First Impression - Lethal Hi-Flow Cat X Pipe

TexasShelby

Established Member
Just got the hi-flow cats and x pipe installed at a local "trusted" muffler shop. Labor was about 2 hours and $80.

I am running the original Corsa (14311) exhaust (Corsa now makes a couple different axlle back systems, mine was purchased and installed back in early 07).
With the the new cats it's about 30% louder during acceleration. During normal city driving, not much change.

Haven't run it very hard, waiting on new clutch install Monday, but throttle response is noticeable better.

I'll have more when the clutch and flywheel is done.

All in all so far, this is a good buy, and easy upgrade.

kent1

Established Member
I run the lethal high flow cats on my car and love it. Car does run much better and has a better sound during acceleration and perfect for idle. I did not want to run headers and this setup is a great way to get extra power without all the attention of noise. Enjoy your new exhaust. :rockon:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Will this x-pipe pass emissions?

Since I live in Florida...and Kent that posted above you lives in Louisiana, neither state has sniffer tests. w00t!

:pepper:

I honestly have no clue if they would pass, but I bet it would be more tune dependent. I have heard tuners comment that they could send you an emissions tune to past a sniffer test.

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I'm actually a Florida resident stationed with the military in North Carolina but I'll be retiring at the end of this month and will therefore be forfeiting my Florida residency as I'll be staying for a government job. Unfortunately, NC tests for emissions and if that isn't bad enough, I'll have to start paying a state income tax. Damn.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
I run the Magnaflow x with cats and passed state emissions test in Texas. They do not use the sniffer test, it's checked thru the port, so I assume the tune is the key.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
We don't have emissions in west Texas, must be a city thing.

It actually depends on the county you live in. I live in Williamson CO and it does do emission testing. My GT500 is registered in TN though so I don't have to do the lame TX vehicle inspection thing. Gotta love military perks.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
The high flow cats should allow you to pass, why else have them and not just go off-road?
But it is also true it's in the tune. Most likely the tune will have the rear sensors turned off and when the computer checks for errors there won't be any.

I am in NC in Wake Co and for inspections I don't recall seeing a sniffer, only them hooking car up to computer.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Moody said:
But it is also true it's in the tune. Most likely the tune will have the rear sensors turned off and when the computer checks for errors there won't be any.

Which begs the question - if you run cats but have the cat protection strategies shut off, what is protecting the cats from burning up?

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I didn't think NC used the sniffer. I had my GT500 tested for the first time a couple of months ago and it failed because the tune I have (Jon Lund) had the sensors turned off. He fixed that with the new tune he sent me. Jon said he usually has the sensors turned off by default on his tunes in case the customer wants to go with an off-road pipe later on. Does turning off the sensors really have the potential to damage the cats? I find it surprising that a reputible tuner like Jon would have most of his tunes set with sensors off without asking if the customer will run without cats.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Which begs the question - if you run cats but have the cat protection strategies shut off, what is protecting the cats from burning up?

Nothing, and not recommended when running stock cats. More questions spawn from your question.

If the protection system is still enabled, will the high flow cats allow more heat to escape and decrease heat build up so the circuit doesn't activate due to elimination of overheat? If true, does this mean you could safely disable the system to prevent rich WOT conditions?

I know my exhaust is MUCH hotter at the exhaust tips after adding high flow cats. If the tips are that much hotter, this must mean that the high flow cats are allowing more heat to escape due to improved exhaust flow.

Does turning off the sensors really have the potential to damage the cats? I find it surprising that a reputible tuner like Jon would have most of his tunes set with sensors off without asking if the customer will run without cats.

He disabled the rear O2 sensors, and will not damage the cats. The rear sensors only determine if the cats are doing their job by taking an after cat reading. If the readings from the front O2 and rear O2 are the same, then obviously the cat isn't functioning properly, and a code will trigger (federal emission standards). You would get a fault code with an off road mid pipe for the same reason if the rear O2 sensors were not disabled.

Trust me, he is thinking ahead as these cars are famous for being run on the street without cats. They serve no purpose to determine AFR in closed loop like the front sensors do, and only serve as a "test" for the cats. IMO, rear sensors are worthless for a street high HP machine.

Last edited:

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
That's good info. I didn't think Jon would be sending out tunes that would potentially screw something up. I just needed to be educated on how the sensors really work. Thanks.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That's good info. I didn't think Jon would be sending out tunes that would potentially screw something up. I just needed to be educated on how the sensors really work. Thanks.

You are welcome. Jon Lund is an awesome tuner, and I doubt you would be able to find someone more capable for tuning a Ford modular engine. I can guarantee his tunes will make as much, or more power than a competitive tuner, and still be safe. In fact, safer than some of the other tuners. He does NOT remove fail safe systems incorporated in a tune to protect your engine in case of a sensor, electrical, or mechanical failure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread