first z/28 review

Formula51

Established Member
it cracks me up seeing people compare this to the boss or even boss ls. apples and oranges really. its also hard to compare it to the boss 302s since that is more of a race car than this. that has a cage, fire suppression system, actual real racing seats, and a removable steering wheel for petes sake! lol. one is a bonafide track only car and the other a "can track" car. this camaro doesnt really have a true mustang counterpart. after the zl1 getting its shit pushed in by the 13 gt500 GM had to come up with something to stir the pot and create brand excitement for its camaro faithful. its a specialty collector car really. that's why its street legal. so you can drive to cars n coffee every weekend and show it off to the guys with the 13 gt500. you dont really have to worry about someone in a 302s or R parking next to you lol. and then you can just shrug and say, well that's not even a street legal car.
and you could go take it to the local road course "if you wanted to". just like a local vette owner told me his C6 could do 170mph and he may do that some day lol. or a 2013 gt500 owner could attempt to hit 200+ in his stock gt500 lol.

can you imagine the complaining we'd hear if the 2013/14 gt500 came on R compound tires and with 305s up front? let alone how many wrecked cars we'd see.

its a camaro fan hero car. that's about it. ask any camaro SS owner if they'd buy and drive this car instead of their SS. its not something anyone would really want to drive around town in. 305 front tires?? track compound that need to be warmed up?? no ac? yes, its an option but you might as well just include it on a streetable car. or just make it a full blown non-streetable track car like the 302s/r

are fender flares chevys way of adding wider tires now? the z06 had the sweet wide body. now they just add these little extenders like my hdf150 has and i can see they've done it here as well. i dont think they look so good on the z06 and this camaro :dw:

im betting 99% of these will never see an ass in the back seat lol.

nobody would buy this car for 4 seater potential. almost doesnt even need a passenger front seat. these cars are either going to sit in a garage and attend the occasional local cars and coffee or they are going to be the occasional track toy. and i say occasional track toy because i would think anyone who wants a real track toy, for that $, would buy a vette over any camaro. you'd have to be a die hard camaro lover to want/buy this car. and theyre out there. im sure they'll sell every single one. could they sell 5,000 of them?? i think not :nono:

I agree. If you are a Camaro fan that wants a drivable/liveable Camaro you can take to HPDE days, you buy an SS 1LE. It's that simple. That car is faster than a Boss while costing roughly $6k less. If you want to go faster, heads/cam/headers and upgraded brake pads. Unfortunately, you still have an ugly and heavy 5th Gen Camaro! Although it is a fast one!

The Z28 is a collector car, a halo car, but it is a darn nice one!

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Dammit you beat me to it lol...don't forget about the brakes.....I just find it funny that all ppl car about is 662hp and that automatically equals a bargain. The rest of the car is short changed in every aspect compared to the engine...it is a trade off not a bargain. I am not bashing the car as I have no problem picking out the class in my cars but ppl want to praise this car like its so amazing and everything else on the car is a bargain like the HP per dollar is...it is FAR from it ppl.

As for the Z28....I personally hate it and would never...EVER own it but i would not call a car pulling the times it does in the 1/4mi one dimensional simply because that is not what this particular car is designed to do yet it still pulls off decent times at something it wasn't built for.
Why are you making excuses for the Z28? The Z28 is nothing but a trade off car. You call the gt500 one dimensional but say the Z28 isn't? The GT500 beat the ZL1, GM's tit for tat offering, at the ring. I would say that's a decent time it wasn't built for considering GM's claim to fame is handling. The Z28 is considerably more one dimensional than the GT500. A Z28 has to beg for a lot of curves to be a better car than the $20k less GT500. Call me a homer all you want but that's how I see this.

Sick03Vert

Banned
All I'll say about the Z/28 is this: I watched a review on Yahoo Autos between it and the 2014 GT-R Track Edition.

The reviewer said he'd rather have the Z/28 because it felt more "precise" and "outhandled" the GT-R. He actually said it felt like "a precision tool" where he said the GT-R felt like "a hammer."

GM is headed for another bankruptcy if they keep shelling out for reviews like that.

*Edit: Link added. Try to keep a straight face. I couldn't. Especially when they said, "We didn't bring a Mustang because that would have been TOO EASY." :dw::lol1: Yeah OK.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/how-an-on-track-showdown-between-america-s-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-and-japan-s-nissan-gt-r-changes-perception-190444455.html

Last edited:

Rotzs99

Established Member
The reviewer said he'd rather have the Z/28 because it felt more "precise" and "outhandled" the GT-R. He actually said it felt like "a precision tool" where he said the GT-R felt like "a hammer."

I just started watching, but they did pick a comparo car almost everyone agrees doesn't have a good track feel. The GT-R always puts up good times, but usually leaves the reviewers feeling detached.

EDIT: Finished watching. So they didn't really even drive the GT-R hard because it busted a wheel stud. Also, this was in the article.

"You don’t smile in the Camaro. You fret about missing your apex by 5 inches, or botching a shift (the manual gearbox is a tad notchy, and if you try to change too fast, what should be third, ends up as first). The steering, too, is lifeless — something GM is struggling with in all its performance cars."

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
All I'll say about the Z/28 is this: I watched a review on Yahoo Autos between it and the 2014 GT-R Track Edition.

GM is headed for another bankruptcy if they keep shelling out for reviews like that.

*Edit: Link added. Try to keep a straight face. I couldn't. Especially when they said, "We didn't bring a Mustang because that would have been TOO EASY." :dw::lol1: Yeah OK.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/how-an-on-track-showdown-between-america-s-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-and-japan-s-nissan-gt-r-changes-perception-190444455.html
Exactly what most say about the GTR. Understeers too much but makes up for it on corner exit due to AWD. Feels dull and numb

Will you say the same when Motor Trend releases their test with the same driver, same day, same track against the GTR Track edition and 911 Turbo S? Down on power and weighs more and still out lapped them. That was GM's goal and they hit it. :shrug:

We can argue price all day but most crying would not buy a GM if it were half the price so that is mute point for fanboys to argue.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
what i dont get? where are the supposed weight savings??

the 2014 camaro 1SS weighs 3908lbs

the Z28 weighs 3858lbs

that's exactly 50lbs less!!

and the 1LE weighs.... 3860lbs..

the motor alone is supposed to weigh a hell of a lot less. i assume carbon brakes are supposed to be a lot lighter than standard steel rotors? is it the trans that weighs so much? GM says they supposedly shaved 200lbs but they obviously added most of it right back into the car elsewhere.

this car costs more than DOUBLE what the 1LE does and yet it weighs 2lbs less......2lbs...!
Steve, weight savings are compared to the ZL1 which this car is based off of that is 41xxlbs.

Ls7 does weigh less than the LSA in the ZL1 due to no supercharger, intercooler, heat exchanger etc... Their comments about the Ls7 weighing 68lbs less than the Ls3 are retarded, they mean the LSA in the pile of shit ZL1. The rear alone in the ZL1 is a substantial gain as it is virtually bullet proof. Not to mention all the cooling parts needed to run lap after lap as opposed to just hero laps to set a time

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member

Well, according to GM the Z28 lapped 5 seconds faster than the Boss LS on their Milford proving grounds. If that is true, then the Mustang statement has some validity. Who knows, we will need to see more tests with a good driver behind the wheel as anyone who tracks their car knows that makes all the difference.

Formula51

Established Member
Why are you making excuses for the Z28? The Z28 is nothing but a trade off car. You call the gt500 one dimensional but say the Z28 isn't? The GT500 beat the ZL1, GM's tit for tat offering, at the ring. I would say that's a decent time it wasn't built for considering GM's claim to fame is handling. The Z28 is considerably more one dimensional than the GT500. A Z28 has to beg for a lot of curves to be a better car than the $20k less GT500. Call me a homer all you want but that's how I see this.

If the Z28 lives up to GM's claimed track times and runs low 12's in the quarter mile on top of that, then I would say it is pretty well rounded.

Also, that Ring statement is not entirely correct as Ford did not release an official time for the GT500. Consider the GT500 and ZL1 very close/equal on track, running within a second of each other in most comparisons.

If the Z28 stickers for $75k, then the difference to a comparable GT500 (SVTPP, track pack, Recaros) is going to be closer to $10k. Thus, I think the $75k price tag for a limited production car like the Z28 is not unreasonable.

The GT500 is an awesome car, but it really isn't a competitor to the Z28. The two cars are very different, with very different intentions.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member

Straight from the Horse's mouth.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrGjr5RPlo

Rotzs99

Established Member

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I would not trust Chevy's numbers racing a Ford, but it seems like they could be pretty reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI

Motor Trend tested a Boss LS vs ZL1 and the ZL1 was 2 sec faster.

I just want to see what Bruce could do to one in his 302s or even the R.

We wont even mention the fact that they also tested the zl1 and gt500 and the gt500 was faster.

However why does everyone compare a $75k car to a $48k car? Would anyone buy this car over the c6/c7 Z06?:beer:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
We wont even mention the fact that they also tested the zl1 and gt500 and the gt500 was faster.

However why does everyone compare a $75k car to a $48k car? Would anyone buy this car over the c6/c7 Z06?:beer:

I linked the video for the comments about the cars targets which are not Mustangs. Who will buy it? Camaro fans with money which there are plenty of.

The car is not meant for ****ing Cooter and Skeeter and Billy Bob to be able to afford. They are still driving 98 Camaros crying about the price of an SS.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you_zpstppxoyj6.jpg

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
alright "good old country boy" here is where you went wrong.

These aren't tractors, they actually do TURN. Try taking a freeway off ramp in both and see which you can push further.

Look if all you care about is straight line performance go by an ariel atom V8. Other wise stop jerking off to your gt500 and open your eyes.

I see someone is armchair critiquing the GT500.... Did you drive one and put at least 25 miles on it? Probably not. The GT500 pulls a g on the skidpad! If you actually driven one, you would know they can handle quite well.

[youtube_browser]wRT9LhYaoO8[/youtube_browser]

BTW, How come almost every single post you make contains a racial epithet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread