Followed for no reason. Complained. Following evening pulled over.

skratpiece

Established Member
I was followed, followed repeatedly then after complaining I was harassed and pulled over for a bogus reason. Only then was it discovered that I had no registration. So to say that I deserved getting pulled over ticketed and towed for no registration is MORONIC. The question is what gives police the right to harass me like this. This is ass backwards police work. BOTTOM LINE.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Seems that most people that have read this want to twist the story and ignore the facts. Yes my car was unregistered. It was unregistered the first 2 times i was followed, and the cop never threw the lights on. So why are you following me???? Just as the officer has the right to follow me, I have the right to question it. Following me once and running my info is called patrolling. Following me a second time, with no reason begins to become harassment. Don't they have something important to do than follow a car around and aggravate perfectly law abiding citizens? Now, I'm sure someone here will say "well, you're not a law abiding citizen with an expired registration". Then I ask, why was I not pullled over for this the first 2 times, but continued to be followed and when I complain of being followed for no reason subsequently harassed and ticketed the next evening.

But you're not a law abiding citizen. You just admitted that your car was unregistered two nights in a row. Maybe the first night he knew you saw him following you, thought maybe you'd get a clue and check things out, and get your car re-registered. Second night, he saw you didn't, so you got stopped. Or maybe the first night, the police dept's computers, or DMV's server was out of service.
Point is, an officer has every legal/moral right to follow any vehicle on any public roadway. In fact, he gets paid to do that. And I am willing to bet that at that time of night in the winter, there's probably not a whole lot of cars to choose from.
And exactly how did the officer harrass you? Did he call you belittling names? Did he cuss at you?

Ratchet

Established Member
I was followed, followed repeatedly then after complaining I was harassed and pulled over for a bogus reason. Only then was it discovered that I had no registration. So to say that I deserved getting pulled over ticketed and towed for no registration is MORONIC. The question is what gives police the right to harass me like this. This is ass backwards police work. BOTTOM LINE.
Fact is you were driving around without insurance and somehow got lucky enough to get away with it the first time, probably due to the bad economy and shit ain't cheap, so they were more than likely cutting you a break and figuring we have better shit to do than ticket this poor guy. Now instead of figuring that you were lucky to get away with it and figure you should stop driving illegally you push your luck. You go out driving around illegally again and when you get pulled over you complain about it. Now to a normal person, continually driving around without tags is MORONIC, and then complaining about it when you get pulled over and you are obvs in the wrong is MORONIC. IMO your way of thinking is ass backwards. BOTTOM LINE.

Have a nice day. :beer:

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member

What was the bogus reason? Are you saying that as you approached the stopped police car at the intersection in front of you that you weren't speeding? Not even 1mph over the posted limit?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I'm not saying the officer did anything wrong. Please don't take my statement as saying that. All I am saying is that I have never heard of towing a car car for expired registration. Insurance is a little different as that pertains to his liability to OTHER motorists.

My point being is that in 13 years, I haven't towed for ONLY expired registration, and can't say that I know any officers here that have. Maybe it is different up there than it is down here.

When I first started in the business here in CA, the rule was no towing until the registration was a year and a day expired; now I believe it is 6 months and you can take the car. I would think every state has some amount of grace period, but I can only speak for Ca dmv rules.

I have stopped (and towed) cars for nothing more than the expired registration, but in most cases the PC allows your investigation to uncover other violations and/or criminal activity.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
When I was younger, driving my built '57 Chevy and/or my built '65 Goat (geez, I wish I had that Goat again), that happened to me on several occasions and I was totally being in compliance. It IS rather nerve racking. On one occasion, there was about a 1 mile stretch going to/from college where the speed limit was 25. I had two officers in an LAPD cruiser RIGHT on my rear. After about 1/2 mile, I pulled over to the curb as if I was stopping. They went on. A few minutes later I pulled out. They were obviously watching and then THEY pulled over to wait for me and followed me another 3-4 miles. When I pulled into the bank, where I had some business to attend to, they pulled up right next to me, got out and kind of surrounded me and asked why I had pulled over. I asked them why do you think I pulled over when they were right on my rear. They really couldn't say much, except that I acted suspiciously by pulling over, and so, after checking license and registration, they left.

I agree with the OP - it's NOT fun to be tracked so closely for so long for no particular reason. My Goat was NOT loud; I kept it quiet/sleeper like. But my registration and license was totally in order.

This happened to me at least 3-4 times when I was young and only one stop was the cop other than professional in his speech/demeanor. But, again, it is NOT comfortable to be followed for so long for no real reason - at least to me as I was not speeding, revving or doing something totally stupid to attact their attention.

Other than those days many moons ago, it has not happend. And, yes, I do appreciate the job they are doing but, like any other profession, there are mostly good but a few bad apples, too. I retired from ATF and the same applies there - mostly good people but there are a few of them that should not be on the job.

Nuf said!!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
So, it's late and you go to your "favorite restaurant/bar" and don't know why they followed you afterwards? Not to mention that you didn't have the car registered. Then you call the department to ask why he followed you? Now you don't understand why you got pulled over the next night?
I think we have already discovered the problem here......

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
He stopped at an intersection up ahead of me, waited for me to drive by him, began to follow me and pulled me over. When I asked him why I was being pulled over, he replied "Speeding". I complied and gave the officer my license number and explained to him that I had forgotten my registration in another vehicle. He came back to the vehicle and informed me that my registration was expired, although two days prior I had seen a copy of my registration that showed valid until 12/31/2012. At this point he explained that he was going to be having my vehicle towed. I expressed to him that I felt as though I had done nothing outside of the limit of the law, and that my registration should be active but he maintained that I had been pulled over for speeding, and now with an expired registration I was being towed.

Seems that most people that have read this want to twist the story and ignore the facts. Yes my car was unregistered. It was unregistered the first 2 times i was followed, and the cop never threw the lights on. So why are you following me???? Just as the officer has the right to follow me, I have the right to question it. Following me once and running my info is called patrolling. Following me a second time, with no reason begins to become harassment. Don't they have something important to do than follow a car around and aggravate perfectly law abiding citizens? Now, I'm sure someone here will say "well, you're not a law abiding citizen with an expired registration". Then I ask, why was I not pullled over for this the first 2 times, but continued to be followed and when I complain of being followed for no reason subsequently harassed and ticketed the next evening.

Which is it OP?

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
That is actually true.

Years back a buddy and I were out cruising. He had a 93 notch back with a DSS stroker and a t-trim blower. The car was loud and nasty.

Anyway, as we merged off the interstate we noticed FHP behind us in one of the Z28's they used to drive. He proceeded to follow us halfway across town, until finally he pulled up next to us at a light. I kid you not, this guy looks over and starts reving the crap out of his car. My friend and I looked at each other and exchanged the most confusing look possible. My buddy looks back at the trooper and starts reving back. I looked at my buddy and said, ''don't you even try it dumba**'' Well the light turns green and the trooper nails it, and so does my buddy. Both cars only stayed in it for a split second, we never even hit 40 mph. Then the trooper drifts back behind us and throws his lights on, buddy turned ghost white as we pulled into a drug store parking lot. Trooper gets out comes up to the window and screams ''GET OUT OF THE CAR NOW WITH YOUR HANDS UP'', my buddy goes to reach for the handle and the trooper say's ''nah man, I'm just playing, I'm on my way home, man this is a bada** car'' All three of us sat in the lot for almost an hour shooting the **it about cars.

The trooper had a nice built mustang himself and we all ended up being pretty good friends for a few years, until he was switched to a different troop up in North Florida. He'd bring his car out on Saturday nights up town with us and even swing out in his state car now and then.

You just never know.

LMFAO!!! That is some funny shit!! Straight out of Super Troopers! lolol

skratpiece

Established Member
Some of you have difficulty with your comprehension skills. I was followed initially, followed repeatedly, and then and only then was an expired registration discovered. The officer sped up ahead of me, threw on his lights and sat on the side of the road waiting for me to pass. I was not speeding. Why was I pulled over at all? Anyone answer that one? Yet, many people that have commented here continue to insist that the officer has the right to pull me over make up a speeding violation, and then subsequently bust me for no reg. WRONG. This is called RETALLIATION for having called and complained about following me repeatedly to begin with. Thanks for your ignorant criticisms. I'll let you know what a judge says and I'll let you guys know how much money I get when I sue the department for harassment. Keep thinking the way you do. Have fun.

Ratchet

Established Member
Some of you have difficulty with your comprehension skills. I was followed initially, followed repeatedly, and then and only then was an expired registration discovered. The officer sped up ahead of me, threw on his lights and sat on the side of the road waiting for me to pass. I was not speeding. Why was I pulled over at all? Anyone answer that one? Yet, many people that have commented here continue to insist that the officer has the right to pull me over make up a speeding violation, and then subsequently bust me for no reg. WRONG. This is called RETALLIATION for having called and complained about following me repeatedly to begin with. Thanks for your ignorant criticisms. I'll let you know what a judge says and I'll let you guys know how much money I get when I sue the department for harassment. Keep thinking the way you do. Have fun.
I lol'd :poke::dancenana:

silver03svt

Established Member

First of all, you have no clue when it was realized by the officer that your registration was expired. You say when you THINK it was discovered. Officer could've run your tag the first night and not gotten the information back timely, or the DMV server could've been down or any other number of reasons. He may have noticed on night #2 that it was you again. And who's to say you weren't speeding? You haven't denied that anywhere that I can see. Again, following you on a public roadway IS NOT harrassment, contrary to what you might think. Retaliation by the officer? Not my call. That's the boat you got your own self into.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Wow, who did you piss off? You must have stuck your head above the radar at some point in time. We Troopers would have not towed for that either.
Following you around is not harassment unless it were to continue on a daily basis. I guess at some point in time your going to have to call it.

Users who are viewing this thread