Gauging Interest: Retrofitted HID Headlights

Are you interested in retrofitted HID headlights?

• Total voters

stangin99

Established Member
Hi all,

I know I don't own a cobra and typically sit in the RSP or Smackdown, but I am starting up a new side business and wanted to gauge the interest of it here since mustangs are still my true car-love.

I'm currently building retrofitted mustang HID headlight kits. This means these are headlight housings that will have true HID projectors retrofitted into them. They will also contain EVERYTHING that you will need install, including using the factory wiring connections. That means NO cutting wires, at all.

They will mostly be bi-xenon headlights(high and low beams) in order to provide full functionality. Only OEM parts will be used, unlike the cheap HID kits sold on ebay. In other words, FX-R projectors, Denso Ballasts, Phillips bulbs, FACTORY wiring. They will also be guaranteed to be sealed, and pre-aimed correctly.

Other companies on the web charge well over $1000 for a set like this, and from the pics I've seen, they are not that impressive.(doesn't help that I am not posting pics at the moment, but this is mainly to point out price differences).

Based on the prices I can find, I'm looking at ~$750 for individual sets, and if we did a group buy of 5-10 or more, that could drop to as low as $600.

There is also the option of sending in your own headlights, and having them retrofitted. If that is the case, simply knock off $150 either price.

Core exchanges would also work. For a set of unbroken headlights, a $100 core exchange would be refunded once they are sent-back to me.

****Note- I'm currently building a set using OEM headlights. If all goes well, they will all be built using OEM headlights at roughly the SAME price(perhaps $50 more at most). If not, then aftermarket will be used.****

I will be posting pictures of the OEM set within a weeks time. But I want to gauge interest in it before I get elbows deep in this.

So, anyone interested?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Yes I am interested. Just make sure you clear anything with admin here first before trying to sell or setup a gb

oldmodman

Established Member
I have only seen one set modified like that in person and they looked like factory. They were done in the guys own stock 03 housings and had a chrome surround around the projector. And none of those "angel eye" things either. I think that the projector from an Infinity SUV was used. He did pay right at 1K for it and was very happy with it at that price. This was about five years ago.

I would be very interested in one for my 03 Cobra. Can't wait to see pictures of your results.

purdueranger

Established Member
I would have to see pics first. I have a set of smoked housings on my car so I would be sending those in.

stangin99

Established Member
For everyone that is interested, just for my own information, would aftermarket headlights be a deal-breaker? :read:

any option for the foglights too?

Not on my plate at the moment, but I can certainly look into it!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I believe it is fairly common knowledge that humans lose a significant amount of light sensing(night vision) as they age.

I am 58 and even working in the garage under the car, the lights I used to use are no longer enough.

I think you have a very good chance of hitting a home run here.

#1 Any baby boomers like myself who own 99/04 Mustangs would love to improve the amount of light they have available while night driving.

#2 Even younger drivers would appreciate the better night vision and the cool factor would snag more than a few also.

Although I am VERY INTERESTED in this development, I personally don't have that kind of money available. However most people that are old enough to start to notice their night vision is becoming diminished ARE in a demographic that DOES have the dough available, and normally I would too.

Another motivating factor is cars that are parked outside will very soon start to show cloudiness on the lenses from years of UV exposure, instead of doing a mickey mouse repair or buy new OEs why not upgrade?

I think it's a great idea!! :rockon::beer:

EDIT:
any option for the foglights too?

I think fogs would be awesome, and I believe are worth researching... more light is good light.

Last edited:

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
For everyone that is interested, just for my own information, would aftermarket headlights be a deal-breaker? :read:

I have had mixed results w/ aftermarkets. One set sealed well and the other, I could not get it to stop fogging after resealing them 2 or 3 times. But I too would like to see pics when you are done.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'd be interested in getting a set, depending on the quality of the job, of course. I will sub here to watch for the pics! To answer your question about using aftermarket lights... I would be down for aftermarket ones, as long as they don't fog, or leak. That is the main dealbreaker on those for most people, I would think, so if you can seal them well enough, then it shouldn't be an issue (at least speaking for myself).

Fourtrax250R

Established Member
I'd be interested in getting a set, depending on the quality of the job, of course. I will sub here to watch for the pics! To answer your question about using aftermarket lights... I would be down for aftermarket ones, as long as they don't fog, or leak. That is the main dealbreaker on those for most people, I would think, so if you can seal them well enough, then it shouldn't be an issue (at least speaking for myself).

agreed, most aftermarket headlights fog or leak after minimal use (I've had 2 sets of aftermarket headlights, both lasted less than a year before fogging up)

Users who are viewing this thread