Five days smoke free... And counting.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Question for you guys that smoke and or dip. What made you start? We all know the consequences of smoking/dipping. I personally never even considered it cause of the harm it can do to the body. No matter how stressed I get I don't think "man I could use a cigarette".

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Recently since I quit a lot of people have asked me how I started. 12 years isn't that long of a time to forget but I honestly have no f'n clue... How weird is that? I can't remember buying my first pack, picking up the habit, etc. Just that one day I was smoking a pack a day and it was a normal part of my life.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Question for you guys that smoke and or dip. What made you start? We all know the consequences of smoking/dipping. I personally never even considered it cause of the harm it can do to the body. No matter how stressed I get I don't think "man I could use a cigarette".
For us old farts, it's what our parents did. I snuck my first smoke in 3rd grade. Took them up in earnest at 15 when I went to high school, because we could smoke outside pretty much anywhere.

Zemedici

Established Member

everyone I knew in the car industry smoked, so it was just a thing to do I supposed, smoke cigarettes and wrench on your cars

nxhappy

Established Member
I was 16 working at a pizza place...all the guys smoked and drank, so I did too lol

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I'm over a month smoke free now. Well over 2 weeks completely nicotine free as well. I don't even think about it anymore it's crazy! I have absolutely no urges to smoke, whether I'm drinking coffee, driving, drinking (not in conjunction with the driving), or just got done laying pipe.

It was SO much easier than I thought it would be and for so long I was scared to try because I was convinced I'd fail. If anyone reading this is a long time smoker you can quit too and I can tell you how easy it is. Just ask!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
almost a week in myself. quit for 4.5 years but after moving my whole life to another state (good decision, very happy I moved) I was stressed out. Smoked a few to take the edge off but started dating a chick who was a heavy smoker... and... yeah.

So far so good, though getting sick a few days before I decided to quit kind helped. first week is the hardest. the bodys addiction to nicotine usually breaks after 4-5 days.

Whats hard is reprogramming yourself. After eating or after work smoking is the hardest to break as it happens all the time. Not too bad for me this time around.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Whats hard is reprogramming yourself. After eating or after work smoking is the hardest to break as it happens all the time. Not too bad for me this time around.

I agree with that statement - the reprogramming took just about two weeks for me and happened organically. Eventually I just stopped thinking about it.

I likened it to basically learning to do anything new. For example, I remember when I first learned to drive a stick shift years ago. During the first couple of weeks every time I drove I would consciously think about shifting gears; first, second, third, neutral roll to a stop, etc. Eventually I realized I just didn't have to think about it anymore. Kind of like not smoking, I just don't think about "not" doing it anymore, I just don't do it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I chew a can every couple days or so. I probably need to stop.... maybe next year. Lol

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
1 year for me and I still have the urge after a big meal and I was a very light smoker. I guess everyone's different.

I quit in 2012 and really only miss it now when I drink lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My dad smoked unfiltered Luckys until he was 60. Quit cold turkey without a hiccup. I smoked for a summer when I was 20. Now I'm 31, I'm single after almost a decade, for about the past year I smoke with people who smoke, usually when drinking. Occasionally by myself. But I don't think about it, never get an urge.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Been dip free for a few months now. I think it was harder to quit than smoking. That Zonnic gum they sell at convenience stores has helped immensely.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Aug 7 is my anniversary, Working on year 6
After a pack a day for 25 years.
Started at 16. Stress from parents divorce was part of me starting. My dad was a long time smoker which made me think it was OK.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
Best of luck to anyone who quits. Watching my Grandfather suffer and die from lung cancer when I was 12 put any idea of me smoking out of my mind. He was a pack a day guy and died at the age of 62 in 2001. Looked like a bad way to go out. Right after that, my other Grandfather (Mom's father) quit cold turkey after smoking his whole life. I guess he decided dying like that wasn't for him either, now he is 82 and pretty healthy other than some back problems.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Aug 7 is my anniversary, Working on year 6
After a pack a day for 25 years.
Started at 16. Stress from parents divorce was part of me starting. My dad was a long time smoker which made me think it was OK.

Good for you man and not a bad anniversary date (August 7th happens to be my birthday, yes i accept gifts from strangers).

Best of luck to anyone who quits. Watching my Grandfather suffer and die from lung cancer when I was 12 put any idea of me smoking out of my mind. He was a pack a day guy and died at the age of 62 in 2001. Looked like a bad way to go out. Right after that, my other Grandfather (Mom's father) quit cold turkey after smoking his whole life. I guess he decided dying like that wasn't for him either, now he is 82 and pretty healthy other than some back problems.

That's pretty much what kick started this whole thing for me. I heard for the last few months about the constant pain & agony that my step-dad's cousin went through. They were very close and I saw the emotional toll it took on my step-dad as well as my mom. I don't want to put my family through that because I chose to smoke.

On another note, I had a dream last night that I smoked a cig. I woke up hating myself and then was relieved that it was just a dream. This happened a couple of weeks ago too.

Users who are viewing this thread