Front brake cooling ducts are FINALLY done!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just a quick heads up here Guys:

This morning I just picked up the latest run of the super high efficiency all aluminum GT500/S-197 brake ducts. Just in time for the tracking season.

Drop me a PM if you're interested!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
That's a good idea. Nice work

Here's how the ducts look if you cut them out of the factory place. That's how the Ford Racing kit works.

IMG_1383-1.jpg

11.jpg

rdsnk46

Established Member
If you dont want to cut your stock piece(Grill) Shelby sell the KR version that has openings and looks nice too!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Think there's any chance those things will fit a Lightning?

I highly doubt it. The S-197 is a very unique duct which is completely different than the SN-95. Blackbolt9 would be the guy to talk to though regarding Lightning cooling.

351PONY

Hey AC427COBRA,

I just saw your brake duct via a link on the Team Shelby board. I have to say I'm impressed. I want a set. Trying to send you a PM now with contact info.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Bruce

Those are the nicest backing plates I have seen. You mean to tell me those won't fit my Cobra :cryying:

You gunna hook up us SN95 guys :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well since it won't let me PM you or send you an e-mail :shrug: I'll leave you my contact e-mail here. It's [email protected]; Please contact me ASAP as I definately want a set. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Look for email!

Bruce

Those are the nicest backing plates I have seen. You mean to tell me those won't fit my Cobra :cryying:

You gunna hook up us SN95 guys :coolman:

Anthony takes care of the SN-95 guys quite nicely. He's got a nice kit for a budget price. :beer:

Hook me up with a set Bruce... PM the payment info when you can!!

Watch for PM.

351PONY

Got your e-mail and payment with instructions has been sent. Be sure to let me know if you decide to make something similar for the rear brakes. Thanks again and I hope to talk with you again soon. Cheers. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Got your e-mail and payment with instructions has been sent. Be sure to let me know if you decide to make something similar for the rear brakes. Thanks again and I hope to talk with you again soon. Cheers. :beer:

Rear brake cooling is not really necessary on this car. If I didn't need it at Road America, I can't imagine a track harder on brakes than that one! :read:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Here are a couple pics of the cooling hose routing I have on my GT500.

Here's the hose connected to the duct. The hose fits so tightly, all you need to hold it on is a zip tie:

ductrouting1el1.jpg

Here is the hose tied down to the tie rod to keep it moving with the duct and spindle:

ductrouting2hc0.jpg

Here is the inside shot with the hose tied down to the front anti-sway bar:

ductrouting3rg9.jpg

Although this hose is pretty much out of the way of the tire, whenever you have cooling hoses on at the track you want to be careful how sharp you turn your wheels maneuvering around the paddock.

Here's a pic of the same duct on an '06 Mustang GT.

s197ductouterqj2.jpg

Here's an inside shot on the Mustang GT once again:

s197ductinnergl1.jpg

PS Sorry some of the pics are kind of crappy! :kaboom:

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
I just want to give a plug to Bruce! I got a set from Bruce last year at RA. They fit perfect! They are much more sturdy than most duct kits because they do not use a spacer to make the ducts fit. They have the 1/4-1/2 inch piece of material all the way around the edge which makes them super sturdy! Now, if only I could get Roush to release the ducts from the Trak Pack for the front facia I would be set!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just want to give a plug to Bruce! I got a set from Bruce last year at RA. They fit perfect! They are much more sturdy than most duct kits because they do not use a spacer to make the ducts fit. They have the 1/4-1/2 inch piece of material all the way around the edge which makes them super sturdy! Now, if only I could get Roush to release the ducts from the Trak Pack for the front facia I would be set!

Bob:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

When I designed these spindle ducts, I had multiple criteria these had to live up to. They had to be extremely efficient because of the weight of the car. That's a lot of iron to haul down going into turn 5 At Road America at a very high rate of speed. They had to be lightweight because the car is already heavy enough! Especially on the front end. They also needed to be a quality part made from heavy enough gauge material to stand the rigors of open tracking and racing. I didn't want them to be flimsy. They also had to be aesthetically pleasing and look like something you'd find on the shelf at a Ford parts counter. (only without the Ford price) I believe they meet all of these criteria.

91svtbird

Established Member
Bruce do you have any problems with either the duct or the wire tie melting due to the heat generated under heavy braking ? What is the temp rating for your ducting hose?

I need to buy some hose and want to be sure it will stand up to the job. What do you recomend. (I don't want an orange colored hose perferably black)
I found these ,what do you think ? Is 300*rating good enough ?
http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=592&part=ALL42150

George.....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce do you have any problems with either the duct or the wire tie melting due to the heat generated under heavy braking ? What is the temp rating for your ducting hose?

I need to buy some hose and want to be sure it will stand up to the job. What do you recomend. (I don't want an orange colored hose perferably black)
I found these ,what do you think ? Is 300*rating good enough ?
http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=592&part=ALL42150

George.....

George:

I am having no problem whatsoever with the Wally World 3" RV sewer hose. Yes, a lot of heat is being generated. But one thing you have to remember is this ducting is the source for the cold cooling air! :idea: It stays cool as a cucumber! :coolman:

Now if you'll sleep better at night you can buy that expensive cooling hose in the link you provided. But IMHO that stuff should be reserved for the Koni Challenge Mustangs! :-D

Here is a photo of my Cobra R going into turn 5 at Road America:

rotorglo.jpg

As you can see, the front rotors are glowing quite nicely. Just not quite like Matt Kenseth's rotors at Martinsville.

I drive the GT500 just as hard going in there and I had Wally World RV sewer hose for my brake ducts and it's all cool. No melting of brake hoses.

I doubt you'll find a turn that will get your brakes hotter than turn 5 at Road America!

If you came off the track with hot brakes, without a cool down lap you might possibly have some issues, but I highly doubt it!

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread