Ford wants photo evidence of warranty fix?

bakeme9699

Established Member
Recently bought a certified MKZ and the next day I discovered the right rear LED brake light would not extinguish.

Took into the dealership last month and had it fixed...no questions asked.

Now the service manager wants me to bring the car back in so he can install the old light assembly, take pictures of the failure and then put the new light back in. Ford wants proof of the failure for some reason. Won't pay dealer for fix until photos sent.

It appears Ford/Lincoln does not believe or trust the customer, service manager or technician.

What is the deal...has Ford been getting burned by shady dealers and scammers concerning warranty claims??

mifordman

Established Member
i work for Freightliner, its not uncommon for warranty to want photos emailed to them of the failed part. if you have time just bring the thing back to them and let them. if not...sucks to be them.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Bring it back to them- they're just trying to get paid on the warranty claim.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Recently bought a certified MKZ and the next day I discovered the right rear LED brake light would not extinguish.

Took into the dealership last month and had it fixed...no questions asked.

Now the service manager wants me to bring the car back in so he can install the old light assembly, take pictures of the failure and then put the new light back in. Ford wants proof of the failure for some reason. Won't pay dealer for fix until photos sent.

It appears Ford/Lincoln does not believe or trust the customer, service manager or technician.

What is the deal...has Ford been getting burned by shady dealers and scammers concerning warranty claims??

It could be for a tsb or something? It may just be for their information as well, not just proof of the claim.

KB01GT

Whipple blown
Established Member
Yea I bought a F150 FX4 W/ apperance package which includes tinted taillights. They both would leak and fog over from the inside after i washed the truck which i took pics of with phone. Took it to dealership they used my pictures and took some of their own and had lights the next day. I think Ford just wants documentation

mrlrd1

Established Member
Ford is making the dealer eat the cost of the part because your failed part that they sent back is probably testing OK.

Warranty chargeback... it's a bitch.

This is common with intermittent electrical issues, and systems that engineers have too much pride in ;-)

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
i work for Freightliner, its not uncommon for warranty to want photos emailed to them of the failed part. if you have time just bring the thing back to them and let them. if not...sucks to be them.

Detroit Diesel by chance? Or a dealership? I work at the Gastonia Parts manufacturing plant.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
They are a digital imaging dealer.. So they can't replace any trim or body panels with email photo to ford... Someone forgot to take the picture..Lol
Ask for a couple free oil changes for the Inconvenience ;)

n20_stang

fwiw. I work as a service advisor for Chrysler and we also have a digital image process for warranty concerns. Not all repairs require it, mainly interior concerns and paint issues. Never had to submit pictures for an electrical issue like that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Go ahead and help them out.

As long as they do it while you wait. And let you come in when it is easiest for YOU.

I agree. I will take it one step further. Since he is being inconvenienced by having to bring it back (time + mileage), I surely hope the dealer will at least give him a credit for a free oil and filter change. Heck, I was inconvenienced by my Buick dealer once because they told me a part was received when it wasn't. They gave me a $100.00 credit on my account which I used for oil changes. Yeah, that might seem excessive, but the dealer wanted to keep me happy.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
get some type of credit or note written in your customer history, that way the next time you have to come in they will remember and hopefully repay the favor somehow.

Raindog

Established Member
They are a digital imaging dealer.. So they can't replace any trim or body panels with email photo to ford... Someone forgot to take the picture..Lol
Ask for a couple free oil changes for the Inconvenience ;)

This, Ford is getting really picky with their fixes these days (after years of false claims). The tech was supposed to take the pictures before submitting but some techs still give a lot of pushback. They are trying to take care of you but being paid for the claim is always nice as well.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I worked at a gm and subaru dealer and on occasion both gm and subaru would ask for pics for warranty claims and or work

Poppacapp

Established Member
This, Ford is getting really picky with their fixes these days (after years of false claims). The tech was supposed to take the pictures before submitting but some techs still give a lot of pushback. They are trying to take care of you but being paid for the claim is always nice as well.

This makes more sense to me now. After I bought my GT500, I had an issue with the rear spoiler, left side.. I believe the bolt of nut that holds the left side to the decklid came off and when I opened the trunk I could hear the nut or bolt bang around in there. It was lifting up from the decklid on left side.

Anyway, I called to schedule a service appt, and the guy I spoke with said they would need to take a picture of it and send it to Ford for possible warranty repair. I wondered why that was... but when I got there, they had my car for 15 mins and it was fixed. Not sure if they took a picture or not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did they give you anything for your inconvenience other than a handshake?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Did they give you anything for your inconvenience other than a handshake?

... they fixed the problem? How about instead of feeling like you are entitled something more be happy they fixed it without issue and repay them in kind. Or take this opprotunity to get to know them a little better in case you ever need to go back again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread