exhaust choice?

What cat-back and x-pipe did you choose?

• Bassani Cat-Back

Votes: 164 27.2%
  • Magnaflow Cat-Back

Votes: 186 30.8%
  • Borla Cat-Back

Votes: 107 17.7%
  • Other Cat-Back

Votes: 89 14.7%
  • Bassani X-Pipe

Votes: 158 26.2%
  • Magnaflow X-Pipe

Votes: 98 16.2%
  • Borla X-Pipe

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Other X-Pipe

Votes: 65 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

therunyan

Established Member
Regarding mustangexaust.com, while I'm happy that site is there (it allows you to do some base sound comparisons), you simply can't judge decibles using a sound clip. One guy will tell you that the Magnaflows (e.g.) are too loud, another guy with the same combo -- or even listening to the same car -- will tell you they aren't loud enough. IMHO, the best way to choose an exhaust is to simply go to a local 'stang rally and just listen.

Good luck with the choice, there are some killer exhaust combos out there and I hope the right one picks you!!

:beer:

03blackvert

Established Member
Why does everyone want a "loud" exhaust? Maybe I'm wired, but I like to keep a low profile. I want a near-silent exhaust, but of course with full performance. :lol: Quieter is better in my book, of course when it doesn't hurt performance.

2003white_cobra

Established Member
I got the bassani cat X-pipe and bassani cat back exhaust. I sounds good. But droans a bit on the interstate but not as much of a droan as flowmasters would have. It has a bit of a glasspack sound to it. Overall I like it. But I still think magnaflow sounds more throaty. And if I had to do it again, would do the Bassani Catted X pipe and the magnaflow cat back.

BadAndy

Established Member
exhaust preference

Full custom....only way to go. If you were building a race car you wouldn't buy off the shelf headers, why should you for your street car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: exhaust preference

Originally posted by BadAndy
Full custom....only way to go. If you were building a race car you wouldn't buy off the shelf headers, why should you for your street car.
Cost. Until I can get sponsors for my street car I won't be able to afford custom pieces.
:lol:

jshen

Established Member
kushir0

You won't be disappointed with Magnaflow's sound...If you like the sound of a Nascar..at WOT. You won't be disappointed in quality, fit & finish either.....

therunyan

Established Member
dkd58 -- Yes, please post your impressions -- I'd love to hear what you have to say about this system on the '03, 'cause it sure does sound sweet on my '01.

Bingo13

Established Member
Magnaflow X-cats with FR-500 catback. Stealth system with a very nice growl. :thumbsup:

Silver TT

Established Member
Anybody have comments on the new Borla system? Either the standard or the stinger???

Also, all you Magnaflow guys...where is the cheapest place to buy? I have heard some great prices, but no vendors mentioned.

Thanks,

Dan

jd93gt

Established Member
Magnaflow Catted X, Bassani Catback (bassani has cheap cats, and less ground clearance on their x pipes... but I love their catback)

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver TT
Anybody have comments on the new Borla system? Either the standard or the stinger???

Also, all you Magnaflow guys...where is the cheapest place to buy? I have heard some great prices, but no vendors mentioned.

Thanks,

Dan

These guys were great to work with: Parts Shopper

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by therunyan
dkd58 -- Yes, please post your impressions -- I'd love to hear what you have to say about this system on the '03, 'cause it sure does sound sweet on my '01.

I am 100% satisfied with this setup. It was the last mod I did and if I had to do it over again, it would have been the first! I can drive it quietly like when I take the kids to school, but I can let it rip when the time is right. When I get on it, It's not just loud either, it sounds like it should- like the true performance machine it is. No '03 Cobra should be running a stock exhaust, the car deserves better.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
I got me a Borla Stinger from Rick at Amazon. It should be here in about 2 weeks from what he said. He speaks really highly of this system, and i took his advice. Have any of you guys seen the rolled tips on that cat-back? They are beautiful, and I will quote Rick here when I say "the Borla Stinger is the best sounding '03 exhaust". That comment made my mind up fast. BTW, I had a Magnaflow cat-back on my '01 GT and I didn't like the sound of it too much, I simply got used to it. At WOT it sounded nice up in the RPM's, but revving it and loping it around town, it sounded like a big block Cadillac....not my type of sound.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Silver TT
I'm waiting to hear comparison comments on the loudness of the Stinger compared to the regular Borla/Steeda, Bassani and Magnaflow catbacks. And whether there is any droning inside the cabin.

I agree with SolidSnake about the sound of the Magnaflow catback. I was very disappointed. One of the reasons I removed it and sold it. I'm anxious now to install my Steeda catback on Friday. I found out I just couldn't live with the QUIET stock catback. LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread