For the Guys who run a 4L + blower

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Lines i can see yes. I run 7/8 on my setup for that reason.
For a test you could use stock lines , then put bigger lines on and see the flow difference.
The inner cooler it’s self can only flow so much..
I’m running the 7 gallon tank and rule 2000 internal pump, I’ll be buying the big gun intercooler, I’d like to flow test it compared to the stock one
I'll post more later but that rule pump isn't the best choice for your application and small stock lines.
-J

StangsfeverFOX

Established Member
I'm not running stock lines, but my 90-110 aits are saying it's working... with ice of course

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
So do you have a test from before ? I’m at 90-110 with a kb 4.2 ..
Id like to see the testing done that shows inlet/outlet are bottle necks, with the Lightning’s the gains where minimal .. I’m not doubting the mod works , I’m doubting the fact people think it’s gonna drop the aits 20+ degrees. Or they say i dropped 30 degrees but i also did big line, trunk mount tank,big pump etc..

The DOB Spec R comes standard with 1.25" inlet/outlet. Jason, the owner of DOB, has quite a bit posted on his website. He isn't a vendor on here, so I will leave it at that.

He was going to offer the Terminator guys the spec r manifold, but the numbers just didn't justify the expense of development. A shame, 2.3 and bigger guys would have loved it.

StangsfeverFOX

Established Member
I will definitely have to check them out , 1.25 id think will definitely see some sort of gain, I was talking about the other cooler kit which only pumps it up slightly in size, regardless I'll look I didn't know they messed with anything but there adapter manifolds for 3vs lol

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I should have clarified spec r is 3V. He does have coyote and GT500 in development.

I mentioned how well 1.25" performs because there are companies out there modifying intercoolers for guys and as big as you can get is a benefit when teamed with lines, pump and heat exchanger.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not running stock lines, but my 90-110 aits are saying it's working... with ice of course
Sorry had to shut it down before I could finish but several tests have shown the rule pumps fall off HARD with any restriction. I hear ya on it still working, and I run a Rule in my drag LX, but even with upgraded lines, the restrictions at the factory intercooler are really tight and kill the system flow with a Rule/bilge style pump.
Obviously with a large ice tank with up sized lines it's still working, but a high pressure pump like the stock '13-14 unit would outperform a Rule in your current system.
BTW, I run a KB Bigun and extensive lower intake cut/welding and your combo would really like it.
Any pics?
-J

StangsfeverFOX

Established Member
You notice a difference with big gun? I’m ready to buy it but i wanna know if it’s actually worth it , since I’m really not having problems now i didn’t wanna throw money at something that isn’t gonna do anything for me

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You notice a difference with big gun? I’m ready to buy it but i wanna know if it’s actually worth it , since I’m really not having problems now i didn’t wanna throw money at something that isn’t gonna do anything for me
Can't give you back to back testing, as I upgraded during the rebuild but I've seen it in person and combined with the intake cut/Weld (probably as or more important--look for pics) it's a huge flow upgrade. I think it's part of the abnormally high results with mine on 2.3L and I can't imagine on a 4L car. It's winter, what else you gotta do? :)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cutting the bypass wall and welding a plate to cover bypass, plus the larger surface area and flow of the cooler makes the combo much more efficient.
I felt it was worth it. Good luck.
-J

Fast Willy

Established Member
Great info guys. Weather Man I am on Jason's list now for the GT500 unit. He actually stated it should flow significantly better than your R once all said and done.

Complete design from the ground up not just a cut a welded piece utilizing every inch of space.

The only down side is he said hes about a year or so out on the GT500 stuff at the moment but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately I've heard that for 2 years on the GT500. Cut/weld a stock lower with Bigun cooler best we got now.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
He seriously underestimated how popular his kits would be in 2017.
I agree and I've talked to him as he's local (we're going to hook up and test a few things on my 2014 before I blew up the oil pump gears). I agree with a support what he's doing. Still, as we all have lower intakes and easy upgrades to cooler bricks (not counting the '13-14 stock upgrade), the gains we can make with existing parts and a rear ice tank make sense now instead of a $3500+ solution that may not come.
Looking forward to seeing what HOB eventually makes, please let us know if you get one.
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
Unfortunately I've heard that for 2 years on the GT500. Cut/weld a stock lower with Bigun cooler best we got now.
-J

I agree and I've talked to him as he's local (we're going to hook up and test a few things on my 2014 before I blew up the oil pump gears). I agree with a support what he's doing. Still, as we all have lower intakes and easy upgrades to cooler bricks (not counting the '13-14 stock upgrade), the gains we can make with existing parts and a rear ice tank make sense now instead of a $3500+ solution that may not come.
Looking forward to seeing what HOB eventually makes, please let us know if you get one.
-J
J

You aren't the only one that got tired of waiting for this product. I talked with him at least 2 years ago about his idea for a new intake manifold for the GT500s. I finally got tired of waiting to see what would be produced. I had my stock manifold modified for no engine coolant passages through it, phenolic spacers between the cylinder heads and intake manifold to stop heat conduction from the engine into the manifold. The coolant flow through the BIGGUN Intercooler was modified to a single pass. The coolant enters at the rear of the manifold with a -16 hose and exits the front with 2 -12 hoses to the HE. The water pump is a Meziere 55GPM mounted to the trunk tank The return line from the HE to the tank will be a -16. I plan on running coolant and I never plan on adding ice to the system. With the tank, line, HE and Intercooler it will have approximately 12 gallons of coolant in the complete system to hopefully lower IAT2 significantly, plus the modifications for airflow . There is also a spacer between the lower intake and the lower cover plate to gain room for higher airflow exiting the IC to the intake ports of the cylinder heads. I believe as far as the stock manifold goes there isn't anymore mods to be done to increase airflow or reduce temps than what I've done. At some point DOB may have an item to sell in the future, but by then a lot of interest in it will probably have died.

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Kurt_GT500_IC_Tank_28.jpg

Kurt_GT500_IC_Tank_12.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 95

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Now THAT is serious!
Impressive buddy looking forward to seeing you get to enjoy all the hard work.
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
Yeah, unfortunately it comes with very serious cost too LOL

It won't be done this year. I've lost a lot of interest in this car in the last year or so with a lot of other things happening in life to occupy my free time.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The input/output on the intercooler has always been the bottleneck, not the intercooler.

This is my car on the dyno this past summer at 735 RWHP. All my hose and fittings are 1.25" The car is fully warmed up with a couple of small hits before the main pull verifying a/f down low. No ice, just water with 2 bottles of water wetter. Went to a smaller pulley and high temp was 112F at 26 psi and 835 RWHP.

View attachment 1448353

26 psi is pretty steep for any engine especially for a big bore mod motor. Is that what you are currently running now? Not much sealing land between the bores makes that a pretty risky endeavor.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
26 psi is pretty steep for any engine especially for a big bore mod motor. Is that what you are currently running now? Not much sealing land between the bores makes that a pretty risky endeavor.

No, I backed it down to 19 psi for the street. I also picked the wrong cams (long story), so car is at DB Performance now waiting to have the cams swapped out.

SlowSVT

Established Member
No, I backed it down to 19 psi for the street. I also picked the wrong cams (long story), so car is at DB Performance now waiting to have the cams swapped out.

Smart move

A high output supercharged engine will show no mercy even with a momentary lean condition and would bring me to tears scoring an aluminum cylinder. I would be very conservative with a Trinity engine which makes gobs of power right out of the box. An iron sleeved late model 5.4 would be a better candidate for an engine you want to throw the kitchen sink at!

That sucks about the cams that's a huge hit to the wallet. Take care of your GT500 it may be the last one Ford produces.

Users who are viewing this thread