Fire extinguisher in my garage saved the day!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Had some excitement this morning! A couple days ago, I fired-up the old '89 to see if it would run. I haven't run it in a long time. It ran, but barely. I moved some cars and took it down the street, but barely made it back to the garage with it. Flash forward to this morning, I go down to the garage armed with a can of Seafoam and some fresh gas (tank was empty or near empty). I wanted to keep the car in the garage in case it conked out. I didn't want to have it stranded down the road. I get it fired-up again, but need to keep revving it to keep it alive. I had all of the doors open for ventilation and I was trying to work the Seafoam through the motor. After revving it for awhile and it still running like crap, I gave up and shut it off. I walk over to my work bench and for some reason I turned and looked back at the car. I am thankful for a shiny floor, because I saw an orange glow reflecting from under the car... FIRE!

I grabbed my fire extinguisher that was only 10' away and got low to have a look. Apparently hot exhaust and decades old oil/grease leaks are a bad combo. I had a full blown fire near the cats! I pulled the pin and gave it a couple good sprays. Fortunately the freak'n fire went out.

After I had a moment to access the situation, I realized this could have been a REALLY bad day! The car was buried behind others in the garage and all of the other keys were back at the house. If I didn't have that BEAUTIFUL fire extinguisher readily available, it could have been catastrophic! If I had more time and more wits about me, I would have sprayed from the other side (away from the 00R). The R got a dusting and the floor was a mess. This gave me a reason to pull the cars out for a trip around the block to blow the dust off and to give the floor a good cleaning. I finished with a California duster for the cars and put them back for some more slumber. The 89 will not be run again until it's time to restore it!

If you don't have a fire extinguisher in your garage, go get one! (I need a new one!)

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_47_46Z_zpslmf3z7aq.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_49_46Z_zps5jvcvvxs.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_48_49Z_zpshvau0nb8.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_50_55Z_zps8pzkimty.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_53_15Z_zpswxgyoqla.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_55_01Z_zpsfq3gxi9w.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_56_06Z_zpshbgaerhk.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-10-18T17_56_54Z_zpsnjppdcht.jpg

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Geez you are lucky! I would’ve cried and just gave up if my collection of that caliber of cars went up in flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
WOW! Close call I think the entire community would've gone into mourning had that garage went up. Glad you were well prepared and aware, things can get out of control fast.

Anytime I'm working on my fuel tank, lines, reg, etc I have a fire extinguisher within arms reach. Interesting that it wasn't even fuel related. Glad this story had a happy(ish) ending.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Nice save. I don't know how many of these we get in a life time but I've been a lucky sumbitch, a few times myself. Fire extinguishers are a must have in any garage and home.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I collect fire extinguishers. Instead of having a guy rebuild them per the fire codes in NC, I just replace them and bring the old ones home from my office rental properties.

I was moving four months ago and found a fire extinguisher in the basement of my house that looked 45 years old (like the house). I decided not to take it with me and took it out in the backyard. I pulled the pin and it ran like a champ, so I keep lots of old ones.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Nice save and nice collection. I added an extinguisher just a few months ago myself and cant believe I've not had one in the garage while being in this hobby now for over 30 years. Just not smart on my part but great advice.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Beautiful cars!!
Nice save. Thank God it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Wow way to stay calm! Great that you were prepared. That's a beautiful garage and an awesome collection you have there and it is scary to think how close you came to losing it all. I don't have one in my garage and boy is that stupid of me. I need to fix that.

Makes me wonder if one extinguisher is enough with a garage your size. Maybe put one on each side of your shop? Also - maybe you should have one keychain that has keys for all your toys on it - in a secure place in the garage. That way you aren't ever stuck should something go wrong.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Good save goose. This is a good reminder to me the ones in my garage sears brand are out and need recharged been sitting for years. I need to go get one or two new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Tim, you dodged a bullet. I'm SO glad you had a fire extinguisher and got it put out so quickly. The awesome garage and awesome corral is safe! :)

Users who are viewing this thread