first z/28 review

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The car will sell to collectors as stated.
The new C7 is a better car and will probably out handle the z28.
Both are two seater so it does not make sense to me.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I should've been more specific, I lol@ppl buying this 5th gen for prestige. I personally would have no problem spending six figures on a true classic American muscle car but I do not good this current 5th in the same league as the old school classics

I completely understand that. I've never liked the 5th gen or S197 for the same reason.. Too retro. 5th gen in particular has been a huge letdown even though it outsold Mustang handily every year. ****in Transformers

Last edited:

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
Some of the criticisms the Z/28 has now are what some people said about the 2000 Cobra R some 14 years earlier, too expensive for what it is (A Camaro/Mustang), no comfort features, etc.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Before I clicked that link I knew it would be on the Streets of Willow track which is very tight with several slow corners. GTR has a field day on tracks like that. On larger tracks the GM cars shine as that is what they design them for.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just hate people dogging a car because it is from a particular manufacturer regardless of how it performs. I love the GTR but an American manufacturer whether it be Ford or GM going after cars like the GTR and Porsche in their domain (road course work) and succeeding is awesome to me. Let alone having the balls to come out and say it. 'Merica

:lol:;-)

Nothing better than someone who defends their argument with "Oh...on a different track...." or "Even if it's ALMOST as good, even though I said it was better originally and have now been proven wrong, it's still AMAZING."

No fanboyism there. :lol1:

hockeylover86

Established Member
I like how everyone talking about handling has never been to an event in their lives. They enjoy their cars on the street, goosing it here and there on an open road, where a 2013 GT500 would run away like the Z28 is in reverse, and look a helluva lot better. With visibility. Better fuel economy. No gas guzzler tax, maybe even a little bit less money.

Wait, why the **** would you buy one again?

Exactly how I feel...

The guy in one of these who pulls along side a 13/14 GT500 on the highway is going to have a lot of explaining to do to his wife/gf why that Ford with the snake on the side is faster than his $75k special Camaro..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some of the criticisms the Z/28 has now are what some people said about the 2000 Cobra R some 14 years earlier, too expensive for what it is (A Camaro/Mustang), no comfort features, etc.

Very true. I well remember the introduction of the '00 Cobra R and the negative comments made. Now there's a Cobra that I would love to have, despite it's lack of creature comforts and jarring ride. But I guess back then it was nowhere near the top of my list of muscle cars that I'd like to own.

hockeylover86

Established Member
:lol::lol::nonono:.....I personally hate GM and I find this post just retarded. Ppl drive canyons all the time and push their cars as well as track their cars , not everybody wants a one dimensional car like the GT500.....not I would never by this pos camaro but I much prefer the better balanced boss over the GT500. And yes I have driven both on a track.

Yep, we drive the canyons here in Michigan all the time...wait...those are potholes.. :D

GT500 one dimensional?

Isn't That what the Z28 is? It's made to go around curves, yes?

And its overall slower than a base C7 'vette, yes?

All these cars are designed for one specific thing, to get a specific enthusiast/consumer excited enough to part with as much money as possible to purchase one...period..

That is where they have succeeded the most...hype/limited supply/profit...

Cjburn

Established Member
For $75K it's probably close to $35K more than the 2015 GT w/ Track Pack which goal was to run with the Boss LS. Betcha the difference between those two cars at a track day will just be the drivers.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
:lol::lol::nonono:.....I personally hate GM and I find this post just retarded. Ppl drive canyons all the time and push their cars as well as track their cars , not everybody wants a one dimensional car like the GT500.....not I would never by this pos camaro but I much prefer the better balanced boss over the GT500. And yes I have driven both on a track.

Well, if you're the minority that enjoys driving like a maniac on a canyon road or actually attend open track events, there are other choices than a stupid ass 3900lb, $60,000 Camaro that can't pull away from a 115mph trapping car convincingly.. The fact of the matter is, the GT500 is a pony car, a boulevard cruiser. It performs it's intended use flawlessly and then some.

The worst part about the Z28 and ZL! is, it's on the basis of production lap times with factory tires. What the **** is that worth to ANYONE who actually does that type of racing?

Less than .001% of people will be driving on factory tires at an event. A $5k V8 Miata on slicks is going to flyby one like it's a 1k sport bike passing a Camry on the expressway. At least the owner will have solace that the MT magazine with production record laps is sitting on his living room table for him to jerk off to.

Even Nurburgring lap times, the only "official" lap times on that track are done at SANCTIONED EVENTS. Good ****ing luck trying to beat anything in a production car with factory tires if you really got the opportunity.
If I'm going to spend $60k on a pony car, it's going to be brutally fast, look great and be enjoyable to drive on the street. The Z28 falls so far off the mark in all 3 regards it's pure comedy, everything from shit visibility to an atrocious interior with horrible acceleration and fuel economy to boot.

Also, I like how the ignorant call the GT500 one dimensional. It doesn't handle like a Corvette or balanced Z28 on a RACE TRACK, but for a pony car with 662hp it handles itself VERY well in 99.999% of street driven scenarios. Test it in a slalom it will pull 70mph and 1.00Gs on a skidpad, not far off the mark from a ****ing M3. Put some slicks on it to help put the power down and it will be exponentially faster across the board in any category. Granted, when it comes to lap times it will be considerably slower with all that power and lack of tire in production form.

The kiddies are so riled up over Nurburgring and magazine "production" lap times the GT500 is automatically considered one dimensional. The fact those people consider themselves true enthusiasts makes me want to punch 50 babies in the face.

All that being said, bravo to GM's marketing department. They took a piece of shit car and managed to create hype and charge a pretty penny for it. It's sad they betrayed the pony car faithful in the process, but they get an opportunity to redeem themselves in the next Alpha-based iteration of the Camaro.

All fanboism aside, I think the next Camaro, if done right, will be a far better choice than the 2015+ Mustang. 3450lbs, LSX, a real platform to work off, light, balanced, etc.

Last edited:

UOP Shadow

Established Member
Pulled up next to a new Camaro yesterday at a stoplight. It looked like an overweight Prelude from the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread