For those of you with school age children...be patient....

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You know, I’m an old school IBEW Union man... took a non union job a few years ago... I would prefer we unionized and I can tell you I have a hunch it’s not the school boards...

I’d bet good money it’s the Teacher’s Unions holding up reopening.

100%

But that is a lot different than "lawsuits from sick children". It's definitely not that.

Hef

Established Member
My wife has already ordered my sons curriculum for home schooling. He will have some books and the rest is streaming and all credits will count. Hes pretty advanced so maybe he may be able to really benefit from this as far as getting ahead but my worry is he's 14......we all know how teenagers know everything and their mouths like to run. I may be in the principles office.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
How can schools have sports opening, teachers and faculty in school yet no students? Out here the elementary was going with a European model that sounded quite sane and reasonable but on the 11th hour the district changed its mind again. The school is the most sound place for these children.

If "safety" is the main concern then I would expect consistency across the board.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My GF said her kids’ school in NM is an absolute joke.

Tablet doesn’t have the needed apps. Can’t download anything because it’s protected.

Asked her to send the serial number so they could see which tablet they gave her. So what...the schools isn’t even tracking who got issued what tablet?

Started a week late...still don’t even have a full days schedule. Don’t know what they are doing from one day to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Why do students need school purchased tablets to learn?

my mother is an administrator at a local high school and my sister is a teacher. the union sent surveys to the teachers about going back. the teachers overwhelmingly voted to "stay safe at home". they also refused to go to the EMPTY classroom to teach from there. the district said they have better internet and more resources. teachers said nope, im good at home in my pjs. they also refused to work their normal 8-3 schedule that the district wanted to do. how many of you, working from home, can tell your boss you want your normal salary but only want to work 60-70% of your work schedule? lol. now they are only teaching 4 days a week. from 9-2. and no homework.
good thing is they are online with the kids via zoom all day now. unlike last semester where they would zoom for an hour or so, two days a week. at least my kids elementary school is. they also have a bunch of good apps up and running to use for class. the main LAUSD program, "schoolology" was overwhelmed yesterday and not working well. but everything else is.

its not better than in class learning though. one good thing though is im right here to smack him upside the head when he's not on task. instead of getting notes constantly from the teacher about him goofing off and being distracted etc... :confused: his teacher last year worked great with them. his new teacher (3rd grade) seems to be going a little crazy trying to keep order. im sitting here on my chromebook, 15 feet away, listening to her constantly scolding kids. she's been teaching for 28 years and is supposed to be one of the best (teaches gifted kids)

there are teachers who want to go back to in class teaching. like my mothers good friend who teaches honors english does. but it seems the majority are happy getting paid to chill at home and put in less work. some even argued about not being allowed to wear PJs while teaching. smh. one dumbass guy got in trouble for teaching while shirtless. (so i heard)

UTLA demanded to defund the school police. supposedly they didnt even ask their members. they just said it on their own. and they got what they wanted. LAUSD already sliced off a big chunk of the school police budget. the next day the chief resigned. supposedly they are only patrolling during the day time now. there has already been a ton of burglaries and vandalism at the schools. doh! wait till the next gang fight or school shooting. or kid who attacks a teacher and refuses to comply. send in the 5' tall overweight 60 year old counselor lady to bring him to the office lol.

LAUSD board are giant idiots but the union is to blame as well. i cant imagine how many parents in LA are ****ed right now because their kids are at home and both parents have to GO to work. imagine you wand your wife both work like dogs to be able to afford the stupid expensive rent and now your three kids have to be home all day and you have no friends or family in the area to help. people are pissed. of course the politicians tell them its trumps fault. we wouldnt be in this situation if he had done what he should have (which is??). lol.

and the teacher chatter on FB is that they think/hope the schools will be shut down all year or "until there is a cure". i said to my mom/sister, you know there may never be a vaccine right?
Wow, too much there to dissect it all.
Teachers normal schedule is more like 7-5. Ive known many that are 6-5 and 8-11.
Teaching at home is tough. You've got those who don't have funds for computers and stuff let alone multiple for brothers and sisters that have their teacher meetings at the same time. The teacher can't see the work as the student is trying and its hard for the students to see the examples the teacher is showing. Its best for the teacher to be recording her work on video(like an overhead elmo) and then voice over the instructions.
The other issue is the students turning in their work remotely. You have students and parents saying the work is done and they put hours into it, but its no where to be found online.

I would choose one of the following if I was in charge:
In person schools
Online schools where Teachers send in lessons and examples, parents work with their kids, then grade their work.(Teachers get half pay only)
Home schooling

I did my masters online. It was great, forum discussion 2 a week per class. Then complete and turn in assignments each week. Too bad elementary kids do not learn like this.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Why do students need school purchased tablets to learn?

Wow, too much there to dissect it all.
Teachers normal schedule is more like 7-5. Ive known many that are 6-5 and 8-11.
Teaching at home is tough. You've got those who don't have funds for computers and stuff let alone multiple for brothers and sisters that have their teacher meetings at the same time. The teacher can't see the work as the student is trying and its hard for the students to see the examples the teacher is showing. Its best for the teacher to be recording her work on video(like an overhead elmo) and then voice over the instructions.
The other issue is the students turning in their work remotely. You have students and parents saying the work is done and they put hours into it, but its no where to be found online.

In person schools
Online schools where Teachers send in lessons and examples, parents work with their kids, then grade their work.(Teachers get half pay only)
Home schooling

I did my masters online. It was great, forum discussion 2 a week per class. Then complete and turn in assignments each week. Too bad elementary kids do not learn like this.

Just to be clear, No One is working 11 or 15hrs days 5 days a week and not being compensated with over time. No one.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
W

In person schools
Home schooling

Expecting children to benefit as easily and conveniently as an adult (you) taking online courses?

The in home learning, IMO, is not going to pan out like people are expecting. Between parents not being home (not all of course) and children having far too many stimuli impacting the intended learning, it won't be as easy as people think.

Turkey_Lurker03

Established Member
In part, many teachers are so full of fear (about Covid-19) that they're afraid to return to the classroom, so refuse to do so. Fear is now a driving force.

How are households with two working parents handling home (virtual classroom) schooling? Who is there with the kids during these virtual classes?

How will we truly measure the effectiveness and quality of these virtual classrooms, and how how much will be student absorb as compared to actual classroom learning? How will school districts ensure that student are even fully attending these virtual classrooms?

There are more than a few questions that don't have immediate answers. Being a parent today is NOT easy.

THIS!^!^!^!

Wife & I work full time. She owns 3 small companies and literally works 24/7. I'm 100% commision, and must work or we will come up short on the bills.
Oldest is going into 3rd grade (has dyslexia) and youngest going into 1st (has severe ADHD) so both really could benefit from a professional educator. Stinks their school isn't reopening...we have blue ribbon public schools. Part of the reason we moved here...
As far as handling the virtual classes, our oldest has been doing really well. Youngest needs supervision at all times. We have been working with them both over the summer 3 days a week to try and keep their mind sharp without burning them out but Bob's right it's definitely not easy.
I find it hard to believe these kids are truly getting the quality of education they need. Hell I know that at 38 I can hardly sit through a webinar without glazing over. Not only that, but i'm sure they are also missing out on important social skills.
Time will tell and we will get through it.

Thankfully both sides of the family have stepped up to help alternate days. Gives the kids a change of scenery and a different teacher to work with!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Just to be clear, No One is working 11 or 15hrs days 5 days a week and not being compensated with over time. No one.

LOL, you're absolutely wrong. Not unusual for my wife to work until 5PM, come home and eat, then in her recliner with her pile of school paper until bedtime. I won't even talk about the thousands she spends on reading books and materials she buys with OUR money every year. I learned long ago to just equate that money to me buying car parts.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I’d like to see contract language stating teachers are required to work over 8hrs a day without overtime.

That is called working to rule and they only do it if the new contract negotiations are going bad.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, you're absolutely wrong. Not unusual for my wife to work until 5PM, come home and eat, then in her recliner with her pile of school paper until bedtime. I won't even talk about the thousands she spends on reading books and materials she buys with OUR money every year. I learned long ago to just equate that money to me buying car parts.
Yeah no. The three in my family don't. Not saying they don't put in a full day, but they ain't putting in the hours of us non academians.

Tezz500

Established Member
That is called working to rule and they only do it if the new contract negotiations are going bad.

Well, is your wife an exempt employee? Because if she’s not, that’s illegal by federal law...

And if she IS an exempt employee... that’s just shitty negotiating. Again, I’d like to see contract language that states Teachers are REQUIRED to work over 8 hours a day / 40 hours a week without overtime compensation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yeah no. The three in my family don't. Not saying they don't put in a full day, but they ain't putting in the hours of us non academians.

There are teachers that are out the door as soon as they can for sure.

Blown 89

Established Member
We've been in school for three weeks here. I work with about 70 kids after school and nearly all of them are reporting that they're basically playing games on their phones the entire time and sleeping through classes. Physical education is being taught via Zoom....I'll spare you the details of how that's going. Some kids log in to class and are using cam programs like manycam to send out images/videos of them watching and working while they're actually playing xbox on the sofa.

How can schools have sports opening, teachers and faculty in school yet no students? Out here the elementary was going with a European model that sounded quite sane and reasonable but on the 11th hour the district changed its mind again. The school is the most sound place for these children.

If "safety" is the main concern then I would expect consistency across the board.
Sports aren't opening here. I have athletes that have trained their entire lives for high school/collegiate sports and are getting robbed because the teachers want a paid vacation. The 'stay safe at home' movement has morphed into an excuse to play hooky and collect government checks. Teachers clearly don't care about the kids at this point IMO.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I’d like to see contract language stating teachers are required to work over 8hrs a day without overtime.

out here teachers are not required to work beyond 8-3. (i taught for LAUSD for 3 years). come 2:50pm there are plenty of teachers with one foot already in the car door. of course, there are plenty of teachers who do put in plenty of extra hours, by choice, which is uncompensated. old school teachers who teach the same subjects, year after year, have nothing to do really. they just re-use the same lesson plans and materials over and over again. and nothing wrong with that if it actually works. of course they may be the ones struggling to switch over to technology lol.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Well, is your wife an exempt employee? Because if she’s not, that’s illegal by federal law...

And if she IS an exempt employee... that’s just shitty negotiating. Again, I’d like to see contract language that states Teachers are REQUIRED to work over 8 hours a day / 40 hours a week without overtime compensation.

It is why MN is usually ranked in the top 5 education wise, there is a tradition of hard work.

Tezz500

Established Member

So it’s not required? Or are these teachers getting the work done in an 8hr period vs taking 15 hrs to do the work. I’m genuinely curious here. I’m not trolling.

But to claim someone’s working 15hrs a day 5 days a week without compensation is just silly...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

last semester i asked my sister, the hardcore liberal, what time she started work (teaching) during lockdown. she said 10am. i asked what time she was finished. she said 2pm. she said they were required to work a minimum of 4 hours per day. and Zoom was "optional" last semester lol. (she's been teaching almost 25 years).

my mom is a dean. all she had to do was keep calling parents for asshole kids that werent participating or being disruptive during zoom meetings lol.

Users who are viewing this thread