Fellas with high blood pressure

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
Got a question for the guys with high bp. What meds are you on? What are your side effects. In the past year, I have tried 3 different prescriptions, and they have all in one way or another made my life miserable.

Atenolol- made me lazy as **** and I couldn't work out. I couldn't get my hear rate In my target range at all.

Lisinopril- gave me a serious cough, and palpitations

Losartan-makes me feel like I'm 50 years old..

I have made drastic changes in my diet, I work out frequently, but my bp still runs about 140/89 with meds, and 150/90+ with our meds..

I know there's about a dozen or more of meds out there, help a brotha out what's the good stuff?

oldmodman

Established Member
I recently switched from Diovan 160 to ExForge 10/160

BP was 138/74, now 125/68

Wasn't really high before, but my Dr's wanted it lower after my stroke of last Nov. However, before I started any medication it reached as high as 180/90

Side effects? Hard to tell. With all the other crap I have to take I don't know what causes what. Being 59 I feel like the next step is cloning anyway.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Amlodipine with simvastatin at the same time. I'm 33 5'10" 190lbs, BM. Kept getting pasty tools, lol. I said to hell with them both for the last few months.

It's been more than a few months, more like half a year, and I've got an appointment coming up in April. I've been on BP pills over 12 years. I know they're supposed to help, but I'm tired of the "bad" that comes with the so call "good." Pills are probably rotting me out inside out.......

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I was on Toprol-XL, Coreg, Lisinopril, and finally Catapres. Catapres did it for me. I have had very good BP readings for the last few years. Good Luck!!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Diltiazem 120mgs, seems to be working, I have mild hypertension, I've been on it for 10 years. The big factor for me, I stopped drinking so much beer and shaved off 100lbs. My BP is around 125/85 depending on the time of day. Medical warnings state it may cause dizziness but due to an acoustic neuroma, a small tumor located on right cochlear nerve, I'm dizzy to begin with. Sucks getting older.

Machdup1

Established Member
I had the same problem. Went through three or four meds and two doctors. Ended up with Ramipril. Went from 187/143 to 127/68 with no side affects.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
I take Coreg and Benicar. I go to the Doc every 3 months for a checkup... BP is always in normal range.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm on Valsartran/HCT (the generic of Diovan/HCT) & Amlodipine. They keep me at 130/75. Without them I'm in the 190/100 range, so going without the meds is not an option for me. I'm 51, 5'-10". My blood pressure has always been high, even as a kid.

Karson

Established Member
I was on Lotrel and it made me light headed. Now I'm on Losartan.... I know what you mean about feeling 50. I'll be watching this thread.

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
Lots of good input thanks guys..

And FYI for the guys running lean blood pressure, I do diet and exercise, high blood pressure can be inherited.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You shouldn't base what you might want to try on how certain medications affect other people. Everyone is different. Side affects are different with everyone. Some have severe side affects to a medication. Some have mild side affects. Some have zero side effects. All you can really do is have your doctor try a new med and then monitor any side affects. Sometimes it takes 3, 4 or more tries before you find the one that works best for you. I've been through this with my cholesterol medication. It took 3 different medications before I found one with no side affects. But I know others taking the same med who experienced a side affect that I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread