Going Magnum... anyone have advice

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Well my stock T-56 is now only good for spare parts. Where is the cheapest place to buy a Magnum trans shipped? Are there any options/upgrades I should consider? What modifications are needed to install this over the stock piece. Thanks guys

Also, anyone can PM me if they need some stock T-56 parts. I'll see what is still good on mine.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
You'll need to shorten your stock driveshaft by 1" & get the correct yoke for the Magnum (or buy a new driveshaft with the correct yoke)! .... everything bolts or clips right in!

I purchased mine though Tousley last fall.... also try Steve at Tasca!!!

Last edited:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
You'll need to shorten your stock driveshaft by 1" & get the correct yoke for the Magnum (or buy a new driveshaft with the correct yoke)! .... everything bolts or clips right in!

I purchased mine though Tousley last fall.... also try Steve at Tasca!!!

Will the stock DS work with a 8.8 SRA? Yea I see the yoke is about $150 alone. Any ideas where to get a whole DS/yoke for a good price?

SlowSVT

Established Member
The speedo drive is different on the Magnum.

Funny thing is the Magnum can use some of the same upgrades as the T56 (syncros, thrust faces, shift forks).

Magnetic drain plug is always a good idea in a tranny.

Remove the clutch fork weight

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member

Funny thing is the Magnum can use some of the same upgrades as the T56 (syncros, thrust faces, shift forks).

My speedo was plug-n-play .... something different I don't know about?

OP - I purchased my D/S from D&D...I'd call them

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member

That's silly, you spend that much on this thing yet still needs upgrades... What's the reason for removing the fork weight? Thanks

Ok will do! I seen you had to modify the DS tunnel some?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dont forget about the pivot ball for the clutch fork may need to be changed...only thing I can figure as to what length you need seems to vary by the flywheel used

SlowSVT

Established Member

Not mine :nonono: I got it about 6 months ago from Liberty

Here is the mounting provisions. My sender OD was too big to fit the hole in the Magnum case. I'll call for a replacement

TremicT56Magnum5_zpsbf528434.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
That's silly, you spend that much on this thing yet still needs upgrades... What's the reason for removing the fork weight? Thanks

That's what I said! :lol: Ya think that stuff would already be there but I'm not surprised. "If there is an upgrade for your brand new gearbox Tremec has a deal for you!" :nonono:. If I remember correctly the upper gear shift forks are aluminum and were replaced with steel. The thrust faces where nylon and replaced with bronze. The syncros were upgraded to a triple cone and I think some plastic bushings possibly on the shift rod were replaced with bronze. I would need to dig up the receipt for better detail. It added about $500-600 to the bill. Most of this stuff is to improve the smoothness of the shifting action. The Magnum out of the box is said to shift better than a T56 but I want a stick that slides into place and not have to "coax" it there like I use to have to do.

svtshadow

Banned
That's what I said! :lol: Ya think that stuff would already be there but I'm not surprised. "If there is an upgrade for your brand new gearbox Tremec has a deal for you!" :nonono:. If I remember correctly the upper gear shift forks are aluminum and were replaced with steel. The thrust faces where nylon and replaced with bronze. The syncros were upgraded to a triple cone and I think some plastic bushings possibly on the shift rod were replaced with bronze. I would need to dig up the receipt for better detail. It added about $500-600 to the bill. Most of this stuff is to improve the smoothness of the shifting action. The Magnum out of the box is said to shift better than a T56 but I want a stick that slides into place and not have to "coax" it there like I use to have to do.

Huh... Thats interesting. Did not know Magnum could use upgrades.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Not mine :nonono: I got it about 6 months ago from Liberty

Here is the mounting provisions. My sender OD was too big to fit the hole in the Magnum case. I'll call for a replacement

TremicT56Magnum5_zpsbf528434.jpg

Everything was all ready for me ... Purchased mine last October from Tousley ~ Installed in February!

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
So do you have to shorten the stock drive shaft with an SRA? I know you have to with an IRS

Haven't installed the SRA to date.....From what I was told through D&D, with the SRA I'll need a 1" longer D/S...so my stocker still may work down the road!!

My D/S that I ordered from D&D for the current IRS is exactly 1" shorter than stock....

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Haven't installed the SRA to date.....From what I was told through D&D, with the SRA I'll need a 1" longer D/S...so my stocker still may work down the road!!

My D/S that I ordered from D&D for the current IRS is exactly 1" shorter than stock....

Good deal! I may get away with just needing a yoke then too...

What price and where have you guys gotten your magnum

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
FYI: There are 2 ears on the right side of the Magnum you will have to remove...In my case a 3" cutting wheel work great with a file thereafter!

I never took a pic of the finished product, but the ears are right near the plug...also, if you look at your stock t56, looks like Ford did the same cutting!! (otherwise, those ears will hit the tunnel of the car)

PicsArt_1401398240610.jpg

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Well I called Tousley and their catalog is showing the Magnum for $2995 like everywhere else... Will be calling Tasca in the morning.

Good to know Tim! Will be buying a new cut off wheel I suppose

Last edited:

Dilley

Established Member
To me it sounds like upgrading my current t56 myself is the better option than buying a magnum

SlowSVT

Established Member
To me it sounds like upgrading my current t56 myself is the better option than buying a magnum

This is a valid point. The T56 is a pretty tough tranny and is actually less drag on the engine compared to the Magnum due to the narrower gears (try turning the input shaft to both transmission side-by-side and see what I mean). The trick with straight cut motorcycles gears was to bevel the outer corners of the gears to reduce drag. For a drag racer I might not be so quick to replace the T56. For sustained high speed the Magnum is probably a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread