Ford Sucks...Prove Me Wrong

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Its a Lemon Dude, If you have all of your receipts and they can't fix it, just get your money back, its the law.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
The regional rep (thru the GM) offered me a replacement car this morning. I told them I did not want another one, as I am sure you can see I just don't feel like they have treated me with any respect. The GM was actually angry with me because I didn't want to take their offer. He said it was a reasonable offer, and way back when if you had problems like this you were just stuck with the car. You would think I was making this crap up... Why in the world would I want to take another car from these guys.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
The regional rep (thru the GM) offered me a replacement car this morning. I told them I did not want another one, as I am sure you can see I just don't feel like they have treated me with any respect. The GM was actually angry with me because I didn't want to take their offer. He said it was a reasonable offer, and way back when if you had problems like this you were just stuck with the car. You would think I was making this crap up... Why in the world would I want to take another car from these guys.

Sn8k, i think you are making a mistake, even if you don't want a Cobra any more, take the new one and sell it. it is worth more than the trouble one. if you take it to court and you lose, you will be out much more. JMO

03CobraBro

Established Member

Well thats why we live in the US... if you really feel that way then get rid of the curse. Talking about how much you dislike the way ford has treated you wont make things any better. Iv personally never had to worry about it because Iv never had any serious problems with the fords I or my family have owned thus never had to deal with a ford rep or a ford grease monkey.

Last edited:

lesrok

Established Member
When I bought my Cobra I knew what I was getting into. I know Ford's are a piece of shit, but I couldn't afford a vette, so I got the Cobra cause it dips. I've had a shit load of problems with it, but I still love it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by lesrok
When I bought my Cobra I knew what I was getting into. I know Ford's are a piece of shit, but I couldn't afford a vette, so I got the Cobra cause it dips. I've had a shit load of problems with it, but I still love it.

Well im always glad to here about people that are happy with there peices of shit... Why didnt you just spend an extra couple thousand... hold off for a few months, and get yourself a vette?

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member

What you have to realize is that it was not personal. It was not disrespectful to you as an individual. Their job is to weed out claims that are bogus and make the process of replacing an alleged "lemon" difficult. Your case turned out to have merit and they are now offering you a new car.

Sure, it's ok to be angry about them not coming across sooner but don't cut your nose off. The replacement car has a better than 90% likelihood of being one of the best values and best performing cars on the road. You would pass that up? Not worth doing just to prove a point. Besides this is the way the game is played, it wasn't about disrespecting you.

I'm glad that after my lemon case I didn't get so upset that I stopped buying Ford products because that wouldn't leave much out there for me. I have had too much experience with GM to go that route. If you think Ford has been bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Good luck I hope that you are happy with either choice you make.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Originally posted by Annihil8or
What you have to realize is that it was not personal. It was not disrespectful to you as an individual. Their job is to weed out claims that are bogus and make the process of replacing an alleged "lemon" difficult. Your case turned out to have merit and they are now offering you a new car.

Sure, it's ok to be angry about them not coming across sooner but don't cut your nose off. The replacement car has a better than 90% likelihood of being one of the best values and best performing cars on the road. You would pass that up? Not worth doing just to prove a point. Besides this is the way the game is played, it wasn't about disrespecting you.

I'm glad that after my lemon case I didn't get so upset that I stopped buying Ford products because that wouldn't leave much out there for me. I have had too much experience with GM to go that route. If you think Ford has been bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Good luck I hope that you are happy with either choice you make.

I do understand where you are coming from, but the problem lies with how I drive the car and what conditions I drive it under. I am truly afraid this will happen again. That is also I big reason why I am unwilling to try this again. If I accept their offer and I have problems with the next car then I will need to start the process all over again...and I am not going to do that.

Regarding my driving conditions...it is now 90+ degrees here daily, we are at a higher altitude (5,000+ feet), and I typically only drive in the city (stop and go, usually not over 40 miles per hour). So this is the worst possible scenario for driving a performance vehicle. As such I am not willing to give it another try, I am just too gun shy. Remember this is my daily driver, as such it needs to run so I can make it to work and back.

UPDATE on the Viper. It is apparently operating within normal parameters. They showed me in thier manuals where the temperature gauge can and does move. So I am a little more at ease regarding my Viper (it is new...just put in service in January).

Thanks for all your input guys (and gals). It has been very helpful to know I have some support...even if it is not from Ford. :coolman:

TruBlu03

Some of us can live with these issues and others can't/won't. This whole warranty BS going on between Ford and the dealers certainly doesn't help matters. There are many Ford dealers refusing warranty work these days(understandable), not just on Cobra's. I think the SVT crowd just makes more noise about stuff so it seems more noticeable. While I didn't have an overheating problem I did have many others. Some I paid to get fixed elsewhere(wouldn't do that for any other car I've owned), others (stalling and tick most notable and never fixed) wouldn't/couldn't be fixed by the dealer or Ford.

I for one expected alot more from SVT and my $35k. Maybe I expected too much, I dunno. It's the fastest car I've owned, but in the end that wasn't enough. I waited almost 8 agonizing months for delivery. Then, after 8 months of ownership I had more reasons to get rid of it than to keep it. Luck of the draw I supose, some have no problems whatsoever(wish I had been one). I spent the better part of a month thinking the whole thing thru, it sucked. I'm happy for anyone who has one they are happy/no/minor problems with. I just wasn't one of them and I wasn't going to risk another shot at it. My bubble had been burst.

I really enjoyed my highly modified $22K dollar 00 GT more oddly enough. I never would have thought it. Maybe because I put so much into it, I'm not sure. But either way I'm still more fond of that GT(my 5th mustang btw) than I was the Cobra(something I've wanted since 93, adding a S/C in 03 just sealed the deal).

In the end and after 8 months of ownership, I sold it as my negatives were greater than the positives, bought a truck and (since I just can't seem to live wihtout a mustang of some sort), paid cash for my all time favorite mustang, a black 91 LX coupe, slightly modified with more tweaking otw ;-> You do what you have to, some just take it personal for some reason. IMO, I believe Ford/SVT will do almost antyhing to avoid annoucemnet of any kind of problem/s with the Cobra, their fault or not. The stall and ticking issues are serious matters that would have been addressed much more quickly in any other line IMO. And as far as I know they still have not been resolved. I dread the day I hear reports of engine failures due to metal fragments as a result of a faulty head casting. Hopefully it'll never happen.

If your unhappy and don't want another, I say go for a lemon and spend the cash elsewhere.

Infra-Red SVT

Established Member
Sorry to hear you are having problems with ford and your Cobra. If it were me i would go with the replacement. Good luck with whatever you choose to buy. Let us know what you will get.

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
This all seems pretty irrational to me. If after taking it in a few times and the dealer doesn't fix it then they offer you a new car it seems like a reasonable offer to me!!

Gord

03CobraBro

Established Member
Ill just say it could happen again, any car you decide to get next could be a lemon. That Viper could have ended up being a lemon. Its a common occurance that there will be a few bad apples in the bunch, it happens with any car, even limited production cars.

You never know either, say you got that viper and had a list full of problems with it, you'll never truely know if Dodge would treat you the same way Ford would. Same goes with GM (which I know from experience)

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
I think you guys miss the point of the information this website provides. Its like you have Ford googles on. Do you not see the numberous problem people are having with this car. Do a search, look at the board daily, or just open your eyes. I have been to many, many other boards and they do not have the numberous problems with their cars as we do. Why is this acceptable? My numberous other cars did not have this many problems. Tick, vibrations, rust, overheating, alignment, etc... What better to judge a car on than it's reliability....? How is it fair for me to test another Cobra for Ford? I have already told you the Service Manager took out other cars and found the same type of problem as mine when driven in the same situation as mine is. What do you expect me to do, continue down this same road until Ford handles this problem on all cars? Remember I'm at high altitude, I drive it in bumper to bumper traffic, I never really see over 40 miles per hour, and this is my daily driver. How many other people are driving their cars in this same scenario?

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I think you guys miss the point of the information this website provides. Its like you have Ford googles on. Do you not see the numberous problem people are having with this car. Do a search, look at the board daily, or just open your eyes. I have been to many, many other boards and they do not have the numberous problems with their cars as we do. Why is this acceptable? My numberous other cars did not have this many problems. Tick, vibrations, rust, overheating, alignment, etc... What better to judge a car on than it's reliability....? How is it fair for me to test another Cobra for Ford? I have already told you the Service Manager took out other cars and found the same type of problem as mine when driven in the same situation as mine is. What do you expect me to do, continue down this same road until Ford handles this problem on all cars? Remember I'm at high altitude, I drive it in bumper to bumper traffic, I never really see over 40 miles per hour, and this is my daily driver. How many other people are driving their cars in this same scenario?

Most of the problems I here of is the Vibe and the Tick. Both problems that have no effect on drivability. I guess the Vibe could though... Anyway I know I didnt end up with any problems so use me as an example that there are good Cobras out there.

But anyway, for instance my R/T, I'd say nearly 3/4ths of the guys that have one have some sort of transmission problems with it within the first 5000 miles, or the terrable vibrating sound that comes from the drive shaft or somewhere when you put it in reverse, or the grinding sound the trucks has tendency to make when you make a sharp turn to the right or left. I have all of the above accept tranny problems. Dodge just seems to think a loud creaking metal sound comming from underneath the truck is normal when you put it in reverse. Then when I run my AC all kinds of condensation forms inside of the CD player... The other day I was listening to a CD, and started hereing this garbling sound comming out of the speakers and I was like "eh, better change the channel" then i remembered I was listening to a CD, popped it out and a huge puddle of water and all kinds of droplets had formed all over the CD. I almost scared to put another CD in there in fear that it will short out. Luckily the truck will be under warrenty for another year. While I may have to argue with them about it, I know I will end up with a new cd player.

Look if we lived in a world where Jesus Christ was building these machines for us, what your saying would be quite reasonable... but we dont. We choose to buy our cars from mainstream manufacturers that intend to sell millions of cars a year, problems like this are to be expected from time to time, esspecially in a car with a redesigned power plant.

I suggest you wait until ford starts popping out the 04's because im fairly certain they'll have most of the bugs ironed out by then. If you dont want to do that then there's no reason to sit around here whinning about these things. Like I said before get rid of the curse and get on with life.

IMO Ford giving you the oppritunity to just take a brand new car says alot. I would have fainted if General Motors had ever done that for me or my family back when we still bought em.

Also if you dont plan on driving it much harder than what your describing then why didnt you just get a V6 mustang or a neon or something with a power plant that was more designed for daily city commuting? As much as people here like to make the Cobra out to be a great daily driver, I still dont think a car with a supercharger is an ideal setup for nothing more than daily driving.

Last edited:

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member

Sn8k Charmer, you are deeply in denial if you are asserting that those who have tried to point out the positives of 03 Cobra ownership to you are "wearing Ford Goggles." I won't attempt to speak on anyone's behalf but my own.

Yes I am extremely impressed with my 03 Cobra but that respect and enjoyment does not blind me - I am still firmly planted in reality when it comes to my awareness of Ford/SVT/03 Cobra positives and negatives. I have way beyond the aveverage experience with vehicles of all types as the owner of a business that uses all types of trucks and have always enjoyed tinkering with high performance vehicles since I was 16 years old. I don't wear goggles, I go strictly on past experience and current observations of new technology and performance.

One can't say that I have been overly lucky either, I have already related one lemon law issue (in this thread) that I had with Ford which was satisfactorily settled, never getting anywhere near litigation really.

You have the goggles on Sn8k, you are focused on "numberous (sic) problems" that you read on this site to the point you have become oblivious to the positive information that abounds here. It's like the cliche question "Is this glass half empty or half full." Your mental filters have perfectly eliminated all of the positive information that has been offered to you and seem determined to prove to yourself that "Ford sucks" as you stated in the caption of this thread. Frankly, it's getting boring.

I am a persistent believer that there is hope for mankind as a race so I thought one last attempt to ask you to wake up would be in order. If you read the very popular poll started by Andorian in mid April a total of 90% of the respondents to the poll either had NO PROBLEM or few minor problems that were easily fixed by the dealer! That's 9 out of 10!

The Poll on '03 Problems

You are stuck in focusing on the 2 or 3% that are having serious unresolved issues and you have blinders on. That's the way I see it. I think I understand how you got that way, but you have to want to make things right or they never will be. You set out to prove that Ford sucks and now the only info you allow into your consciousness is info that supports that assertion. So that's what you express here, it's getting old, it's inaccurate and narrow
minded. This is not an attack this is a wake up call.

You have choices, you could take the replacement car they have offered you - I would do so in a heartbeat - but that's based on my experiences. Get a refund and go away or get the replacement car and then focus on positives or be limited to the seasonless, dark realms of negativity where you continue to see yourself as a victim.

By the way I drive to AZ at least once a month. On my most recent trip it was 114 degrees and I was driving with the air on in stop and go traffic. Never did my temp guage exceed the halfway point. The car ran well as usual as did the A/C. If there was an altitude/heat issue with the car that didn't surface, I can't say but based on my experience, altitude would not create an overheating issue. Your car is an exception NOT the rule.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Hello...Ford is not offering to take my car back. They are offering me a replacement (Ford only). I can take a Cobra or some other Ford vehicle. If I need to state it again i will...The Service Manager took a brand new Cobra out (just like mine) and drove it in the same conditions I am driving in (stop and go in 5,000 feet altitude, at over 90 degrees in temp), the same way I am driving (they said not to rev over 4,000 rpms in traffic), and IT OVERHEATED AS WELL. You still think I should take another Cobra. Remember it is the only offer I am getting from Ford.

So I will go away (or stop whining) when they refund my money. Whining...I think not, my car is still in the shop...they are unable to repair it, because they do not know what is wrong. How in the heck is that whining.

Last edited:

MightyMo

Established Member
As some of you know my Cobra has overheated about 10 times now (I have had it for a little over 60 days, the dealer has now put over 200 miles on my car). It has now been in the 90s here in Colorado for weeks. My car has been in and out of the shop (four times now) for this problem. They have had the car since last Tuesday, it has over heated on them as well as the Ford Engineer. They said the problem with the car is the style I drive (and obviously the style the dealership drives as it over heated on them multiple times), even though they have made mine and several others overheat with the exact combination of events. Yesterday the Service Manager told me they were going to buy my car back, and they would call me with details today. They called alright, they said I should not rev the car over 4,000 rpms in traffic...basically I need to "upshift the car more", and the car is working within specs.

And that's it...they have offered me an extended warranty...and that's all they will do.

FORD SUCKS.....Prove me wrong.

POOF !!
YOUR WRONG!
now go fix your car!

Sonic Blue MN

Established Member
Just my 2 cents, Have you thought about taking the new Cobra contingent on specific conditions regarding the your concerns. Tell them you want an extended test drive. Pick a time frame and milage mark that is reasonable for you and the dealer. If you don't like the car they take it back. If heat is your concern, specify that you need to test drive it on a hot day. Put it all in writing, I'm sure at this point you would not do it any other way. The dealer may not go for it, but it shows that your at least trying to work it out.

All I'm saying, is if you can get a full refund for the 1st car, of course, take it. But, if the law doesn't allow it, you aren't getting it. Odviously this dealer and Ford are not giving you anything they don't have to.

I used to think the domestic car companies were rotten to deal with on warranty issues. But having just purchased a "Certified Used" Toyota Landcruiser, I have found the Toyota dealer and Toyota are worse to deal with on warranty issues and don't standbehind their product. The Toyota dealer would not even consider the fact that a Toyota could have any mechanical problems. The grass is not greener on the otherside.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
If you dont want another Cobra or Ford and they wont give you a cash refund matbe you could work out a trade deal with another car dealer new car for new car. Might be some work but I dont see you getting a refund. Also the new F150s are due out very soon that should be able to handle the heat. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread