Everyone knows the Cobra Jet makes HP, did you know it makes great MPG as well??

goat-ee

Established Member
I'm amazed that nobody talks about the driveability and fuel mileage that the Cobra Jet setup has. These setups are making some of the top N/A e.t.'s and mph in the country and that is pretty much undisputed at this point. However some people still think they are overblown and overpriced Boss setups. They are pricey, but in my opinion, the top bolt-on for these cars. I know the Boss setup is looked down on for the lack of low to midrange torque and the throttle response isn't what it should be, that is just not an issue on the CJ. If anything I think my car has better low to midrange than it ever had.

I have seen numerous mentions of great gas mileage on various posts, but it's quickly buried under the weight of the kick-ass performance!! I think it's time this setup gets the attention it deserves for not only the hp, but also for the overall daily driving ability it has. I personally got 26.9 mpg with 2 runs at the strip factored in. Please don't look at my performance, as I had other issues at the strip which kept me from achieving what I should. But I drive my car everyday and I couldn't be happier with my CJ setup. And as an aside, Shaun at AED deserves a great deal of credit for how my car runs and drives as well.

So how about it my fellow CJ owners, anyone else care to share your thoughts on the driveability and mpg of your setup?

IMG_20141102_172637_zps19602f34.jpg

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I average 22.6 mpg, that's a combo of in town and highway with the occasional three gear WOT pull.

clean92lx

Established Member
Beats my 13 mpg Paxton mustang lol. I don't care about the bad mileage but the low range really sucks esp when your running race gas

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In my 2013 GT500 I averaged 27.4 mpgs on the way from the mixing center to my dealership.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Mustang + gas mileage = don't care.

My chevy cruze gets killer gas mileage though. Didn't need an intake swap either!

Lmao this.

I DD a tdi Jetta that has never been under 42 mpg for the tank hand calc'd.

Props to the CJ setup tho... I really like them.

Last edited:

ridenrunwv

Established Member
I sit around 17 to 18 MPG average with 3.55 gears NA if the average fuel display can be trusted. I don't calculate each tank but reset that.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Shit, I get 15 around town if I am lucky.. 21 on the highway is a fricken miracle... But in defense of the CJ Intake, my MPG is strictly controlled by my right foot...

SNIPER

Established Member
I added an unported CJ Intake , stock GT500 TB and a JLT CAI. Picked up 30.82 RWHP but lost 13.92 pounds ft torque. Also put some 3.31s in so don't lose any bottom end pull, Gas mileage don't care. I now have a 11 sec streetcar and LOVE IT!!!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
^Where those your gains over the stock manifold? Same exhaust mods before/after? Custom tune or dyno tune? Thanks!

SNIPER

Established Member
^Where those your gains over the stock manifold? Same exhaust mods before/after? Custom tune or dyno tune? Thanks!
Yes. I forgot, also added a ON3 muffler delete axle back. This is on a HP Tuner custom dyno tune by the guys at RPM in Garner NC.

Users who are viewing this thread