Fixing a bird bomb blemish

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brady, read this thread from a forum. I was searching for paint issue photos like were close to yours, and I found this one. I'm more posting it for how an issue like this is addressed, vs. positively identifying what it is. Some think it's from bird droppings that stayed on the paint too long. Others think it is paint crazing. I lean towards paint crazing myself. But it could be bird crap etching.

Here's a photo from that link.
dsc_0014-jpg.175315

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm wondering the same thing as Bob, can you feel it on the paint?
Brady, send Scott a message and ask him to come in for his input. By the way, is that area smooth to the touch, or can you feel something is on the paint.
Thanks for the info Bob. I can't feel it on the paint. It's smooth to the touch. I'll contact Scott.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I responded to his PM. Basically saying the same thing as the article that was linked here said. Clear is failing or it's crazing/checking.

And again, sorry to have had to break that news to you.

Scott

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I responded to his PM. Basically saying the same thing as the article that was linked here said. Clear is failing or it's crazing/checking.

Scott

There's no way to diminish it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Scott
Thanks for popping in, Scott. We all value your expertise in this area.

Man, Brady, so sorry that the paint looks to be an issue now. I'm sure that's not an expense that you had in your plans. :(

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for popping in, Scott. We all value your expertise in this area.

Man, Brady, so sorry that the paint looks to be an issue now. I'm sure that's not an expense that you had in your plans. :(
It's fine. Nothing I'm going to worry about too much. I'll leave it be for now. I'd rather keep it original.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Bob, nope, nothing can be done to it except keep it protected.

I agree, I'd want to keep it original as well. And like I told Bdubbs, it's not like those areas are horrible and ruining the car or anything. IMO, perfectly acceptable to have that with OE paint on it.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I know Brady doesn't want/need to fix this but what if he did. Could that be fixed by lightly sanding the clear of lets say just the hood or maybe the whole car and re clearing it?
Just wandering how someone would correct their paint if the buffed/sanded through the clear coat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, nope, nothing can be done to it except keep it protected.

I agree, I'd want to keep it original as well. And like I told Bdubbs, it's not like those areas are horrible and ruining the car or anything. IMO, perfectly acceptable to have that with OE paint on it.
Yeah, the more I read the last few posts, the more I'd just absolutely leave it alone. I wouldn't do anything except regular washing and cleaning.

@oldstv, it would appear that an attempt to fix it would be expensive. And, the patina is then lost. Some collectors prefer original paint, even with it imperfections.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree Bob, I wasn't thinking about Brady's car. I was thinking about any car that the clear might have been damaged by some means. This is always going through my mind when I do a paint correction. What if I go too far

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
^^^You would generally have to re-spray/clear that panel. I've seen a few people attempt to spot repair/paint/clear an area where they burnt thru, but it never turns out well-not good 'adhesion' for the new paint/clear and it usually will fail, and looks bad.

Users who are viewing this thread