Firefox Slow Lately For Anyone Else?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Firefox has been really slow switching tabs and opening new stuff lately. I'm starting to get the "not responding" when switching to different tabs, but a 10-15 seconds later it acts fine. Anyone else having this problem, now a good solution...or is this problem deeper than just Firefox?

There have been a few times that my PC has been slow opening a folder or creating a new folder. Not sure why, but I'd like to make sure it's running like new. I constantly run CCleaner and Malwarebytes. I've cleaned the Firefox cache and that seems to help for a day or so, but then it's back to being slow. Looking at the task manager and widgets on my desktop, the CPU and RAM haven't been stressed while this is happening (i5-2500k and 8GB ddr3 Corsair Vengeance 1600; not even 20% from what I've seen by the widget)

Any thoughts or anything I need to check? This is a PC I built in late '11, so I'd like to keep it up and running great.

i5-2500k 3.30Ghz (w/ CPU cooler)
GTX580
1200w Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold PSU
1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD
8GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3/1600
Asus p8z68 V-pro motherboard

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No issues here. I'm on the latest release. How long has Firefox been open? I know that if I leave it running for multiple days I can experience slowness and jerky operation with the mouse. If I close it/restart it daily, it seems to be much better performance wise.

KurtDog

Established Member
Could be lots of issues.

First I would try resetting your router. Unplug it for 10 seconds then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, try running a memory check on the ram and hard drive. Could be some bad sectors. Try defragmenting your had drive as well.

If that doesn't work try reinstalling the os.

If that doesn't work, you might have some bad hardware.

truefiveo

Established Member
Firefox sucks lately with freezing and unresponsive pages.
Google Chrome feels 10 times faster.

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
No issues here. I'm on the latest release. How long has Firefox been open? I know that if I leave it running for multiple days I can experience slowness and jerky operation with the mouse. If I close it/restart it daily, it seems to be much better performance wise.

I do leave it open most of the time. I'll try to close it after I'm done and see what happens

Could be lots of issues.

First I would try resetting your router. Unplug it for 10 seconds then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, try running a memory check on the ram and hard drive. Could be some bad sectors.
How do I run a mem. check?
Try defragmenting your had drive as well.
Is defrag'ing ok or is there anything I need to do or not do? Haven't ever defraged so..lol

If that doesn't work try reinstalling the os.

If that doesn't work, you might have some bad hardware.

thanks for your help

Firefox sucks lately with freezing and unresponsive pages.
Google Chrome feels 10 times faster.

I'll try Chrome and see what happens

oldmodman

Established Member
Try deleting your history and all the cookies.

It spends so much of it's power keeping you connected to all the different advertising engines that it doesn't have time for what YOU want it to do.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm having the exact same problem. Chrome seems to work just fine though. I'm gonna clear my history and reset the computer and see if that helps.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I've had the same problem with FF/Chrome in the past. Turns out some of the plug-ins where clashing with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread