Florida Highway Patrol gets serious

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
FHP is getting 18 new Marauders, all undercover to combat aggressive drivers.
No markings, no lights, regular tags, tinted windows. If you are in Florida, better mind your manners!!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tall...al/10356844.htm

links not working so here's the article:
Posted on Tue, Dec. 07, 2004

FHP to use stealth cars to curb aggressive drivers

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida Highway Patrol has unveiled its newest weapon in cracking down on aggressive driving: 18 unmarked "stealth" cars ready to pursue speeders across the state.

The high-performance Mercury Marauders are completely unmarked, complete with regular-issue license plates. Their police lights are hidden behind the front grilles and their windows are tinted, obscuring the uniformed trooper inside.

FHP chief Col. Chris Knight said aggressive drivers "are turning our highways into high-risk arenas." The department gets more complaints about aggressive driving - drivers who commit two or more moving violations simultaneously, such as speeding and weaving in and out of traffic - than any other subject.

From July 1, 2003, to June 30, 2004, there were nearly 8,800 citations for aggressive driving statewide.

During a pilot program using three Marauders in Broward and Palm Beach counties through Oct. 31, the department issued more than 700 citations.

Broward Trooper Gary Slayton, who has been in a pilot project with the Marauder, said even in heavy traffic "we are seeing drivers running 100, 110 miles an hour."

The vehicles were donated by a benefactor who wants to remain anonymous, FHP spokesman Maj. Ernesto Duarte said.

Assigning 18 troopers to the job is "the largest effort at combating aggressive driving in the Florida Highway Patrol's history," said Kevin Guidry, an FHP bureau chief in charge of the program.

The cars are equipped with high-definition digital video and an infrared camera, backing up troopers when they confront aggressive drivers.

"When you have the camera, they can't dispute it," said FHP Trooper Mike Transue.

Last edited:

bsmith9165

Established Member
Yeah they have been doing that for quite some time in WA but it is usually cars that were seized during drug raids. WA State Patrol has Volvos, Acura NSX, Tahoes etc.....

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Boyton Beach has a Undercover Zinc Yellow 03' that is actually mod'd. Also, the FHP has a Q400 from Steeda. To me it is like a double edged sword, I dont see why they need fast cars to "control" people, if you get behind me with your lights on, I will pull over regaurdless, they dont need to chase me down :coolman:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Slider said:
So is that what they use too pull over pedestrians?

J/K :rolling:

It's used to ticket the handicapped. Can't keep up with folks in a full stride.

White04Cobra

Established Member
The problem is that if one of these FHP hot dogs makes a U turn to come after you loses it and hits a tree you get charged with murder.

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/Memorial/Haywood/NewsArticles.htm#ah

Its not the polices fault though, its the state government here keeping up the Bush tradition of eroding your rights and personal liberties.

The initial call to police described the car as a red Porsche 911, but investigators say subsequent interviews with witnesses at the accident site on Interstate 4 in Volusia County suggest that the Porsche is probably a color closer to black than red. Well that clears it up doesnt it.

Last edited:

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
That article states that officer was the second to die in a pursuit car that year.

In this specific incident the tire came apart, causing the crash. If these guys cross the mall several times daily, cruise in the breakdown lane clocking traffic a half mile ahead (I have personally seen them do this in an effort to disguise themselves from their "perpetrator") collecting road debris in their tires, and jump curbs...do they really expect the tire carcasses to hold up to that? If your job involves traveling at speeds over 100 mph daily, you'd better check your car out like pre-flight in an aircraft every morning. If you don't know how, find someone who does.

IOW, tires DO give warning impending catastrophic failure.

Hye

Established Member
I find it just wrong....that these counties/states are patrolling in expensive sports cars! I mean c'mon, what ever happened to the days where you got in your crown victoria or caprice and never looked back!

If your a highway patrol, do you REALLY need a Cobra or NSX? thats bullshit

XxColdAzFireXx

Boosted SVT Poster
Established Member
The Marauders were donated! That's a hell of a tax right off. You're talking nearly 3/4 of a million dollars. As far as some of these more exotic vehicles, usually they are seizures they get from arrests, raids, and other assorted fun stuff. Those Marauders are quick, my mom owns one (not FHP) and it's quick for a 4400 lbs car. I believe that Miami-Dade county has a Neon Green Civic in their police force. Talking about getting smoked by a ricer. Really nice cars, really sux if you get pulled over by someone driver what some people consider a grandma car. and those are some d@mn lucky officers who get those specialty cars.

Robert

Tomjh99

Established Member
I am in Albuquerque, NM, last summer the Bernalilio Sheriff's Dept, was issued Mach 1's. I am not sure how many. I once had the chance to speak to the Sheriff Darrren White at my last College Republican meeting why the force needs these high performance cars. He said for high speed chases. and to catch up to street racers that fly by parked cops doing 100 +. I then asked him how many years he has been wih the force and he says 20 + years or somthing like that. I continued to ask him how many times he has been in high speed pursuit. Only a few he says. So I would argue that the cost for maint. ect, does not justify the cars being useful a few times a year. Just my opinion, BTW to the Mach's take the premium feul also. If so I can't imagine the gas expense for cruising that many miles a day.

Lawman85

Banned
Tomjh99 said:
I am in Albuquerque, NM, last summer the Bernalilio Sheriff's Dept, was issued Mach 1's. I am not sure how many. I once had the chance to speak to the Sheriff Darrren White at my last College Republican meeting why the force needs these high performance cars. He said for high speed chases. and to catch up to street racers that fly by parked cops doing 100 +. I then asked him how many years he has been wih the force and he says 20 + years or somthing like that. I continued to ask him how many times he has been in high speed pursuit. Only a few he says. So I would argue that the cost for maint. ect, does not justify the cars being useful a few times a year. Just my opinion, BTW to the Mach's take the premium feul also. If so I can't imagine the gas expense for cruising that many miles a day.

Cars like that have a specific purpose. Here is a scenerio for you. If your sitting on the side of the road using stationary radar, and a car goes by you at 85 mph, how long will it take you to catch him from your dead stop? In cars such as Camaros and Mustangs you have faster acceleration and therefore, greater closing speed. The Camaros can catch up to someone in almost half the time as the Crown Vic. That actually makes it a little safer, vs. chasing the guy for 3 miles because your car can't accelerate fast enough to overtake him. More food for thought: If someone passes me at 85mph and I'm sitting still, I will have to accelerate to over 100mph just to reel him in. The faster I can get to that speed, obviously, the faster I can catch him.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
They also have an 02 Red Focus SVT.

Oh wait a minute, that is me:uh oh:
and in daytona fla sector, Z28 and stangs as well.

SVTCOUPLE

Established Member
Ok I have a question, around here there are carjackers that drive around with lights on their cars trying to pull people over and jack them. If an unmarked, untagged cop tries to pull someone over then just what the hell are they supposed to do ? There was a woman beaten and raped by a scumbag in an unmarked car with lights just last week. If you stop you have no way of telling if it's a cop or not, if you drive to the closest marked car or station you get busted for evading ?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You signal and acknowledge the officer by putting your flashers on and drive to a very public well lit area. The officer will have no problem with that. Also you can call 9-11 and tell them you are being pulled over by what looks like an unmarked car, would they please send a marked vehicle to the scene as well.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
i thought the law in fla. is that an unmarked unit has to radio a marked unit to be able to make a stop due to as was already stated people impersonating officers?

Users who are viewing this thread