FL shop employee destroys BMW on joyride

JasonSnake

Established Member
... and the shop is not willing to compensate the owner.

article with video: Repair shop employee wrecked customer's BMW on joyride, police say | Brevard County News - WESH Home

MELBOURNE, Fla. —An employee at a car repair shop in Melbourne admitted to taking a customer's BMW for a joyride and wrecking it, but that's not illegal, police say.

RELATED

It all began when Chad Henson took his 2003 BMW to Cypress Automotive and Transmission for some minor work.

Watch this report from WESH 2's Dan Billow

But someone drove the car away from the repair shop -- a long way away. Florida Highway Patrol reports the car was involved in an accident in Orlando at 2:30 a.m. on Jan. 8, and then at 4:17 a.m. the same morning in St. Cloud.

Beck called the repair shop owner.

"He proceeds to tell me that it wasn't the owner but one of his employees that wrecked it," he said.

Police confirm the driver was an employee of the repair shop, and they said it's not illegal for a repair shop employee to drive a customer's car.

Top video: Caught on camera: Texting driver crashes, flips car

If it gets wrecked, the car owner can sue.

"They gave (their employee) permission to take my car across the state of Florida and total it and not give it back to me. And in the meantime, I'm out a $7,000 BMW, and they told me tough luck," said Beck.

WESH 2 News was unable to reach the shop owner, and minutes after reporter Dan Billow arrived at the shop, the gates were lowered and the shop was closed.

Jack's Wrecker Service towed the car and says it will try to help Beck, but there's only so much they can do.

While it is not illegal for a car shop to wreck a customer's car, they do have to be properly insured and licensed, but that is also a matter for the civil, not criminal courts, to decide.

Read more: Repair shop employee wrecked customer's BMW on joyride, police say | Brevard County News - WESH Home

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i'm glad i deal with places where i trust every single person working there!!!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Exactly why I'll never leave nor will ever leave my car anywhere. Had paint work done awhile ago and took the panels off to be sprayed.

I buddy of mine who's a service writer for Dodge told me a story of an associate at his dealer that took a customer's Black Mamba Viper for a spin before pulling it in for an oil change. The car never made it, instead he wrapped it around a phone pole. It's an ultra rare example that couldn't be replaced, unless they found one used somewhere. In that situation a check isn't enough!

CowlHood

Established Member
This is insane!!! So many dealers screwing everyone over!! Why i do most of my cars work on my ****ing own!!!!!!!!!! And my favorite about dealers is there $300+ fee just for being aloud the privilege of buying a used/as is car from them...

Spudz

Established Member
Well crap, this one hit close to home. Live right around the corner from this place.

Rosoo

Established Member
How is it possible for them to actually say tough shit??

Good question. The shop is clearly liable for the damage to the car and the value of the car. It's not their job to compensate the man for more than his car was worth, same with the Camaro issue, but that's life.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
Exactly why I'll never leave nor will ever leave my car anywhere. Had paint work done awhile ago and took the panels off to be sprayed.

I buddy of mine who's a service writer for Dodge told me a story of an associate at his dealer that took a customer's Black Mamba Viper for a spin before pulling it in for an oil change. The car never made it, instead he wrapped it around a phone pole. It's an ultra rare example that couldn't be replaced, unless they found one used somewhere. In that situation a check isn't enough!

i really can't stress enough the value of a good dealer, auto tech, painter, etc.! this shit has happened over and over, yet people still take their cars to places that don't give two nickles about them. :shrug:

same shit happens in other industries too... the gun business is full of idiots that have no clue.

03 deadpool

Established Member
This seems to be a more common problem now, you here about this alot. Recently i read about a jeep dealer whos detailing people took a customers jeep renegade out offroading and flipped it over in a puddle. They said they were going to clean it when done. The dealer is working with the people but no good agreement has been reached.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
This seems to be a more common problem now, you here about this alot. Recently i read about a jeep dealer whos detailing people took a customers jeep renegade out offroading and flipped it over in a puddle. They said they were going to clean it when done. The dealer is working with the people but no good agreement has been reached.

link to story?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Unfortunately its not illegal and not theft, you are leaving the car with someone else. Thats basically consent to drive your car unless you get a contract beforehand that says they will not drive it anywhere beyond what is required for a test drive after repairs. Now what this is, is a civil matter. The shop or its insurance company, should be responsible for it. The owner of the vehicle Im sure had insurance too. Basically, just lawyer up and sue the shit out of the shop and the employee personally.

p.s. the guy who drove the car deserves a thorough ass kicking.

Users who are viewing this thread