GT350/R Price Drop? Time to Buy?

oldbmwfan

Established Member
No. I'm just stating Ford ran the 350R prior to developing the current R spoiler and after at the same track. One with one without.

What numbers did Ford get?
I'd be interested in knowing this, too. Given what Ford pays Multimatic for those wings, they must work because it's a meaningful percentage of the Base/R price delta (if rumors are to be believed). In fact, considering the R-specific development costs for DSC, ABS, and the aero, as well as the hardware costs associated with the wing and wheels, I'm pretty sure they are losing money (relatively) on the R. I am NOT complaining, mind you. ;-)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... You can't just go to your local store and "just get lighter wheels".

And even if you could, they're still not going to be as light and stiff as the R's wheels, size-for-size. Not unless you have some super deep pockets and can somehow get your hands on some titanium wheels, at which point you'll have long passed the point of diminished returns on investment. (On a side note, I just recently learned that titanium is actually a pretty cheap metal. Forming it into something usable is what makes the cost astronomical. Which I did know that manufacturing titanium parts is difficult.)

... I'm pretty sure they are losing money (relatively) on the R. ...

I said the same thing before. There's no doubt in my mind that Ford is losing money on every R that rolls off the assembly line. Sales of the standard GT350 and the lesser Mustangs makes up the slack.

s1ten

Established Member
I guess we have a "Good Problem". Both are awesome cars and I'm sure I could be happy with either. I'm still going to buy an R eventually. Every mustang I have owned I've wish I ponied up the extra and got what I really wanted. I usually buy the lesser then threw a bunch of cash at it making it better. If I got a 350 I think I'd eventually start modding towards an R. GT350 owners cars are a better value than R's given the ADM's and there argument holds weight but, some have traded from 350's to R's. I have yet to see the opposite.

termoil78

Established Member
Just leaving dealer with a 350. They had an R. Was 10k mark up. Not willing to budge at all. And i can’t afford 80. 60 was bad enough. I did get the 350 for under MSRP so happy with that. Now to go on a diet so I fit into recaros better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

termoil78

Established Member
what you get?

099acbd4313724f917ae4149eacc1d2b.jpg

White stripes. And electronics package.

termoil78

Established Member
Love the blue stripes. Very unique. Have not seen that combo before.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well the time to buy was yesterday for me everyone! New 2017 R with electronics package...$6K over MSRP. Thanks everyone for the inputs. View attachment 1444054 View attachment 1444053
Very nice!
I wanted to order my '14 as blue stripes over black but wasn't an option.
Seems to be very rare and I've never seen an R in that combo.
More pics in the sun please.
Congrats.
-J

Mwynn

Established Member
Happy to see the 350R's selling closer to msrp. It will only get better for potential buyers!

termoil78

Established Member
I’m now kind of thinking what does a gt350 have that a fully loaded 2018 doesn’t.....10 days too late lol. I know there are many things but Ford must be coming with something pretty big to show up the 350 so easy.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well if it helps, exclusivity and resale in addition to the special engine/trans/brakes makes up for the fancy interior electronics.
Black white stripes seems unique too, hope you enjoy it.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Pretty amazing Ford can build a somewhat limited run of a vehicle and in the 3rd year of production still getting ADMs. I think they will have over 2000 units built by end of 2018 MY.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread