First Cobra

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
op, headers would probably be one of the least worthwhile starter mods for these cars. as blksvtcobra01 said there are plenty of better bang for the buck mods to do first. the stock exhaust manifolds flow very well even at high hp, and for an improved sound you would do a catback (and then a midpipe if even deeper sound is desired).

like cobrabob said your best bet to start out with basic intake and pulley/tune. the difference from stock is like night and day and you will have a reliable solid car that's capable of running 11-second quarter miles.

of course with improved power you will want to beef up some of the rest for the drivetrain (like clutch and suspension), but basic cpie (chip/pulley/intake/exhaust) is the tried and true way to mod up these cars and has been for 13 years.

Tyler06

Established Member
Congratulations Tyler. That is a good looking, clean Terminator.

Definitely take it slow and decide what mods you really want based on your budget. Very common "phase 1" mods are intake, exhaust, shifter, upper pulley, and tune. A 2.90 upper/tune with the intake/exhaust mods can get you into the 450rwhp/470rwtq area and trust me, the difference behind the wheel is then VERY noticeable. And you're not spending a lot of money, either. But again, take it slow and make good decisions as far as mods.

Enjoy your Cobra! :)

Thanks Bob, yes I'll be doing a lot of research on what mods I want to do. I am definitely looking into a pulley for sure.

Tyler06

Established Member
op, headers would probably be one of the least worthwhile starter mods for these cars. as blksvtcobra01 said there are plenty of better bang for the buck mods to do first. the stock exhaust manifolds flow very well even at high hp, and for an improved sound you would do a catback (and then a midpipe if even deeper sound is desired).

like cobrabob said your best bet to start out with basic intake and pulley/tune. the difference from stock is like night and day and you will have a reliable solid car that's capable of running 11-second quarter miles.

of course with improved power you will want to beef up some of the rest for the drivetrain (like clutch and suspension), but basic cpie (chip/pulley/intake/exhaust) is the tried and true way to mod up these cars and has been for 13 years.

Thank you for the post. As I have been doing some long research I may just start with going with a pulley. If I wanted to change the sound I would most likely just go with a different mid pipe. I already have the borla stingers and I am huge fan. If I was to change the cat back I would be looking into borla attacks maybe.

But now I have to dig deep into research on the different pulleys and other supporting mods needed to keep the car reliable.

What do people usually do as far as a chip? Or do most people do the pulley upgrade and a tune?

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thank you for the post. As I have been doing some long research I may just start with going with a pulley. If I wanted to change the sound I would most likely just go with a different mid pipe. I already have the borla stingers and I am huge fan. If I was to change the cat back I would be looking into borla attacks maybe.

But now I have to dig deep into research on the different pulleys and other supporting mods needed to keep the car reliable.

What do people usually do as far as a chip? Or do most people do the pulley upgrade and a tune?

there are no chips anymore, it is all done by handheld tuner. (cpie used to be the phrase for basic starter mods because when teh cars first came out there were only chips and handhelds were not out yet, sorry for any confusion)

it is best if you find a reputable tuner closeby to you so you can do a custom dyno tune and you will know whether you will need any supporting mods to go along with your pulley.

Tyler06

Established Member
there are no chips anymore, it is all done by handheld tuner. (cpie used to be the phrase for basic starter mods because when teh cars first came out there were only chips and handhelds were not out yet, sorry for any confusion)

it is best if you find a reputable tuner closeby to you so you can do a custom dyno tune and you will know whether you will need any supporting mods to go along with your pulley.

Yeah that's what everyone has been saying. Find someone close to you thatll do the tuning. I don't know to many people in the area that get there cars dynoed so I'll have to do some research on some tuning facilities near me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not everyone has access to a local (dyno) tuner. If you can't find anyone for a local dyno tune, contact VMP for a custom (remote) tune. A number of members here have their tunes. There are other good custom tuners out there.

Tyler06

Established Member
Not everyone has access to a local (dyno) tuner. If you can't find anyone for a local dyno tune, contact VMP for a custom (remote) tune. A number of members here have their tunes. There are other good custom tuners out there.

I'll have to look into that alternative as well. American Muscle is not to far away from me. I wonder if they to tunes for Cobra's and other Mustangs. I can imagine they do, but I would have to do some research from people that have had their cars tuned there.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Congrats on the clean looking OW Cobra! :) .... research is a good thing...most likely I'd start with a 2.76" pulley and a tune and go from there!

Tyler06

Established Member
Congrats on the clean looking OW Cobra! :) .... research is a good thing...most likely I'd start with a 2.76" pulley and a tune and go from there!

Thanks Tim, I think I am going to keep it as is for now until I get a lot of research done and really see what I want to get. At this rate it'll allow me to get used to the power. In the future I think I will be doing a pulley and a tune. I may invest in a hand-held tune for now or a dyno tune as is. As people have said and the research I have done so far. I think it is best to really take my time and be knowledgeable about what these cars really are behind the scenes and talk to others about their cars.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Thanks Tim, I think I am going to keep it as is for now until I get a lot of research done and really see what I want to get. At this rate it'll allow me to get used to the power. In the future I think I will be doing a pulley and a tune. I may invest in a hand-held tune for now or a dyno tune as is. As people have said and the research I have done so far. I think it is best to really take my time and be knowledgeable about what these cars really are behind the scenes and talk to others about their cars.

Sounds like a good plan ~ enjoy!!!

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Nice clean car!
my advice enjoy the car for the summer and modify only when you have heard all the options and waited a few months to work out the problems that might arise.
my alternator went in the first month and my intake filter kept falling off so I upgraded those first.

do u have plans to go with a bigger supercharger? turbo?
if you dont know what you are going to do with the power i would just do an intake and tune until u decide which route u want to go.
in the mean time you can always upgrade the brakes and suspension (check out Maximum Motorsports)

I have SLP exhaust and offroad xpipe and jba shorties and its loud. kinda hard to drive 75 on the highway without the music way up to cover the exhaust.. so think about that as well. when i pass people with there windows open they don't like it as well. l just had a guy cuss me out at a stop light last weak for "blowing his ear drums" all i did was laugh.

Last edited:

Tyler06

Established Member
Nice clean car!
my advice enjoy the car for the summer and modify only when you have heard all the options and waited a few months to work out the problems that might arise.
my alternator went in the first month and my intake filter kept falling off so I upgraded those first.

do u have plans to go with a bigger supercharger? turbo?
if you dont know what you are going to do with the power i would just do an intake and tune until u decide which route u want to go.
in the mean time you can always upgrade the brakes and suspension (check out Maximum Motorsports)

I have SLP exhaust and offroad xpipe and jba shorties and its loud. kinda hard to drive 75 on the highway without the music way up to cover the exhaust.. so think about that as well. when i pass people with there windows open they don't like it as well. l just had a guy cuss me out at a stop light last weak for "blowing his ear drums" all i did was laugh.

I am not to sure exactly where I want to go with the power mods just yet. Whether that be a KB, Whipple, or Ported eaton. I think I am going to wait a while and hit some mustang shows and talk to owners about the power mods they have done and there suggestions. Obviously everyone is going to have different set-ups and different opinions but it'll be good to hear everyone's advice and their ideas.

Hahaha that is awesome! I would be laughing and smiling the whole way home.

Tyler06

Established Member
Had a chance to back the car out of the garage for a small DIRTY shoot. I also got a couple quick videos of the car at idle and some revs. I put 93 in the car and it is running extremely rich, definitely needs a good tune for the 93. Not the best pictures and videos, but I figured I would get some stuff while the car was out and had the camera handy. ENJOY!! Once again I want to thank everyone for their input and advice on helping a newbie out to the Cobra world. Videos were taken on the Iphone so they are bad quality.

27356024803_c58ae870e2_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1310 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27689797390_101656912f_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1328 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27689797620_90deb19a8e_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1325 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27689796930_d58c30de57_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1322 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27689798140_ccf233dfa6_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1321 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27867738662_10e67471b8_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1320 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27867738732_3c7d7954e5_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1317 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27689797060_6d8c7c3b4d_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1314 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27355754743_5ef47f4c05_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1313 by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
[video] 20160629_000822000_iOS by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/video]
20160628_235917000_iOS by tdevlin06, on Flickr[video] 20160628_235917000_iOS by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/video]
27356159383_30bc6a80b6_b.jpg
[/url]20160628_235917000_iOS by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]
27356157763_1587fc556b_b.jpg
[/url]20160629_000822000_iOS by tdevlin06, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

Tyler06

Established Member
Since I most likely wont be doing any type of mods this summer I have been looking at changing the exhaust. I am stuck between a couple options. What do you guys think. I love the muscle sound of the stingers and prochamber combo but I think I want it to be a little louder then it is. The car is loud at WOT, but I like an exhaust that is somewhat loud at cruising speed and then screams at WOT.
1) Keep the Stingers with Pro-chamber
2) Switch the prochamber with an Off road X
3) Purchase Borla Ataks and keep the Prochamber

Any other combos/vids are welcome to chime in?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Since I most likely wont be doing any type of mods this summer I have been looking at changing the exhaust. I am stuck between a couple options. What do you guys think. I love the muscle sound of the stingers and prochamber combo but I think I want it to be a little louder then it is. The car is loud at WOT, but I like an exhaust that is somewhat loud at cruising speed and then screams at WOT.
1) Keep the Stingers with Pro-chamber
2) Switch the prochamber with an Off road X
3) Purchase Borla Ataks and keep the Prochamber

Any other combos/vids are welcome to chime in?

my vote to keep #1, but #2 is also great (even with a catted x).

stingers are one of the best catbacks

Tyler06

Established Member
my vote to keep #1, but #2 is also great (even with a catted x).

stingers are one of the best catbacks

I love the stingers. I had them on my old GT with an UPR off road X and it was LOUD! I keep switching back and forth between keeping the H and waiting to see if I get long-tubes or switching up to an off road X. Decisions decisions lol.

Users who are viewing this thread