First Startup - MMR Twin Turbo Pro Mod Coyote fired up on stand

poof100

Established Member
We are not sure, we have not had the opportunity to look at it since it left our facility, it did make some decent power on the first few pulls. You would have to ask the owner of the car in regards to the rods he used as he supplied all of the parts, they were not purchased from MMR.

Interesting. How different are the Manley rods that broke in this build versus what you would supply? If I'm not mistaken, you always reccomend Manley rods, correct?

Johnf78

Established Member
From this.....
This engine is a near duplicate of the MMR World Record Holder which has run 7.02 @ 202 - so it should go 8's (8.0 s) letting out of the throttle around 750ft LOL - but in all seriousness this one should run mid-to low 7's. :beer:

To this......
We are not sure, we have not had the opportunity to look at it since it left our facility, it did make some decent power on the first few pulls. You would have to ask the owner of the car in regards to the rods he used as he supplied all of the parts, they were not purchased from MMR.

Something isn't adding up here. So you know it's going to be a mid to low 7 second car and you don't know what rods were used in the motor or you are not making sure the best parts are used in a build like this that has your name on it?

Deespeed99

Established Member
From this.....
Something isn't adding up here. So you know it's going to be a mid to low 7 second car and you don't know what rods were used in the motor or you are not making sure the best parts are used in a build like this that has your name on it?

They built the motor with some of his own supplied parts. Its not a motor that they built from scratch.

poof100

Established Member
They built the motor with some of his own supplied parts. Its not a motor that they built from scratch.

Right, but if I brought them parts that couldn't hold up to my goals, why would they even go in the motor? As pointed out, this is a near duplicate of the "world record holder" we keep hearing about, however, now the Rods aren't the same because the customer supplied them? What are the differences between the ones in the motor and what "should" have been used? Seems very odd.

Deespeed99

Established Member
Right, but if I brought them parts that couldn't hold up to my goals, why would they even go in the motor? As pointed out, this is a near duplicate of the "world record holder" we keep hearing about, however, now the Rods aren't the same because the customer supplied them? What are the differences between the ones in the motor and what "should" have been used? Seems very odd.

I agree. Not sure the logic on it but ultimately it was his decision.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Thats exactly what Im thinking.

Brandon Alsept

Established Member
Ya know I could see if a person just took there stuff somewhere to get assembled, and not tell the machine shop the intentions for the engine. But, when the place starts a thread to brag about this near clone to the record setting engine. I think I would have insisted b the customer buy parts to fit the needs and goals he set forth. That sucks for greg now he will have to buy rods, get a block fixed if it can be repaired and just all the time and labor to start all over.

I tell people all the time it isn't saving money if you have to spend it 2-3 times.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Not sure why Manley I beams were used in favor of Oliver or Crower BILLET I beams? Doesn't make sense.

D.T.R

Established Member
Not sure why Manley I beams were used in favor of Oliver or Crower BILLET I beams? Doesn't make sense.

I do not think they used Manley I beams, as those are billet rods rated to about 200whp per rod... they must have used H beams rods.

Brandon Alsept

Established Member
I do not think they used Manley I beams, as those are billet rods rated to about 200whp per rod... they must have used H beams rods.

20140217_154446_zpsdb538168.jpg

FORD 4.6L MODULAR V- 8
PRO SERIES “I” BEAM LIGHTWEIGHT
P/N 14318-8 is NHRA Legal for Stock & Super Stock.
✓ Forged from 4340 aircraft quality vacuum degassed material
✓ Manufactured in our own CNC machining centers
✓ Fully machined to produce the lightest and strongest rod possible
✓ Shot peened after machining to Mil specs and 100% individually magnafluxed
✓ Cap fasteners are 7/16" ARP 2000 ( 220,000 psi ) cap screws
✓ Horsepower range for these rods is 750 H.P. at 8500 rpm

Manley # 14318 where in the engine per Greg

D.T.R

Established Member
I was under the impression that those I beam rods were rated at 200whp per rod.
Might be apples and oranges, but that is a very common rod on imports and they push 900-1000whp through 4 of those rods all day long.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Can't blame MMR when the customer who they were having the engine built for is an actual shop who has the knowledge to build what they desire.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Can't blame MMR when the customer who they were having the engine built for is an actual shop who has the knowledge to build what they desire.

You can when they where calling the engine a clone of the record setting engine. When MMR knee the rods would not last for the customers goal.

Deespeed99

Established Member

I actually agree and cant fault MMR on this one.

You can when they where calling the engine a clone of the record setting engine. When MMR knee the rods would not last for the customers goal.

No one knew the rods would not last. H beam rods are used a lot in differwnt applications and a lot of big HP guys like them over I beams. Its a matter of preference. Greg & RET are a very well ran & known shop. He would t just throw some shit together and hope for the best. They knew what they were doing when they picked their parts. Its just unfortunate it didnt work for his goals.

Brandon Alsept

Established Member

You are right. That would be like blaming the person at Mcdonalds for fat people.

But, in this scenario you took your stuff to a "PROFESSIONAL" to have it built. They should have never put it together with parts that were not up to par, so I feel the blame falls more on them myself. By them assembling it I take that as "here you go its as good as if we built it" which I think they said it was basically a clone of there record setting engine in this very thread didn't they?

Brandon Alsept

Established Member
i actually agree and cant fault mmr on this one.

No one knew the rods would not last. H beam rods are used a lot in differwnt applications and a lot of big hp guys like them over i beams. Its a matter of preference. Greg & ret are a very well ran & known shop. He would t just throw some shit together and hope for the best. They knew what they were doing when they picked their parts. Its just unfortunate it didnt work for his goals.

not h beams

ford 4.6l modular v- 8
pro series “i” beam lightweight
p/n 14318-8 is nhra legal for stock & super stock.
✓ forged from 4340 aircraft quality vacuum degassed material
✓ manufactured in our own cnc machining centers
✓ fully machined to produce the lightest and strongest rod possible
✓ shot peened after machining to mil specs and 100% individually magnafluxed
✓ cap fasteners are 7/16" arp 2000 ( 220,000 psi ) cap screws
✓ horsepower range for these rods is 750 h.p. At 8500 rpm

Brandon Alsept

Established Member
Thank you for correcting me. That's even more reason no one should be blaming MMR. No one would've thought that rod would've failed. I thought he had H beams in it which I could understand everyone giving MMR crap.

So let me get this straight it is ok for someone to build something that is estimated to make 1500+ horsepower to use rods rated at 750 horsepower?

I would think a quality Engine Builder would have been like ya know I don't fill comfortable putting this together with these parts. I can either buy the proper ones, or you can bring me this part #.

Users who are viewing this thread