Frps

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I've blown two since removing my PPRV two months ago. Never blew one before that. One was blown at 11 psi, the other at 15 psi. Both when I was on-off-on the throttle at high RPM, but not near the limiter.

I installed twin GT pumps today and reinstalled my PPRV. Not only do I not want to blow another one, but I'm tired of the hard starts ever since removing the thing.

When both mine blew, the car simply quit running. Well, once it would start up and kind of idle, but it was really rough, and wouldn't rev. Neither one put fuel into the vacuum line. And both times I was able to unplug them and drive home.

So, for me, PPRV=Blown FPRS.

Took some time reading to hear something like this to make my not want to change anything. I've had two 03 and never had a frps blow?:rockon:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Took some time reading to hear something like this to make my not want to change anything. I've had two 03 and never had a frps blow?:rockon:

Since then, I've blown another one, and again at the track racing it. This time was with the nitrous spraying. And this time it was sucking fuel through the vacuum line. It completely flooded the motor. I had to cap the vacuum line, unplug the FRPS, and pull the fuel pump fuse to get the car to refire and run (this took about 1/2 hour).

FRPS FTL.

black 10th vert

Established Member
What is involved with retrofitting a return style fuel system? After reading this entire thread, I'm afraid to start modding my car because of this problem! Seems like the return style is a way more bullet-proof setup, as you never hear about this stuff happening with the older 5.0's even with massive mods. Will the computer keep displaying an error code, once the new system is in if it doesn't "see" the sensor there?

Brian

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
What is involved with retrofitting a return style fuel system? After reading this entire thread, I'm afraid to start modding my car because of this problem! Seems like the return style is a way more bullet-proof setup, as you never hear about this stuff happening with the older 5.0's even with massive mods. Will the computer keep displaying an error code, once the new system is in if it doesn't "see" the sensor there?

Brian
You turn it all off in the tune. It's roughly a $1,500 job to go returnless (give or take $500 depending on options).

03cobramanIII

Banned
KB FRPS damper ($5) + 5 minutes labor = problem solved [QED]

Seriously, there is no reason to ever blow a $50-60 sensor again!

Here's my before & after...

IMG_2378small.jpg

IMG_2380small.jpg

IMG_2381small.jpg
do i need this disc? with my mods below? stock pumps, just a bap and 60s.

orange_rush

Established Member
Just blew mine for the first time last night at 27k miles. Called up the local dealer, gave me a price of $650! WTF! Anyway, I don't see how the diaphram would help, since the pressure in a closed fluid system is equally dispersed against the container enclosing it. The pressure that the diaphram sees would still be the same, since P=F/A.....the force of the fuel is the same, and the area of the diaphram is the same, therefore the pressure would be the same. Maybe I'm missing something. Just my .02. But where can I get an affordable replacement!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
They clearly looked up the wrong part. The fuel pump assembly itself is around $650, that's probably what they found.

The part number is 3R3Z-9F972-AA, and it retails for $76.45. You can get it cheaper from various places.

The action that blows them is fuel pressure spike. The idea behind the "disc" is to dampen that initial spike, and save the sensor. The diaphram in the sensor is actually a small gel reservoir of silicone, which doesn't take much to ruin.

bodabdan

Brute Force and Ignorance
Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm a Cobra noob here, but I can tell you a little about the disc. I am a Journeyman Instrument Technician, among other things. All over the world, in refineries, chemical plants, paper mills and anywhere else that gauges are used, you will find some that have "snubbers" installed. What's a snubber? It's basically a small disc with a very small hole drilled in it, just like what's being kicked around here.
If you don't install the snubbers on some applications that are prone to having pressure spikes, you find the pointer needle of the gauge will be bent from slamming into the stop at the end of it's travel. These snubbers are tried and true.
Do they slow down the response time? Yes. But the difference is so small that you won't be able to measure it. If you had molasses in your fuel rail, it might be slowed down enough to notice, but gasoline- you'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread