Ford only run group at the Streets of willow

RodeoFlyer

Established Member
No but I know his car is for sale CHEAP. He's not an AIX driver :shrug: anymore

i'll see if I can't con Ross into going as well.

RodeoFlyer

Established Member
Carlos - Ross Murray will be there. He will prob be spending most of the time in the car coaching me, but just might bring his AI S197 :banana:

racebronco2

Established Member
Suspension seminar in santa clarita

A few people have requested for us to have a suspension seminar. We have a shop we can do this at. It is Wild pony Motorsports, it is listed under appoved shops to get your car tech inspection done at. Cost for tech inspection is free. If you would like to join us the cost is $5.00 per person to cover piza and drinks. We are going to have a car there to demonstrate bumpsteer, camber, caster and roll center heights etc. It will be on a saturday probably in either october or november.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
A few people have requested for us to have a suspension seminar. We have a shop we can do this at. It is Wild pony Motorsports, it is listed under appoved shops to get your car tech inspection done at. Cost for tech inspection is free. If you would like to join us the cost is $5.00 per person to cover piza and drinks. We are going to have a car there to demonstrate bumpsteer, camber, caster and roll center heights etc. It will be on a saturday probably in either october or november.
This would be great. I need to learn more in this area....

RodeoFlyer

Established Member
Gee - I wonder if it's the 04 Roush they just put the Griggs World Challenge suspension on...... teehee

I'd be willing to bet if a lot of people are in need of current helmets Vicky can put a great group price together.

racebronco2

Established Member
RodeoFlyer said:
Gee - I wonder if it's the 04 Roush they just put the Griggs World Challenge suspension on...... teehee

I'd be willing to bet if a lot of people are in need of current helmets Vicky can put a great group price together.

No it's not. That car doens't represent the average mustang driver. I don't know too many people willing to spend $5000.00 plus installation. It will probably be a car that will be attending our run group.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
WE are looking into having sunday also 12-2-07 but it would be american muscle open to camaros, firebirds and corvettes. WE have about 6 nmustangs so far and about 6 guys with vettes. I am going to start another thread for sunday. Need to know quickly cause we need to let speedtrialusa know but the 15th of august.

racebronco2

Established Member
We (socal svtoa board members) have decided to have no instructors driving their cars in our group til after lunch. We will be instructing with speedtrial as usual and will be instructing people in our group. To bring our members up to speed faster we will be driving your car to show you around the track at about 80% for about 2 or 3 laps. We then are going to ride as passenger while instructing. We will be driving your car to show you the lines, we are not going to drive your car to show you how fast your car can go, that's up to you. Whom ever asks for instruction will be on first come first serve basis. Since there is going to be a big disparity between drivers/cars we will be lining up cars in three groups, novice, intermediate and advanced. We do have some door prizes already and maybe a few gift certificates.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
To make registration easier the cost will be 121.00 for one day and if we do get sunday it will be 201.00. Registration will be thru speedtrialusa.com. This is much easier for speedtrialusa.com since they are charging 120.00 for one day and 200.00 for both. This will insure that you will be in our run group. I copied several of these posts at http://socalsvtoa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=231&PN=1#top. Registration should be open soon.

We are going to get a few trophys, one will be for the loudest blower whine, instructors choice for the most improved student and the last one will be for ???

racebronco2

Established Member
socal svtoa autox 10-20/21-07

Our club is co-hosting our annual solo2 event. Saturday will be a practice and sunday the championship event. This would a perfect event to get your car set-up for the december event. We can probably reserve about 10 spots. In this event you should get plenty of runs. We can also drive/ride in your car for personal instruction. We can also give rides in our cars. There will be some of the top solo2 drivers there. I should know the cost by the end of next week.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Open tracker's opionion on autox

Posted by an open track scca vette driver:

Yeah, I did my first autocross today. I better be keeping my day job.

The competition:
I know you are not supposed to need to do "point-bys" at an autocross, but I got tired of the SSTT class (Sidewalk Stock Toddler Toys) in the Novice Toddler Group zig-zagging back and forth in my mirrors. It is quite distracting as I am running over cones!!! I mean really, how many razors, trikes and pedal cars can there be out at El Toro on a Sunday? Seriously though, I was 10 seconds off of the fast time in my CSM class. I am supposed to be an experienced driver and most people consider me fast. I got schooled by a lot of drivers today and their cars had license plates!!! I hope they don’t show at Cal Speedway. I will just keep it mum what a piece of cake it is cherry-picking at those road race gigs.

My recollections:
Despite my poor debut, I had a great time. It is non-stop action on a grand scale. I thought driving in traffic at the start of a road race is busy business. That is amateur stuff compared to the intensity on an auto-X course. I swear half those drivers out there must have adult on-set of Hyper-Activity/Attention Deficit Disorder to be able to focus on the next eight turns at once. Those folks are not really human. They must be those X-men who do auto-X or something... that naming convention can't be a coincidence. I bet they all have a secret handshake, too. That Beverly woman who took me for my novice run must be the Beemer Super Hero as I was in a different galactic time-zone as far as the clock goes. Where she comes from, I bet their clocks only show 37 seconds or something. I can't imagine going that fast in that tight a course.

Seriously, there are a lot of new skills to learn here. Many of those skills will have direct benefit on the road course. Slaloming those cones is a wild combination of car balance and rhythm. The extremes of over-steer and under-steer when trying to nail turn-ins, apexes and track-outs under power is more exaggerated than anything I have experienced on a road course. It may only last 70 seconds, but there is a whole road race worth of turns and car-handling packed into that run. On a road course, in comparison, I get to cogitate for what seems like eons as I approach a braking zone and turn. I can prep and position and plan my move. In auto-X, I just better do it and NOW. Cat like reflexes and muscle memory are the order of the day.

My next plans:
I need to get out there again sometime soon to further humiliate myself... or with some luck my bumper will snag onto Steve Abbotts car as he goes by. If that happens at least I will make it back in soon enough to see the awards presentation.

Seriously, I need to get to one of the practice days. I need a lot more time on an auto-X course. There is a lot to learn cross-training for both my new-found racing disciplines. Plus, my son Kristjan wants to go for a ride on the auto-X course. How cool is it that a 13 year-old can go for a ride with his dad on the course. He can’t do that road racing even if it is just practice.

My Sponsors
Going through my e-mail tonight I got a cease-and-desist letter from Orange County Corvette. It says I must stop embarrassing their company name. If I am to run again, I must do it without their sticker on the car and at risk of losing their sponsor.

Closing thoughts:
Oli's note to self: Next time sign up under an alias and take all the identifying graphics crap off the car and register under the pseudonym of Diminutito Velocidad of the Republic of Slowvakia. When everyone sees me drive they won’t suspect a thing.

I think I embarrassed road racers world-wide. I hope John Norris still talks to me....

Thanks to all for the help from everyone out there today. Renee Angel, Steve Abbott, the other Corvette Steve, Beverly, the guys in the red and black shirts and too many others whose names I can’t recollect right now. Your support, encouragement and pity are truly appreciated! :)

Oli Thordarson (aka Diminutito Velocidad of the Republic of Slowvakia)
SCCA #22 T1

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Carlos:

Don't beat yourself up too badly. I feel your pain completely.

Keep in mind there are people that cut their teeth on autocross. A Honda will most likely kill you. Autocross is difficult and requires knowledge and finese. Mustangs are not the best A/C vehicle.

You could pass those guys that killed you on the autocross course driving a road course in fourth gear while eating a sandwich. :p

Food for thought!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Rocky Entriken once told me that "autocrossers make good road racers, road racers dont make good autocrossers!"

I use auto-x events to get alittle cheap seat time and work on car control at the limit in a lower speed, wide open enviroment. So far its worked well for me.

racebronco2

Established Member
Bruce,
The autox experience was not written by me. I guess i forgot to add it was written by a scca vette driver. I used to autox a bronco2 that i won the truck championship several years in a row. Autox to open track was really easy and i guess that is why they asked me if i would be interested in instructing.

racebronco2

Established Member
Suspension seminar in santa clarita

The date has been set for october 27th at 2pm. Need to get a count so that we get enough food. The place is wild pony motorsports.
carlos

racebronco2

Established Member
We are cancelling sunday run group.

We only have 3 people registered for sunday so we are cancelling the sunday run group (our club does not want to lose money on the event). For those who paid for both days you have a couple of options.
You could run with us on saturday and speedtrial on sunday.
Just run on saturday and we will refund you 80.00.
I will still be there on sunday to give instructions for those who want to run on sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread