**** Geriatric Drivers!

Branhammer

Established Member
In the last year, my wife and both brother-in-laws have all been in accidents involving old-ass drivers that have no business behind the wheel of a vehicle. Wife was rear-ended while waiting at a red light, one in-law was hit in the front fender while sitting at a stop sign and the other driver turned too wide onto the street he was waiting on, and the other in-law was just driving on the interstate when an old lady next to him decided to change lanes without looking (he was next to her for a good minute at least when she did this AND he was slightly ahead of her IN HIS FULL SIZE TRUCK!)

Well, it was only a matter of time...

image.jpg

Yesterday, while driving in the center lane of 6 lane main road here in SLC, an old man turned onto the road I was on as I was driving by, but instead of turning into the inner-most lane, like any ****-tard should know you're supposed to do, he decides to turn onto the road but turn all the way into the center lane, where he then smashed his driver's side front corner into my passenger's side rear fender. When he got out of the car he just gawked at me with a confused look on his face and literally did not say one word until I finally said "well....I guess we better get the police out here." Then he finally said he never even saw me. Well, if he didn't see me, it must be because his eyes were closed.

This is becoming a ****ing epidemic around here. It's like that South Park episode. In most cases you can't own nice shit because people steal it, but here it's because some ****ing mummy will hit it with their car.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
there needs to be a mandatory yearly evaluation done at 60+. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Old geezers should NOT be behind the wheel. What's the average life expectancy? 75? For the first 15 years of your life you cannot drive as you are not able, it should be same for the last 15 of your life as well.

'but but my independence!'

**** your independence.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I feel your pain. That happened to me about this time last year. I was stopped at a traffic light and got rear ended totaling my car. I had the same issue of it being an old lady.

Branhammer

Established Member
My car barely has over 2,000 miles on it and still has new car smell. Why couldn't he have just hit the 1996 GT back before I got my new one and sold the '96?????

Here in Utah all they do is a vision test.

"Can you see the dot? Oh you can? Good job! Here's your driver's license!"

The other day we were walking to our car in the Costco parking lot and saw an old couple driving in the lot that looked about 187 years old. The old man was shaking in terror like he was in the T-rex chase scene in Jurassic Park....they were moving about 3 mph...

Zemedici

Established Member
My car barely has over 2,000 miles on it and still has new car smell. Why couldn't he have just hit the 1996 GT back before I got my new one and sold the '96?????

Here in Utah all they do is a vision test.

"Can you see the dot? Oh you can? Good job! Here's your driver's license!"

The other day we were walking to our car in the Costco parking lot and saw an old couple driving in the lot that looked about 187 years old. The old man was shaking in terror like he was in the T-rex chase scene in Jurassic Park....they were moving about 3 mph...

oh god the ****ing white knuckle ride, I see that all the time. Like calm down Father time, bingo will still be there in 10 minutes. Its ok. Its ok.

'all the new fangled automobiles just go zoomin by so fast.....'

HandBanana

Established Member
Sucks to hear dude. I agree, there should be a retest at 65.

9/10 here if there is a line at a light or a back road, it's because of some old person sitting at the light or going 25 in a 45. Just this morning at the first light I came to, an old fart in a CRV sat through a green light at a four way and forced all of us to sit for another 3-4 min. Being 5 cars back, I couldn't even beep effectively and being the South where they're all about "manners", no one else honked at him either. So fun.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
there needs to be a mandatory yearly evaluation done at 60+. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Old geezers should NOT be behind the wheel. What's the average life expectancy? 75? For the first 15 years of your life you cannot drive as you are not able, it should be same for the last 15 of your life as well.

'but but my independence!'

**** your independence.

I so wish we could all be reminded of this quote when you hit 75 so we can see if you'll be one of those self hating geezers, haha.

I had a similar incident years back in my Jeep. Was going down a street with only one vehicle behind me, 3 lanes wide each side. See a Saturn pull up to a stop sign on a cross street. He looks right at me, then proceeds to turn and slam into my drivers side fender and door. I got out pissed and asked him what his problem was, he slowly got out and proceeds to introduce self as if nothing had happened. WTF?

Called the cops and suddenly his story started to change when the officer got there. Luckily the lady behind me, hung out and gave a witness statement. Those plastic panels on those Saturns explode when you hit them, lol.

Zemedici

Established Member
Sucks to hear dude. I agree, there should be a retest at 65.

9/10 here if there is a line at a light or a back road, it's because of some old person sitting at the light or going 25 in a 45. Just this morning at the first light I came to, an old fart in a CRV sat through a green light at a four way and forced all of us to sit for another 3-4 min. Being 5 cars back, I couldn't even beep effectively and being the South where they're all about "manners", no one else honked at him either. So fun.

PFF **** that , my horn gets used more often than Pam Anderson. I know what's going on around me, unlike the crypt keepers holding up traffic.

Branhammer

Established Member
What pisses me off is that the Salt Lake PD doesn't even respond to fender-benders anymore and we had no witnesses. I called dispatch and they gave me a case number so I could go file the report myself on their website. Luckily this wasn't my first time getting hit, and I new all the info to get from the guy. He admitted fault to me. Hopefully he admits fault to his insurance. But I think the adjuster will be able to easily tell whose fault it was just by looking at the two cars. It's pretty obvious...

Branhammer

Established Member
I so wish we could all be reminded of this quote when you hit 75 so we can see if you'll be one of those self hating geezers, haha.

I can't speak for Z, but I know I will be doing this thing called PLANNING for that stage of life. I will happily give up my license because I will have a plan to get around. It's 2015. There's always a way to get somewhere without driving or have what you need delivered.

I remember the last time an old person hit me; a little old lady, and the cop said he wasn't going to ticket her for not having her proof of insurance on her. When I asked why he said "what if she was your grandmother?" I said "here I will give you my grandmother's address so you can go take her driver's license away, because someone needs to. You'll be a hero."

Zemedici

Established Member

I had a similar incident years back in my Jeep. Was going down a street with only one vehicle behind me, 3 lanes wide each side. See a Saturn pull up to a stop sign on a cross street. He looks right at me, then proceeds to turn and slam into my drivers side fender and door. I got out pissed and asked him what his problem was, he slowly got out and proceeds to introduce self as if nothing had happened. WTF?

I loathe geriatrics, so I bet I wont live to turn into a science experiment, But if I do, you can bet I'd have someone driving me around. Shit I would have someone do that now if I could.

I can't speak for Z, but I know I will be doing this thing called PLANNING for that stage of life. I will happily give up my license because I will have a plan to get around. It's 2015. There's always a way to get somewhere without driving or have what you need delivered.

I remember the last time an old person hit me; a little old lady, and the cop said he wasn't going to ticket her for not having her proof of insurance on her. When I asked why he said "what if she was your grandmother?" I said "here I will give you my grandmother's address so you can go take her driver's license away, because someone needs to. You'll be a hero."

Hate this special treatment old people get too, in turn they get that 'entitlement' attitude.

'well can I get a discount?'

'for what?'

'uh senior?'

bruh I'm supposed to give you a discount cuz you've sucked in more air than me? lolololol

+1 and sometimes the bird gets used too when they do really stupid shit.

+1

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member

It was more in reference to us all being car people, hence the decision to have that taken away when you hit that point. Might change perspective when the time comes. I'm all for regular testing once you hit 65 and lose your license if you fail. This is a pain in the ass time to drive. You have the douches on their phones swerving everywhere, then the geezers doing the same but slower with more cataracts.

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
It was more in reference to us all being car people, hence the decision to have that taken away when you hit that point. Might change perspective when the time comes. I'm all for regular testing once you hit 65 and lose your license if you fail. This is a pain in the ass time to drive. You have the douches on their phones swerving everywhere, then the geezers doing the same but slower with more cataracts.

Agreed. This is probably the worst time in history to be driving. They've made it illegal here to even use your phone at all without hands-free and yet I still see idiots with the phone to their ears and driving while holding the phone up on their steering wheels to text. I see it 10 times a day. Don't know how the cops don't see it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What till you have someone in your family who can't drive and you have to do all the running for them. You'll wish they could drive.

Branhammer

Established Member
What till you have someone in your family who can't drive and you have to do all the running for them. You'll wish they could drive.

We have that now. My wife's grandma is a shit show and still has a license. But the father-in-law won't take her license away. I can say with confidence that I would take it away from her make her use the money she has piled up to figure out transportation. She doesn't go that many places. Calling a cab is perfectly feasible. But then again, I don't have that feeling of "debt" to my family just for "raising me" like some people do.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ouch. That really sucks. How bad does the inner fender in the rear look?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Depends on the person. My grandfather is 98 and I still ride with him fairly often. He doesn't drive as much as he did a few years ago and anything out of town he has someone with him. Around town he's perfectly comfortable. Had his first ever accident last year. A girl on a cell phone ran a red and tboned him.

BTW...this is a picture of a lady who "didn't see" me a few weeks back...
d6ee96acd2e40a7572a5ed30b700e84e.jpg

I haven't gotten around to peeling her paint off the steel bed edge yet. Dumbass was on the phone and pulled across 2 lanes, a turning lane, and directly into my truck. It's an Isuzu cabover with a 18' landscape bed painted bright red.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Agreed. This is probably the worst time in history to be driving. They've made it illegal here to even use your phone at all without hands-free and yet I still see idiots with the phone to their ears and driving while holding the phone up on their steering wheels to text. I see it 10 times a day. Don't know how the cops don't see it.

Same here, it is a daily issue of people buried in their phones. Swerving into lanes, sitting at lights, panic breaking are all common these days. I'm guilty of using my phone too, but I'll at least use voice commands to keep watch on the road.

No I wouldn't wish they could drive if they lack the ability to do it safely. You don't put someone in a 2 ton battering ram if they can't control it in the name of convenience. How many times do we see old people mistake a brake for throttle and plow into people or buildings?

Know a guy who refused to take away his dad's license even after he had multiple wrecks and close calls. Well he's sitting in a cell now because he went to the store and plowed through a line of bikers when he drifted into oncoming lanes and killed one.

Steve1578

Established Member
Retest at 65, and again at 70, and then every year after that. Idc if it's a hassle, if you can't drive get off the damn road. Can't tell you how many geezers I see driving like damn clowns on a daily basis. Either going 15 in a 45, or they're halfway on the wrong side of the road, don't use turn signals, etc., etc.

Users who are viewing this thread