Finally getting the car tuned.

Blaine

Established Member
Good point.
I called Lund and left a message. Hopefully they will call me back soon.
I am still going to get the parts today, either way, from Brenspeed.
Do you guys think I can run the pulley, stock H/E, Tune etc. for a month or so without any issue?
Maybe do the above pictured H/E and some bigger tanks this fall when it goes into storage.
I don't really want to spend $2500 bucks today.

You would be fine. As long as you didn't go to the track and hot lapped.

sfadchi

Established Member
Tune: [email protected]

Jon Lund has tuned over 800 GT500's. There is not a combination he hasn't seen.

Although the Shelby Heat Exchanger is expensive other heat exchangers are going to maintain ambient temperature right near the spark trim table. Once you surpass that mark as determined by your tuner you'll lose power. Since it's not going to be a track car of sorts daily driver types benefit the most because of the consistent cooling of the heat exchanger fluid. 65 degrees and up. (ambient outside temperature)

The stock blower does create a lot of heat mainly due to its rotor design.

+1 Jon Lund
+1 Shelby H/E

sfadchi

Established Member
Good point.
I called Lund and left a message. Hopefully they will call me back soon.
I am still going to get the parts today, either way, from Brenspeed.
Do you guys think I can run the pulley, stock H/E, Tune etc. for a month or so without any issue?
Maybe do the above pictured H/E and some bigger tanks this fall when it goes into storage.
I don't really want to spend $2500 bucks today.

You will be fine for a month, but once you get the H/E you will notice a big difference! With the stock H/E the car will start to pull timing pretty quickly if your getting on it allot.

Red10thcv

Established Member
Get the Pulley!

Down here in deep south Texas, I would say go with the H/E first. Ten o'clock and it's 85 degrees. But up in there in ID with the type of driving conditions that you stated then go with the pulley and tune. That way you can save up for the H/E and "NOT" have to pay for another tune. :burnout:

chuckstang

Established Member
Jesus christ, this is what is amazing about the internet

THE GUY DOES NOT NEED A DAM HEAT EXCHANGER OR ANYTHING

JUST ADD THE 2.6 PULLEY AND GET A MAIL ORDER TUNE FROM LETHAL (VMP) AND YOU WILL BE SET!!!!!!!!

The internet has a way of making things more complicated than they are.

He has 3k miles on an 07, and is not even going to be racing.

04YellowGT

Established Member
This is part of the reason I have waited this long. I have found horror stories about every tuner on the internet.
I know two guys here in town that have GT 500's tuned by Brent and both are very happy. (Rodney Red White...the other one is a guy named Chris and his is blue and white)
The red one is heavily modded with the TVS etc and the other has the package I am talking about here. (Stage 1)
I have ridden in both cars and both run great.

I also received a PM from a guy on here (from Indiana) that recommended their tune over Evolution. He told me he has one from each and the Brenspeed feels much stronger and smoother.

Now you have have me second guessing my decision. :dw:

Well I try to tell people about my experience with them just so they don't go through what I did. He might have improved/changed his tuning style since I went to him. All I know is I'm not going to risk it.

Here is what happened:

They installed a SCT BMAF on my car after I maxed my LMAF out on the dyno. Now mind you the car drove 45mis to the shop, sat 30mins to cool down, and then they had been tuning it about 30-45mins with no problems. After they installed the new MAF the car wouldn't start and was blowing PCM fuses. The come out and ask me if I've done anything to the car and they think it’s because I have a stereo in my car (all I had was a new deck.) I looked at them and told them straight up they better fix my car because THEY installed the MAF and the car ran perfect until they touched it. They ended up putting the LMAF back on and "worked around it" as Brent said.

Here is why it wouldn't start..... Who ever installed the new MAF never extended the wiring to the MAF instead they just tugged on the wires until they reached to plug in the MAF. Well guess what when they did that it ripped the wiring and left bare wires exposed. When the MAF was installed it was grounding out when the old LMAF was back on there was enough slack that wouldn't happen. Heres the kicker though when I would go over speed bumps, or any decent bump the wires would ground back out and I would blow a PCM fuse. I literally went to advanced auto and bought a box of them and kept them in my car because it happened all the time. It was also messing up the MAF reading some the car would drive like shit and was sucking fuel like no other.

I kept in touch with Brent and kept asking for help, I had the car up there like 4-5 times for the same problem. One day after talking to him he told me hes done all he can do. I asked for a refund and he said no.

It wasn't until I took it to a different tuner and told them what was going on. They found the problem and fixed it but they had to replace a bunch of wiring do to corrosion and my MAF was shot too.

I confronted Brent about the problem and they basically told me to F**K OFF and said I had no proof and that they weren't paying for anything.

Sorry for the long post.

That being said I just ordered the EVO Stage 1 kit for my car and from what I've heard/seen they are the best. Maybe Brent’s is better but I guarantee he hasn't worked on half as many Shelbys as Evo or Lund or put near the time into the tunes as these guys have.

I am pretty active with the club so I am going to the show. I am not sure what Bodigans is??

I hope to see ya there.

Bodigans is a huge party/car meet. Its a blast, I've been there before but didn't last year because I think it rained.

Blaine

Established Member
Jesus christ, this is what is amazing about the internet

THE GUY DOES NOT NEED A DAM HEAT EXCHANGER OR ANYTHING

JUST ADD THE 2.6 PULLEY AND GET A MAIL ORDER TUNE FROM LETHAL (VMP) AND YOU WILL BE SET!!!!!!!!

The internet has a way of making things more complicated than they are.

He has 3k miles on an 07, and is not even going to be racing.

Up the owner.. you can go the cheap route or the correct route. I don't go the CHEAP route anymore nor do I take ANY chances. I did that with my 2003 Cobra since I didn't have/make as much money back then. I went with a mail order tune + pulley + Intake.... It cost me a new engine 4 months later.

Mail order tunes.. do work.. not better than a dyno tuning since every car is slightly different. Also as stated above you can go wo/the Heat Exchanger as well; WORST thing that could happen is that some timing gets pulled.:shrug:

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Here is my $.02

1) Get the pulley, well worth the extra expense and power

2) Get a professional to tune your car. Don't be sorry rather safe when it comes to tunes. Mail orders remind me of playing lotto. Win some/lose some

3) Don't buy the H/E since you hardly drive her as it is. And since you appear not to drive like "James Bond," you'll be fine.

4) Go have some fun with her!!!!!

chuckstang

Established Member
Up the owner.. you can go the cheap route or the correct route. I don't go the CHEAP route anymore nor do I take ANY chances. I did that with my 2003 Cobra since I didn't have/make as much money back then. I went with a mail order tune + pulley + Intake.... It cost me a new engine 4 months later.

Mail order tunes.. do work.. not better than a dyno tuning since every car is slightly different. Also as stated above you can go wo/the Heat Exchanger as well; WORST thing that could happen is that some timing gets pulled.:shrug:

He would be over modded his car and wasting money

It is a street car that barely gets driven, with a proper tune the car will be fine

the sky is not falling!

Oh and mail order tunes with this car are still better than custom!

Evo(Lund) and VMP make the best. The other tuners out there have not had the time and money invested like these companies and nor have they got the experience because even though there are more GT500s out there, the tuners of the world are just more accustomed to tuning the 03-04s and they require a totally new set of tuning skills

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member
Ok so here is what happened today.

Went with the Brenspeed Stage 2 Kit (Pulley/Tune/CAI/Plugs). You guys talked me into it:burnout:

Everything went pretty smooth and the car runs great. I didn't get on it much because I just had the TSB done. (100 miles on the new transmission etc.)

I called Lund and never heard anything. I also emailed and received no response. I will call tomorrow. Depending on what he has to say I may order a tune from him as well.

The dyno was not available today so I will set something up in the near future. I will run both Brenspeed tunes and the Lund and post the results.

The mechanic who put this together just had a couple of comments about some of the questions I asked from this thread.
1. H/E is something that will help but is not essential unless I plan on racing.
2. These pulley/CAI/tune packages are pretty straight forward. A mail order tune from any reputable tuner should be fine. If you have other mods thrown in it becomes a little more difficult.

I do appreciate all the replies and opinions. :beer:

RSH427R

Established Member
Well I try to tell people about my experience with them just so they don't go through what I did. He might have improved/changed his tuning style since I went to him. All I know is I'm not going to risk it.

Here is what happened:

They installed a SCT BMAF on my car after I maxed my LMAF out on the dyno. Now mind you the car drove 45mis to the shop, sat 30mins to cool down, and then they had been tuning it about 30-45mins with no problems. After they installed the new MAF the car wouldn't start and was blowing PCM fuses. The come out and ask me if I've done anything to the car and they think it’s because I have a stereo in my car (all I had was a new deck.) I looked at them and told them straight up they better fix my car because THEY installed the MAF and the car ran perfect until they touched it. They ended up putting the LMAF back on and "worked around it" as Brent said.

Here is why it wouldn't start..... Who ever installed the new MAF never extended the wiring to the MAF instead they just tugged on the wires until they reached to plug in the MAF. Well guess what when they did that it ripped the wiring and left bare wires exposed. When the MAF was installed it was grounding out when the old LMAF was back on there was enough slack that wouldn't happen. Heres the kicker though when I would go over speed bumps, or any decent bump the wires would ground back out and I would blow a PCM fuse. I literally went to advanced auto and bought a box of them and kept them in my car because it happened all the time. It was also messing up the MAF reading some the car would drive like shit and was sucking fuel like no other.

I kept in touch with Brent and kept asking for help, I had the car up there like 4-5 times for the same problem. One day after talking to him he told me hes done all he can do. I asked for a refund and he said no.

It wasn't until I took it to a different tuner and told them what was going on. They found the problem and fixed it but they had to replace a bunch of wiring do to corrosion and my MAF was shot too.

I confronted Brent about the problem and they basically told me to F**K OFF and said I had no proof and that they weren't paying for anything.

Sorry for the long post.

That being said I just ordered the EVO Stage 1 kit for my car and from what I've heard/seen they are the best. Maybe Brent’s is better but I guarantee he hasn't worked on half as many Shelbys as Evo or Lund or put near the time into the tunes as these guys have.

I hope to see ya there.

Bodigans is a huge party/car meet. Its a blast, I've been there before but didn't last year because I think it rained.

I can see why you feel the way you do. I feel safe with his tune though. I did not have them do the install...I had Dave do it. I will be at the show and may show up at this party...it sounds like a blast. If you go to the show...look me up. White/vert :beer:

By the way I ran into Lucas at Brenspeed. It appears their customer service may have slipped a bit as well. I will let him tell the story. :dw:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
RSH427, I am having some issues with them. They have called me tonight and are trying to make things right with me. I was having car mechanical troubles and its partially my fault. I did let them know my intentions and what time i would be there. there was no problems at that time in the morning when i talked to them. I just dont want them to rush a tune and screw things up. I'm not going to talk anybody down unless they dont take reasonable steps to correct the problem. As of right now, they have offered to send out an enclosed trailer to pick up and deliver my car to me next week. i still have not gave up on them.

09Troublemaker

Established Member
2. These pulley/CAI/tune packages are pretty straight forward. A mail order tune from any reputable tuner should be fine.

Oh I just love to hear those words... "S H O U L D B E F I N E"
You better get that bad boy on a dyno to check that mail order
tune. Unless your okay with those words

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

yup, dyno is the only real way to make sure the tune is right. no matter what anyone says. any real good internet tuner will send you a tune an then tell you to get it dyno with it data logged so they can see how the tune is running on your car and make any changes that need to be done. myself i will go to a Tunning shop that tune cars like mine with the same mods.

RSH427R

Established Member

Getting it on the dyno is part of the package I purchased.
They just couldn't get it on today. It will happen soon. I am not planning on racing or beating on it until the package is complete. (checked on the dyno)

Maybe "mail order" is the generic term for a tune, pending a few dyno pulls? Mine didn't come in the mail or email, I drove 20 mins from my house and picked it up. :shrug: ;-)

RSH427R

Established Member
RSH427, I am having some issues with them. They have called me tonight and are trying to make things right with me. I was having car mechanical troubles and its partially my fault. I did let them know my intentions and what time i would be there. there was no problems at that time in the morning when i talked to them. I just dont want them to rush a tune and screw things up. I'm not going to talk anybody down unless they dont take reasonable steps to correct the problem. As of right now, they have offered to send out an enclosed trailer to pick up and deliver my car to me next week. i still have not gave up on them.

Good to hear. I was feeling for you though. You must have talked to someone other than Brian. He wasn't offering much to fix the issue.
Install went great with Dave. He has a nice shop and is looking for work.

09Troublemaker

Established Member
Getting it on the dyno is part of the package I purchased.
They just couldn't get it on today. It will happen soon. I am not planning on racing or beating on it until the package is complete. (checked on the dyno)

Maybe "mail order" is the generic term for a tune, pending a few dyno pulls? Mine didn't come in the mail or email, I drove 20 mins from my house and picked it up. :shrug: ;-)

smart, go easy, then have her logged, adjusted, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread