Got bored ... So I built an intake heat shield

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I haven't done any mods to my car in months so I decided to build a heat shield in hopes to lower the IAT's a bit, if it doesn't help then o well I am only out $10 .. I just like to mod anyway so it was fun to do

here are some pics of my install .. it took me about an hour or so to cut and put it all together

20121030_224356.jpg

20121030_210430.jpg

20121030_210902.jpg

20121031_165156.jpg

o i almost forgot... she now has TF Sleepers too :) 18x9F and 18x11R with 4.5" lips

2012-09-05144557-1.jpg

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
it is a thin sheet of ABS plastic i ordered off the net .. relatively thin so it was easy to cut

i just googled ABS plastic sheets and had many sites come up .. i just picked a thickness and went with it .. i'm not sure which i chose but any thickness would be ok... the thicker the better b/c it wouldn't flex much when touched... mine is pretty sturdy as is and feels as if it belongs there

the template allowed me to get very close to the curves of the hood which allows me to block away more hot circulating air (i know hot air will still get in but it beats having it blown directly into the filter like when the a/c is running)

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
that looks great man! did you bend it to make the turn or cut it and glue/screw it together?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Have you thought about putting a top on it so the only air it gets comes from the hole leading to the fender well?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Have you thought about putting a top on it so the only air it gets comes from the hole leading to the fender well?

i didn't wanna put a top on it ... but did think of using trim to keep any air getting through the small gap between the plastic and the hood

Go to a wrecker or somethin an grab some rubber door trim an seal her up good

i thought about getting some trim for it .. good idea

that looks great man! did you bend it to make the turn or cut it and glue/screw it together?

i used a bracket to keep it together .. it was cut into two pieces

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Looks good man. Instead of cutting it and using a bracket you can make it a once piece. Heat it up with a heat gun and it will bend. It takes a couple minutes of going back and forth with the heat gun and slowly heating it till you can work it and then you bend it on the edge of a piece of steel such as some square tubing.

Here's a piece I shaped to build an overflow box for my saltwater tank. You could do the same thing.

IMAG0599_resized.jpg

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Looks good..I like the ABS, but throw some bulb seal on that thing and call it a day. It's very similar to the K&N FIPK although they are steel (at least mine is). I still like the idea of having one so I decided to notch my K&N shield to fit around my IC tank. Used the same method..cardboard template, cut, and a little shaping..good to go!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread