For those of you with school age children...be patient....

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I’d like to see contract language stating teachers are required to work over 8hrs a day without overtime.
IF your not in the industry just stop.
You sign a contract, do your job regardless of hours and you get a salary. There’s no overtime in teaching.
If you are you’ve seen teachers show up at 6am and leave at 5 only to do 3 hours of prep work at home.

I was told directly by a principle to have full and complete lesson plans(takes me 3 hours to to do one on paper) each day. I needed to complete one for each of of the 5 subjects I teach. After writing each plan on paper I had to prep materials for each lesson and do examples prior to each lesson. 3x5 is 15 hours a day just in writing down what I’d say to my students prior to class.
The district was more concerned with covering their ass than educating students. It’s no wonder they had 70% turnover each year!
Lesson plan examples. Pain in the ass. They don’t allow: objective, double digit multiplication with your example anymore.
4E14B277-7FBB-460A-BA88-36253F80362B.jpeg
36451674-BED0-4C21-8E49-D11ACDA18384.jpeg

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
So it’s not required? Or are these teachers getting the work done in an 8hr period vs taking 15 hrs to do the work. I’m genuinely curious here. I’m not trolling.

But to claim someone’s working 15hrs a day 5 days a week without compensation is just silly...

If she worked to rule, she would have to give up on the kids that need more help, it's that simple. That is what happens in the inner city schools, teachers won't spend one more minute than required and they get the hell out as soon as they have enough experience to catch on somewhere else.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Our kids were going to private school and this years (nonrefundable) prepay tuition breaks were due just before the craziness. We opted to decline and the wife chose to homeschool.

On another note. I was servicing a well known prestigious private school. Opened up half a century ago....Its closed for good. Tuition projections and requests for refunds for the previous year did the school in. Walking the halls after so called temp closer, was an apocalyptic experience. Weird and surreal.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
You sign a contract, do your job regardless of hours and you get a salary. There’s no overtime in teaching.
If you are you’ve seen teachers show up at 6am and leave at 5 only to do 3 hours of prep work at home.

I was told directly by a principle to have full and complete lesson plans(takes me 3 hours to to do one on paper) each day. I needed to complete one for each of of the 5 subjects I teach. After writing each plan on paper I had to prep materials for each lesson and do examples prior to each lesson. 3x5 is 15 hours a day just in writing down what I’d say to my students prior to class.
The district was more concerned with covering their ass than educating students. It’s no wonder they had 70% turnover each year!

With all due respect, if you’re working hours you don’t get paid, perhaps you’ve chosen the wrong profession....

I get it when it comes to Salary/Management employees that rely on a Bonus to make up the difference, but working for free just makes no sense to me.

So again, I’d like to see contract language that states you are REQUIRED to work over 8hrs a day, over 40hrs a week and not get paid...

I don’t give a shit what your principle says. You have a contract. And if your contract states that language you need to dissolve that damn thing yesterday.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Why do students need school purchased tablets to learn?

Wow, too much there to dissect it all.
Teachers normal schedule is more like 7-5. Ive known many that are 6-5 and 8-11.
Teaching at home is tough. You've got those who don't have funds for computers and stuff let alone multiple for brothers and sisters that have their teacher meetings at the same time. The teacher can't see the work as the student is trying and its hard for the students to see the examples the teacher is showing. Its best for the teacher to be recording her work on video(like an overhead elmo) and then voice over the instructions.
The other issue is the students turning in their work remotely. You have students and parents saying the work is done and they put hours into it, but its no where to be found online.

I would choose one of the following if I was in charge:
In person schools
Online schools where Teachers send in lessons and examples, parents work with their kids, then grade their work.(Teachers get half pay only)
Home schooling

I did my masters online. It was great, forum discussion 2 a week per class. Then complete and turn in assignments each week. Too bad elementary kids do not learn like this.

i was an LAUSD teacher for 3 years. my mother and sister have been with LAUSD for over 20 years each. the work schedule is 8-3, during non lockdown. sure many teachers put in additional time at their choosing. i had an amazing math teacher i worked with who would come in 1.5 hours early every morning and tutor students on her own time. for every teacher like this there are a handful who are in their cars before the kids are even on the bus. last semester it was mandated that 20 hours a week minimum was required, and zoom teaching was optional. there were plenty of teachers who never even really interacted with their students last semester. they did offer training for distance learning last semester. it was optional. and you got paid an extra $1k if you did it, and it was during your normal work time lol.

in LAUSD, every student has access to free internet hotspot and a free chromebook to use. you dont even have to be poor. my son is borrowing one so he can have dual chromebooks going.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

Lesson plan examples. Pain in the ass. They don’t allow: objective, double digit multiplication with your example anymore.
View attachment 1659187 View attachment 1659188
You raise some good points, buy just like my relatives seem to marginalize anyone opining on the education system. Need I point out that we all fund it and are customers.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So it’s not required? Or are these teachers getting the work done in an 8hr period vs taking 15 hrs to do the work. I’m genuinely curious here. I’m not trolling.

But to claim someone’s working 15hrs a day 5 days a week without compensation is just silly...
They are compensated, it’s called salary. Each teacher agrees to it every year of their contract. The principle asks for certain items during the day or during the school year. If not complete you are written up. No legal recourse as you voluntarily signed a contract.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

View attachment 1659187 View attachment 1659188

so youre a teacher and you got your masters online? was it National? Phoenix?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
They are compensated, it’s called salary. Each teacher agrees to it every year of their contract. The principle asks for certain items during the day or during the school year. If not complete you are written up. No legal recourse as you voluntarily signed a contract.

So you’re considered Exempt employees then?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i was an LAUSD teacher for 3 years. my mother and sister have been with LAUSD for over 20 years each. the work schedule is 8-3, during non lockdown. sure many teachers put in additional time at their choosing. i had an amazing math teacher i worked with who would come in 1.5 hours early every morning and tutor students on her own time. for every teacher like this there are a handful who are in their cars before the kids are even on the bus. last semester it was mandated that 20 hours a week minimum was required, and zoom teaching was optional. there were plenty of teachers who never even really interacted with their students last semester. they did offer training for distance learning last semester. it was optional. and you got paid an extra $1k if you did it, and it was during your normal work time lol.

in LAUSD, every student has access to free internet hotspot and a free chromebook to use. you dont even have to be poor. my son is borrowing one so he can have dual chromebooks going.
And they say there’s not enough money in education.....

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

guess what? it doesnt work like that everywhere
Hundreds of programs online. I went through GCU.

Just changed careers build my business now. My mentor started 6 years ago and made 6 times what I made teaching last year.

kudos to you. but you cant compare elementary aged childrens online education to a masters program with adults who are self disciplined. and no offense, but getting a masters in education is an easy program. try getting a masters degree in chemistry or engineering online, meeting twice a week. hell my moms friend got her online bachelors from National while having her 22 year old daughter doing all the assignments and exams for her because she's not very bright and hadnt been to school in like 30+ years. got her $$$ online degree and BAM qualified to teach! lol

i can see your principal was a serious ballbuster on lesson plans though. good grief. i thought mine was bad. those are micro-managing principals. there are plenty others are not as involved; especially in high school.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Sports aren't opening here. I have athletes that have trained their entire lives for high school/collegiate sports and are getting robbed because the teachers want a paid vacation. The 'stay safe at home' movement has morphed into an excuse to play hooky and collect government checks. Teachers clearly don't care about the kids at this point IMO.

Sports are 50/50 here. Some schools cancelled entirely while other schools temporarily cancel when a kid gets the Chinese Virus or has been in contact with someone who has it and then there are other schools having practice and crap because the PIAA said it was fine BUT BUT BUT don't allow the kids in the classrooms. It is absolutely shocking how asinine people have become in the past few months. If C19 didn't get them, stupidity did. We have teachers, in the classrooms supposedly teaching virtually in two weeks, who don't know their ass from a hole in their heads when it comes to the technology. The "stay safe at home" b.s. has infiltrated the entire school district(s) from top to bottom. Responsibility has been shifted as much as possible.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
guess what? it doesnt work like that everywhere

kudos to you. but you cant compare elementary aged childrens online education to a masters program with adults who are self disciplined. and no offense, but getting a masters in education is an easy program. try getting a masters degree in chemistry or engineering online, meeting twice a week. hell my moms friend got her online bachelors from National while having her 22 year old daughter doing all the assignments and exams for her because she's not very bright and hadnt been to school in like 30+ years. got her $$$ online degree and BAM qualified to teach! lol

i can see your principal was a serious ballbuster on lesson plans though. good grief. i thought mine was bad. those are micro-managing principals. there are plenty others are not as involved; especially in high school.
It was mandated by district. Why they had 70% turnover.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
It was mandated by district. Why they had 70% turnover.

yikes. turnover is high everywhere. who wants to go to school for 7 years to make $40k and get shit on by kids, parents and administrators. the only thing i miss about that job was the vacation/time off. most of the kids were pretty cool too. it was the admins that sucked balls.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Second day and was having massive tech issues. Sound wasn't working, kids couldn't find their way to their virtual PE class, they kept typing the codes incorrectly, parents were asking me tech questions that I had no idea how to answer since these digital platforms are so new and we teachers never received training on them. Some teachers are putting their kids on websites to work independently way more than they should be. Kind of a way to be lazy. I've done nothing but direct instruction so far. To address the debate on teacher contract times and working more than is required: It's kind of an unwritten rule that you're going to have to work more hours than you're contracted for to get things done. I am a very efficient worker but there are just not enough hours in a day. Some find it dumb to embark into a profession like this because of that but if you like the job and care about the kids you don't really care about the extra time put in. I'd say, on average, I put in between 60-90 minutes a day above the required hours.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Second day and was having massive tech issues. Sound wasn't working, kids couldn't find their way to their virtual PE class, they kept typing the codes incorrectly, parents were asking me tech questions that I had no idea how to answer since these digital platforms are so new and we teachers never received training on them. Some teachers are putting their kids on websites to work independently way more than they should be. Kind of a way to be lazy. I've done nothing but direct instruction so far. To address the debate on teacher contract times and working more than is required: It's kind of an unwritten rule that you're going to have to work more hours than you're contracted for to get things done. I am a very efficient worker but there are just not enough hours in a day. Some find it dumb to embark into a profession like this because of that but if you like the job and care about the kids you don't really care about the extra time put in. I'd say, on average, I put in between 60-90 minutes a day above the required hours.

are you a PE teacher? my daughter showed me a tik tok video of a virtual PE class with kids doing jumping jacks at home. it was hilarious!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

In my wife's district, the principal cannot ask you to work any hours or days outside of what is specificlly outlined in their contract.

Any "workshops" the Principal requires then to join involves extra pay 100% of the time. Otherwise, the extra time is voluntary.

Users who are viewing this thread