first z/28 review

kaz109

Established Member
I see someone is armchair critiquing the GT500.... Did you drive one and put at least 25 miles on it? Probably not. The GT500 pulls a g on the skidpad! If you actually driven one, you would know they can handle quite well.

[youtube_browser]wRT9LhYaoO8[/youtube_browser]

BTW, How come almost every single post you make contains a racial epithet?

I have driven one and I would disagree with you. They do not handle quiet well, maybe compared to other but ppl tend to mistake power for handling. Yes it can put down decent track times simply because it can power out and make up time in the flats but that has nothing to do with handling. It is a great motor in search of everything trying to keep up with it.

Again by you making the statement " quiet well" I assume you mean compared to ( insert other car name here) but just to say it is a well handling car I would have to disagree with that statement .

Laloosh

Established Member
75k for that? For what? A wheel and tire pacage that lets this car stick to the pavement like glue? Put that set up on the competition and watch this thing go from a track day hero to a track day turd.

AC as an option
v6 camaro interior
1 speaker radio
Thinner rear glass that saves grams? They went full retard on this thing.

Best of all the mighty ls7 engine in a "track" car. LOL, hope they figured out the heads and oiling issue cause that dry sump isn't enough.

They could have actually made this car interesting but instead they ruined it.

In all honestly a zl1 or even a 1le with just the rim and tires will give that thing a run for its money. Such a shame.

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Lol @ some people in this thread. I don't think GM cares about what you guys think and they aren't going to have a problem moving these off the lots. Continue throwing your temper tantrums

I have to agree. It seems like a lot of the Ford faithful have forgot that 14 years ago Ford came out with the 2000 Cobra R. At $55k the Cobra R was twice the price of a regular 99-01 Cobra. Even back then people were saying that was way too much for a Mustang but Ford sold every one.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Lots of bashing the GT500 in this thread even though the car represents a value the automotive world has never seen. Even Jay Leno admits he's upset that it's faster than his Ford GT and costs a quarter as much...he also admits that it's an unheard of value and he can't believe a Mustang that hit's 200mph. He is a prime example of a guy who OWNS IT ALL and still praises the GT500.

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 & Boss 302 - YouTube

Someone made fun of it's brakes...hmm, mine seems insanely good and they are HUGE brembo 6 piston calipers...this comes stock on the GT500.

Top speed over 200 mph...someone LOL'd at this even though it has been done by numerous people/magazines.

Also, for $1300 you can add a pulley/TB/Tune like I did and make 711RWHP and even more TQ. A member with similar mods on this forum hit 193 in the texas mile with his "wimpy" GT500...vid below

2013 GT500 193.6 MPH - Texas Mile March 2013 - YouTube

GT500 is a fat pig??? It weighs 3850 lbs...whats the lightweight Z28 weigh again???

0-60 3.4 second, 1/4 mile [email protected] are numbers that beat the new viper and keep right up with a ZR1. Stock numbers may I add...car has incredible mod potential.

One dimensional, but pulls over 1G on the skidpad, has a useable back seat, huge trunk and gets 25MPG on the highway???

Carbon fiber driveshaft is stock as well.

Launch control is standard as well.

Here's the problem, you guys have never driven one. I have owned over 36 sports cars in my life and NOTHING comes close to the new GT500. Looks ****ing awesome as well.

And no matter what anyone is telling you, yes you can get them in the low 50's...I got mine for 53,800 with Recaro's as the only option.

Ford put a lot of energy, effort and thought into this car. Can you really say the same about this new z28? It feels like one of those Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR editions, where they strip all the comfort out, save the company thousands by doing so and then charge double the price of it's regular model.

AAG

Established Member
Not quite sure about the sticker price, but the z/28 is a BEAST. The ball is in your court Ford, because around a track, nothing you offer at this moment can beat it.

This is the '00 Cobra R of 15 years ago for about the same price (considering inflation) and it's much much better.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Not quite sure about the sticker price, but the z/28 is a BEAST. The ball is in your court Ford, because around a track, nothing you offer at this moment can beat it.

And I seriously doubt you'll be able to get one for msrp, dealers are going to mark these up $10k+.

The upcoming GT350 will give it a run. It's starting on a 200lb lighter platform. The new 15 GT has already surpassed the Boss according to Ford without adding substantial power. The GT350 has been spied with carbon ceramic brakes as well. With over 500hp and additional chassis tuning with a similar tire to the Z/28, it should be interesting.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
GM has already said they are not targeting anything but the GTR and 911 GT3. This model is not intended to go against any current mustang plain and simple. Motor Trend will be releasing test data against the GTR Track Edition and 911 Turbo S and it out lapped both.
Bullshit, I'll believe it when I see it.

Formula51

Established Member
The upcoming GT350 will give it a run. It's starting on a 200lb lighter platform. The new 15 GT has already surpassed the Boss according to Ford without adding substantial power. The GT350 has been spied with carbon ceramic brakes as well. With over 500hp and additional chassis tuning with a similar tire to the Z/28, it should be interesting.

And then along comes the next highend model or special edition 6th Gen Camaro on its smaller/lighter chassis with some version of the new LT1 Gen 5 V8 and around and around we go! Got to love it!

Formula51

Established Member
Bullshit, I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree. Lapping faster than the GTR Track Edition would put this on the same level as the C6 Corvette Z07. I just don't see a 3,800 lbs. Camaro with the same engine accomplishing that, regardless of what tires are on it.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I agree. Lapping faster than the GTR Track Edition would put this on the same level as the C6 Corvette Z07. I just don't see a 3,800 lbs. Camaro with the same engine accomplishing that, regardless of what tires are on it.
Laguna seca lap times under controlled conditions with the same driver for most. This is not the Nismo edition. The track edition is slower than a c6z. Pobst should be running this track soon for Motor Trends yearly best handling car contest. It already posted the exact time as a 458 Italia in the figure 8 course. If you look around there is plenty of info out there already.

Laguna Seca lap records - FastestLaps.com Randy Pobst times are done with press cars during comparison tests

Ring times are a joke and there are too many variables involved and manufacturer sanctioned runs have agendas to sell cars.

Last edited:

Formula93

Established Member
75k for that? For what? A wheel and tire pacage that lets this car stick to the pavement like glue? Put that set up on the competition and watch this thing go from a track day hero to a track day turd.

AC as an option
v6 camaro interior
1 speaker radio
Thinner rear glass that saves grams? They went full retard on this thing.

Best of all the mighty ls7 engine in a "track" car. LOL, hope they figured out the heads and oiling issue cause that dry sump isn't enough.

They could have actually made this car interesting but instead they ruined it.

In all honestly a zl1 or even a 1le with just the rim and tires will give that thing a run for its money. Such a shame.

You are ****ing clueless, it isn't just some wheel and tire package, there is way more to the car than you obviously know. Is it worth $70K? Not really but it's a lot of car that holds its own.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Give me a second. When I get a chance I'll try to find the preview story again. Does anyone search anymore?
If you are going to make claims or say a magazine did this time/that time you might want to pull a source.

Also their target of beating a porsche turbo model from 2009 is pretty good, just don't think its going to beat a 2014 Turbo S.

I also like to reference this when comparing a GTR to a c6z: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzqmpQQfOs I believe that is a carbon edition c6z.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
If you are going to make claims or say a magazine did this time/that time you might want to pull a source.

Also their target of beating a porsche turbo model from 2009 is pretty good, just don't think its going to beat a 2014 Turbo S.

I also like to reference this when comparing a GTR to a c6z: GT-R vs Z06 vs GT500: 5-Figure Supercar Shootout! - YouTube I believe that is a carbon edition c6z.

Before I clicked that link I knew it would be on the Streets of Willow track which is very tight with several slow corners. GTR has a field day on tracks like that. On larger tracks the GM cars shine as that is what they design them for.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just hate people dogging a car because it is from a particular manufacturer regardless of how it performs. I love the GTR but an American manufacturer whether it be Ford or GM going after cars like the GTR and Porsche in their domain (road course work) and succeeding is awesome to me. Let alone having the balls to come out and say it. 'Merica

UOP Shadow

Established Member
My guess is that most people who buy the z28 will do it for the prestige. Most people will drive their GT500, BOSS, ZL1 & Z28 on the street as fair weather fun cars. And for that purpose, the GT500 is clearly the best bang for the buck. Chevy doesn't even come close.

Laloosh

Established Member
You are ****ing clueless, it isn't just some wheel and tire package, there is way more to the car than you obviously know. Is it worth $70K? Not really but it's a lot of car that holds its own.

You are the clueless one if you actually think other bits and pieces make this car what it is. I know what is in it and I also know the wheel and tire setup is where majority of the added grip and handling comes from. Put the use identical wheels and tires on the competition and the game is even.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Lol@buying a camaro for prestige

I usually agree with you but tell that to the people paying 6 figures for older ones at auctions. It is one of the most popular classic name plates in America. The Z/28 has a long racing history as does the Boss and GT350 dating back to the sixties. The same baby boomers that shelled out 10-25k adm on the GT500 in 07 will be clamoring over these as well.

GM has made some shitty cars throughout the years and diluted the Z28 line throughout the years. It's heritage cannot be denied though. If the GT500 was simply named Cobra, they could not command the price they do and Ford knows it, hence the renewal of the contract to continue using the Shelby nameplate for the foreseeable future. They know they cannot command the buyer they want without the heritage to somewhat justify it.

'Merica

kaz109

Established Member
I usually agree with you but tell that to the people paying 6 figures for older ones at auctions. It is one of the most popular classic name plates in America. The Z/28 has a long racing history as does the Boss and GT350 dating back to the sixties. The same baby boomers that shelled out 10-25k adm on the GT500 in 07 will be clamoring over these as well.

GM has made some shitty cars throughout the years and diluted the Z28 line throughout the years. It's heritage cannot be denied though. If the GT500 was simply named Cobra, they could not command the price they do and Ford knows it, hence the renewal of the contract to continue using the Shelby nameplate for the foreseeable future. They know they cannot command the buyer they want without the heritage to somewhat justify it.

'Merica

I should've been more specific, I lol@ppl buying this 5th gen for prestige. I personally would have no problem spending six figures on a true classic American muscle car but I do not good this current 5th in the same league as the old school classics

Users who are viewing this thread