Votes: 22 19.3%

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 3.31 or other?

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Op see if someone wants to swap rearends complete like an auto car with 3.15 or manual with 3.31

Flaco1

Established Member
I had 3.73 on my 2.9 Whipple set up with manual trans and switch over to 3.31 and the car feels a lot better down low and don't have to shift as much. Can't go wrong.

Surfergeek

Established Member
I hated the way the stock tune made the car shift too early when driving around the city. It would be into 5th gear at 38 mph and 6th at 43mph.
A tune changed all that. Now the car stays in the RPM range I like and doesn't shift into OD until highway speed.
With the torque the TVS makes the 3.15's are more than enough gear.
If it was NA I would put the 3.55's in.

Thanks for clarifying ... Missed that you had an auto and not the 6 speed manual.

Thanks for the feedback just the same. :)

Surfergeek

Established Member
Played some more with the calculators today ...

If I stick with the 35 series tires, going with a 3.15 would be damn close to having a 3.31 with a 40 series tire.

I think a big part of my problem with the 3.73 is the tire size right now, so want to be mindful of that making a decision.

Seems to me the choice really is between 3.27/3.31 (they are practically the same as far as I am concerned) and 3.15. I think I have pretty much ruled out the 3.08.

Seems like 3.15 may be the way to go, and would still be pretty good, if I went back to a 40 series tire instead of a 35. Can't see going with a 45 for daily driving on something like a 275 or 285 width.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Which tracks do you intend to run on? That will help you make a better rear end selection to limit unwarranted shifts. With a PD blower and you looking to do events that have turns I'd lean towards the 3.08 or 3.15 so you can attempt to actually put your foot in it coming off the apex without just getting a bunch of wheel spin.

Surfergeek

Established Member
Which tracks do you intend to run on? That will help you make a better rear end selection to limit unwarranted shifts. With a PD blower and you looking to do events that have turns I'd lean towards the 3.08 or 3.15 so you can attempt to actually put your foot in it coming off the apex without just getting a bunch of wheel spin.

Good input. I am in Northern California so I'll be running courses like Laguna Seca, Thunder Hill, Sears Point, then some southern california tracks, like Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, etc...

A wide variety of tracks.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I've only ever run Laguna out of those, which is somewhat intensive but in reality can probably be run in 3 gears. So next question, what is your skill level? I'd gear it down as much as possible if you are a beginner/novice to limit shifting and the tendency of the car stepping out on you when you're putting your foot in it like I said earlier. If you are more experienced, slightly higher rear end ratio could be fun if you have the car control skills to back up that added Oh shit factor when you put your foot down and all the car wants to do is step out.

kingnut

Established Member
Keep the input coming guys ... Especially those that have had experience with the 3.15s or 3.27 as opposed to the 3.31.

Keep in mind for me I have shorter tires than stock (18" with a 35 sidewall) and also will be doing road coarse and auto-x as my primary uses for the car when it comes to spirited driving.

It's my intention to the change LSD at the same time. Most likely going to go with the Wavetrac. I had a quaife in a previous car and loved it. Would have gotten one for this car if it was available.

your not gonna feel a difference at all between 315, 327, 331. 373 to 331 yes.

Surfergeek

Established Member
I've only ever run Laguna out of those, which is somewhat intensive but in reality can probably be run in 3 gears. So next question, what is your skill level? I'd gear it down as much as possible if you are a beginner/novice to limit shifting and the tendency of the car stepping out on you when you're putting your foot in it like I said earlier. If you are more experienced, slightly higher rear end ratio could be fun if you have the car control skills to back up that added Oh shit factor when you put your foot down and all the car wants to do is step out.

I would put myself as a an advanced beginner / intermediate. I had been looking at the max MPH and RPMs for the different gearings with my tire sizes and am becoming more and more convinced that maybe the 3.08 is the way to go. I have the power and torque to make up for it, and on an auto-x course it would really limit shifting and on a track like Laguna I could run most of the course in 3 gears. A couple of spots where you would get into 4th if really on it. With the 3.73 and being N/A I had to shift into 5th on multiple spots on the course.

Looking at the 3.27, 3.15, and 3.08 there aren't huge differences between them. A big difference between them and the 3.73 though. Perhaps I should just split the difference and grab the 3.15s. Ugghh so much to consider.

Having experienced the "Oh Shit" Factor on the 3.73, I can say it would be nice to be able to get into it a little more coming out of corners.

Last edited:

Surfergeek

Established Member
Thanks for the input!

I think if I had taller tires, the 3.31 would be the clearer choice, but I think I am settling in on the 3.15.

Because my current tires are just shy of 26" tall and if I go to a 40 series sidewall, they will still be about 27" tall, the 3.15 gears should still be good to go.

Spent a ton of time with calculators, spreadsheets, and careful observation while driving with my current gears and it seems that the 3.15 which sits between the 3.27/3.31 and the 3.08 is the most ideal choice that will put me in a good gear in the right spot in the power band, especially on a road course.

It's also the most flexible to run a taller tire in the future. I can't see running anything higher than a 40 series sidewall with a 275/285 tire.

silver50

Established Member
1-3 will spin on me any time. 4th will spin when shifted fast or powershifted. Granted I'm still on the stock Pirelli's but they hooked decently when stock. I am going to 3.15 or 3.31 when I get around to working on my diff.

Dan I thought I convinced you when we gave each other rides and I dropped it to 2nd and let it rip coming back to fashion.

implosive

Established Member
Putting 3.31s in my 540whp mt82 in a week or two. 3.73s and this much power has officially become to much for me

Surfergeek

Established Member
I finally made a decision ... Went with the 3.08 gears. Spent a ton of time comparing 3.27/3.15/3.08 and because I went down to 18" tires instead of the factory 19" it lead me to the 3.08 gears. If I still had 19" tires I would have gone for the 3.15 or 3.27.

Compared at length between 3.15 and 3.08 and also the 2012 GT500 ratios with a 3.55 which compares fairly close to the 3.08 gears on the MT82.

Opted for the 3.08 with my current 510whp power level on the conservative tune and will be good to go when that gets bumped up with a tune and intake in the future.

The 3.73 combined with 18" tires just weren't happening. 1st and 2nd totally worthless and 3rd presented challenges with grip as well.

Gears aren't installed yet, but looking forward to being able to really get on it coming out of a turn and having half a chance of the rear not stepping out, especially on a road course.

Surfergeek

Established Member
Congrats on a decision.
What tire are you going with?

I presently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35 R18 on all 4 corners.

Those are my daily drivers.

Track Tires are a Toyo R888 in 295/30 R18 on all 4 corners ... next set of track tires will have a taller sidewall (but the pricing on these was too cheap to not give them a try) I have only one track day on them so far and I enjoyed them that time out, but not with the supercharger yet.

jojobee

Established Member
Putting 3.31s in my 540whp mt82 in a week or two. 3.73s and this much power has officially become to much for me

Thats interesting...i'm in the same boat.
I should be close to 600rwhp when summer comes and am thinking of doing the same.

Really looking forward to get you impression after the swap.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread