Ford Creates 5,000 jobs at new plant - in India

DefCon3

Established Member
US auto giant Ford has started construction on a $1 billion manufacturing and engineering complex in India as it bets on the country to help drive global growth, a company statement said on Tuesday.

The new manufacturing facilities in Sanand in the western state of Gujarat will create 5,000 jobs, and will be able initially to produce 240,000 vehicles and 270,000 engines a year, Ford said.

Ford building $1bn manufacturing complex in India - FRANCE 24

Keep up the strike talk, UAW, that'll convince Ford to expand in the USA.

musclefan21

Established Member
You better believe I WILL NOT buy a new ford. If I ever buy a new car, it will be an made in america car. Screw Ford :nonono:

oldmodman

Established Member
I wonder how many applicants for assemble line jobs they would get at $3.08 per hour and NO UNIONS. Here in America.

A corporations only concern should be to it's shareholders. Not a populist statement to be sure, but a true one.

musclefan21

Established Member
If the plant is producing UK/Asia products I have no problem with it. I see nothing in the article that would allude to Ford being able to tell the UAW to **** off.

It is FORD and it is AMERICAN. You bet I have a problem with it. regardless where the cars are for. They should be built in the USA.:nonono:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Saving on shipping and cheap labor its the reason its in India. Plus like FL Orange said its prob just the European versions of Ford we will never get.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there was a special on not too long ago about India being a huge future market and trying to capitalize on it, that appears to be what the article says as well. Being as there is no indication that this will result in the loss of existing jobs here I fail to see the issue

to expect them to build them here and ship them over is a bit silly imho

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
It is FORD and it is AMERICAN. You bet I have a problem with it. regardless where the cars are for. They should be built in the USA.:nonono:

Boo hoo, don't you favor Kia's anyway? ;-) :poke:

Seriously though, a lot of Fords get made in Mexico/Canada (America's Groin Hat Regions respectively). To be competetive they need to build the end product somewhat locally. If they can be successful that will bode well for an American company, which I can stand behind.

Blown 89

Established Member
Somehow Ford is blamed for not supporting American business yet there is nothing wrong with the UAW who is fleecing Ford for all they're worth during uncertain economic times? Don't blame Ford, blame the people who have made it impossible to keep businesses competitive on our shores:
UAW "leans toward" striking Ford if deal isn't reached

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

DefCon3

Established Member

Have you checked lately, how many Fords are built in Mexico then shipped to USA? Or US models that have high Mexican or Canadian content?

crew_dawg16

Established Member
If the plant is producing UK/Asia products I have no problem with it. I see nothing in the article that would allude to Ford being able to tell the UAW to **** off.

So by this statement you are saying that we should not export any automobiles anywhere in the world - like the rest of the world does? :shrug:

Machdup1

Established Member
Ford has being doing this for a long time. Ford has facilities in Thailand, Romania, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, France, England, Australia, Venezuela, China, Germany, India (older factory), Taiwan, Malaysia, South Africa, Phillipines, Russia, Turkey, Belgium, Vietnam,Slovakia, Argentina and Spain to name a few.

Ford is not alone, all auto manufacturers build cars overseas. Cheaper labor is cheaper labor. The Unions killed the US auto industry a long time ago.

If you want to buy a car 100% made in the USA, good luck, it will likely be something from before 1970.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
So by this statement you are saying that we should not export any automobiles anywhere in the world - like the rest of the world does? :shrug:

Why would I say that? :dw: If it's cheaper to build local then the car should be built local so Ford can make profits. The economics of the region and the target product would determine the build location.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
It makes sense for them as a company. People are in business to make money not overpay unskilled and low-skilled workers. The Democrat machine (aka the unions) are ruining this country in the public and private sectors. The continued loss of private sector jobs will be the end of this country. Funny how the state with the lowest tax rates, Texas showed the largest growth in private sector jobs; go figure.

Fuerza

Established Member
It's really not that serious. They most likely buildings cars for that market and the China market. India and China have a huge market for cars.

Also Toyota makes the Tundra in San Antonio TX. BMW makes the X3 and X6 in Spartanburg SC. Point being auto manufacturers build plants where it bests fits what the market wants. We love trucks and SUV's in the US so that's where they put their plants. I wouldn't worry about the F150 or Mustang GT being built in India.

JMD0346

Established Member
ford, and other automakers for that matter, should pull a Reagan on the unions. Call there bluff. Fire them all and start over. There are plenty of folks who would love to have those jobs at reasonable pay.

When the last auto maker is headed out the door. When the US government can no longer bail them out and theyve been forced to move overseas. I wonder who the Unions will blame?

The US gubmnt and unions have taxed, regulated, fleeced and crippled the entire US economy. Unfortunatly the Auto sector is just a part of it.

One a good note. Maxine waters-head has demanded Ophony pass another stimulous to the tune of 1+ trillion. So we'll all be good here shortly. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread