First time out on drag radial... Bye bye factory posi...!!!

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
I just came back from a very disappointing time at the track... I finally found time to put on my new MT 17 inch drag radials and try them out... Nice 60 degree day up here in Canada and the air was perfect for me to get in some good passes... First pass I launched at 3000rpm at 20psi in the tire and car can out nice and I shifted cleanly at 6300rpm... Car ran great so I thought. Got my time slip and it said 1.98 sixty, 12.47 at 114mph and I was like WTF is this my time slip? My car bone stock went 118mph all the time and once 119mph. The car has since gone 123mph with my mods on a street tire... So I decided to go make another pass... I came up did a nice 5-10 second burnout, staged and launch at 3500rpm this time. Car hooked then about at the sixty foot mark my right rear started to spin so I let off and started to accelerate once traction was back and crossed the line at 12.98 at 113mph... I kept wondering where my mph had gone... So at this point I figured maybe I'll lower the tire pressure a bit and launch higher rpm (4000rpm to be exact) did the same duration burnout then staged the car. It hooked then did the same thing at the sixty foot and I crossed the line at 13.01 at 111mph... I was like WTF... So far everyone at the track thinks my posi is toast... I wanted to know what you guys think or if you have any questions... I got a video of one of the passes I just have to post it to YouTube first...

Last edited:

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Oh I also did a one wheel burnout once and that's what really got me to thinking the posi is gone... I'm getting it fixed under warranty... Thank god my dealer over looks mods but what would be best for a DD/track car...?

DMotorsports

Established Member
The only negative thing I've heard about the Wavetrac is its price. Supposedly as strong as a Detroit locker, but much smoother in operation. The road course guys love them.

Detroit locker is bullet proof, but has its quirks that are well documented.

Then there are some other posi units, which also have their limits. I say if you're going to replace it on your dime, do it once.

CPRsm

Once you do a one wheeled burn out it's over.

Electric locker FTMFW. Lock and make a spool at the track. Unlock into an open dif when cruising around.Would have done it myself but only go up to 33 spine.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Trutrac is a good choice for a street/strip care

BOD89LX

Established Member
If you are paying why not rebuild the trac loc and add an extra clutch on each side?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Ive always been tempted to race with tc on, just havent had the balls to do it.

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Lol no traction control was off... I iced the blower for a hour after the first 2 passes... My best pass was the first one after I got there and swapped tires... My mph got worse as the day went on... I ran it in 90 degree weather and the slowest the car went was 117mph with mods and that was after 3 back to back passes... Wanted to see how bad heatsoak affected my car...

bull3441

Established Member
Lol no traction control was off... I iced the blower for a hour after the first 2 passes... My best pass was the first one after I got there and swapped tires... My mph got worse as the day went on... I ran it in 90 degree weather and the slowest the car went was 117mph with mods and that was after 3 back to back passes... Wanted to see how bad heatsoak affected my car...
how was the clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread