shot at here for expressing my self but I think we should really start to look at ford as a BAD car company that really manufactures BAD products which ford does not stand behind and that ford does not stand behind its slavishly loyal customers. If you want examples Ill give'em of why i feel this way, this 03 cobra is my 7th and last ford.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Re: Tick reply

Originally posted by matt1234
Isnt it great to buy what should have been our "dream Car" only to have to worry (lets face it this is bothersome) about bad metalic clacking comming from what is basically a brand new "hand built" enging from ford? Metallic sound from an engine is bad it almost always is, its also great to waste time going to ford dealer and them saying "its just injectors" or whatever to blow you off, i know damn good I have the tick and it aint injectors - they are two different sounds. you can hear the tick on the inside of the car unlike injectors which really cant be heard that much after you close the hood. SVT 800 number people tell you well even if you have the tick it wont hurt preformance or longevity . . . Right. My first priority was to try and fix my vibe anyway which is why I have not pursued my tick issue but have gone all out to try and get my vibe repaired (new rear end + driveshaft = sh-t load of wasted time with still no fix but a worse vibe) Hey I expect to be shot at here for expressing my self but I think we should really start to look at ford as a BAD car company that really manufactures BAD products which ford does not stand behind and that ford does not stand behind its slavishly loyal customers. If you want examples Ill give'em of why i feel this way, this 03 cobra is my 7th and last ford.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I agree with your conclusions about Ford. You need to lemon law yours and/or get an attorney. Good luck.

matt1234

Established Member
reply to venom and others

Thanks for your response venom, perhaps my reply will give some insight to others regarding some lemon law issues. Yes, I was working with a larger respected lemon law firm here in california. When it came to the vibe issue, becuase the vibe starts over 80 (83-84 to be exact) the firm told me, that becuase its so well over the speed limit, to get lost . . . notwithstanding that traffic on freeways flows around 80 (again, telling me to get lost after faxing the firm 30 + pages of service invoices). I am sure ford knows this because most of the vibe posts regarding this problem list it starting at around 80 and over threfore ford has no incentive to find a fix. For Ford to take the extra leap in logic of retaining a repeat costomer is lost here beucase what seems to matter for ford is for the consumer to "eat" his purchase. there has been several other warranty issues with my 03 but I dont have the time to pursue them all because I am going to make a business decision to dump the car cutting my losses overall. Its been an expensive lesson to learn.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Re: reply to venom and others

Originally posted by matt1234
Thanks for your response venom, perhaps my reply will give some insight to others regarding some lemon law issues. Yes, I was working with a larger respected lemon law firm here in california. When it came to the vibe issue, becuase the vibe starts over 80 (83-84 to be exact) the firm told me, that becuase its so well over the speed limit, to get lost . . . notwithstanding that traffic on freeways flows around 80 (again, telling me to get lost after faxing the firm 30 + pages of service invoices). I am sure ford knows this because most of the vibe posts regarding this problem list it starting at around 80 and over threfore ford has no incentive to find a fix. For Ford to take the extra leap in logic of retaining a repeat costomer is lost here beucase what seems to matter for ford is for the consumer to "eat" his purchase. there has been several other warranty issues with my 03 but I dont have the time to pursue them all because I am going to make a business decision to dump the car cutting my losses overall. Its been an expensive lesson to learn.

I'd get an attorney and sue Ford. They publicly promote racing the Cobra at the dragstrip so they have to make the car right at speeds over 84 mph. Check out AutoWeek 12/1/03 page 56. All you need is right there to win your case. Let Ford eat it as they deserve. Good luck!

bassin247 said:
I got the tick after I changed my oil the last time. I had the dealership change it the first 2 times and I had Jiffy Pube change it the last time. They used Penziol oil and filter. It must be the oil. I watched them put in 6.5 quarts of 5w20, but the oil charecteristics must be different becuase I got the tick instantly after the change.

I will report back when I change it with the ford oil. I think I may go mobile 1 5w30. Not sure yet.

JIFFY LUBE FOR A COBRA :eek:

chitowncobra

Established Member
CobraNHYEE said:
I don't hear anything on the driver side when I kneel down by the wheel well. I hear a tapping noise on the passenger side by the wheel well. With the hood up I don't hear nothing, only injector noise. Anyone with this condition? Thanks
i just read your thread and i know this is an old one but i have to reply.i have 2003 cobra w/2004 motor in it its a long story but i think i have the same as you on the passager side.but its kind of loud at cold start up.then when the motor hot its faint sometimes you cant hear it. doe you still have your cobra and the same problem?

Paratrooper82d

Established Member
I did some research on blue oval news website about the "Tick" a few weeks ago and printed it out. I cannot find the link to it but here is what it said from the print out. It was dated July 29th, 2003. It was a consumer advisory.

According to Ford Motor Company Memo, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobras may have defective cylinder heads. The memo noted that the Cobra's may exhibit an unusual engine noise (Tick) that is present at all temperature ranges during engine idle.The memo also states that the noise may be due to bad cylinder head valve guides in the left hand cylinder head. The noise may be heard at the rear of the left hand cylinder head, thought the left side exhaust or at the left front wheel of the vehicle.

If your 2003 Cobra Mustang exhibits this condition, Ford may replace the cylinder head and cam assembly. The replacement cylinder head part number is: 3R2Z-6049-GA. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition.

Should Ford Motor Company dispute this report - either someone from Blue Oval News or Flat rate tech will be more than happy to engage in a three way telephone conference.

nightstalker865

Established Member
my is ticking also but it goes away when the car comes up to temp. plus it doesn't sound like it is comming from the heads. more like the idler area I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread