~GT42 Turbo 98 Cobra Build with pics! 56K Clean you IMRCs~

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I have been meaning to post some of these the last few days and figured I'd go ahead and do it. I should be picking the car up anyday now.

~~~~ EDIT 12/26 AFEW MORE PICS ADDED~~~~
~~~~ EDIT 1/8 Short vid of initial start up added~~~~
~~~~EDIT 1/10 Car is done, will post dynosheet tomarrow. Car made 390/380@5psi corrected~~~~~~
~~~EDIT 1/16 Underside pic's of the hotside piping manifolds and afew more~~~
~~~EDIT 7/11 Eboost2 installed and running 6.5 pounds~~~~
~~Edit 11/1 New motor pics~~~

It's A GT42/76
Custom Piping by a local builder called Carter Racing
TiAL WG
TiAL BOV
42# Injectors for now
SCT XCAL2
Ford GT Pump
Treadstone I/C
SCT 2800 MAF

If i can think of anything else I'll add it

Still Retains P/S, A/C Stock Battery Location and Fog lamps

Here's the turbo afew days before the project started...

100_1725.jpg

100_1727.jpg

100_1726.jpg

Got it to the shop and started tearing everything apart to see how much room there was with moving as little stuff as possible....there was suprisingly more room then i though.

JamesReedBay-1.jpg

Went ahead and got the bumper off the car and custom brackets were made to see how the fitment was on the intercooler as the shop thats doing the work was unfamiliar with this particular company (Treadstone). I think it fit pretty well

JamesIntercooler500-1.jpg

Because of the shear weight of the turbo, it was pretty universally agreed that some type of bracket would have to be made to help support it. The fabricator came up with this pretty trick setup....

42CageBlack500.jpg

And here was a test fitting to see how everything fits...

42Hanging500.jpg

Since the turbo itself was a divided housing, and concidering the size of the turbo we went with a divided merger to help with spool

JamesMerge500.jpg

Downpipe is taking shape............

downpipewelding5002.jpg

downpipewelding5001.jpg

I have some more pics on my camera, I'll post up some more once i get them off.

Thanks for checking it out :D

Got afew pnew pics.....

Here is the divided collector setup we went with, hopefully it should help spool

DividedBottom500.jpg

JamesUnderside500.jpg

JamesOutside500.jpg

Here's another random one witht he bumper cover off some people were wondering about how it looked

100_3630.jpg

Here the new boost controller that just went in today.....car is ALOT of fun at 6.5 pounds now lol
JamesEboost800.jpg

Short vid of initial Startup

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMjK6oLI1U"]YouTube - First Start[/ame]

Ford Aluminator Longblock

JamesSecret800.jpg

AluminatorandT56.jpg

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah man car deff looks sick. When I get the blower on in the next month maybe we'll run into each other ;)

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
sick setup... What kinda numbers are you expecting?

Umm well, we really dont know. Most likely around 500rwhp on very very low boost and should break the 1000rwhp mark on high boost and the built motor.

Thanks for all the kind words....Video will be a definate once it hits the rollers.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Looks like it will be a sweet setup, be sure to get videos when it's running. :thumbsup:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
what you build the motor up with..rods pistons etc, did you do any head work or runa short runner intake?

JasonSnake

Established Member
this makes me sick. I wish I could do that to my car. This project must cost around 6k'ish?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
what you build the motor up with..rods pistons etc, did you do any head work or runa short runner intake?

Built motor? Whats that? lol no seriously it's bone stock. I will be ordering the motor very early in January. I'm gonna tune it on super low boost to handle around 475rwhp right now so atleast that gives me time to break everything in so if something is wrong, I'm not running around trying to figure out if it's the new motor/heads or a turbo kit issue ya know?

I'm currently looking at a Long block from Modular Performance using my Block and crank, Oliver Billet I beams, Forged Pistons (Think they were Manley?), ARP Rod Bolts, Head studs, New Bearings,Gaskets,Seals ect. The heads would have Comp Valves, Bronze Guides, Upgraded Springs, and Ford GT Cams, and that kinda stuff.

It's guaranteed to handle my 1000-1100rwhp goal. I have at admit the only thing i'm unsure of is whether i want the I beams or go with some good ole Manely H beams. Im just kinda worried about the H beams over 900rwhp though but there is a decent price difference between the 2.

Also Next month im going return style with a Glenns Performance Tank, Aeroquip Pushlock Fuel Lines, Dual Bosch 044's ect.

As far as the cost of the build so far. Just the Piping (Hot and Cold side is all Stainless), Couplers, Reworking of some of the Coolant hoses, Fabrication of the Overflow tank, Switching to Pusher Fans, Tune, Oiling kit for the turbo, Installation of all these parts including the Fuel Pump, Injectors is around $4100

I'd say that with all the Fab work + Parts (Turbo, Fuel pump,Injectors, MAF, WG, BOV, Intercooler, and if you included the Tubular D&D K member and A Arms) your well into a total of 7k+ But thats INSTALLED. I don't thnk it's a bad deal concidering everything was bought brandnew and this is new territory for me. I could have done it a fair amount cheaper had a bough some stuff from the market here like the K member A arms ect

Also ontop of keeping my PS and A/C I also only lose about 1/4-1/2 inch of groud clearance if that and i'm running a 5'' Downpipe

crazycarlo

Established Member
Hey James. Im not sure what the name of the shop is but there is a shop in Macon thats offering built shortblocks 4.6 Longrods I beleive for a fair amount. You may want to look into that. Just a thought since its only a few hours away.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Hey James. Im not sure what the name of the shop is but there is a shop in Macon thats offering built shortblocks 4.6 Longrods I beleive for a fair amount. You may want to look into that. Just a thought since its only a few hours away.

Yeah I've seen that guy post before. I'll have to check in on that. Thanks :)

looks like its coming along great, some nice welds too!

Thanks alot :D

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Awesome build and it looks like you got a top notch shop doing the work. Waiting anxiously for the vids:pop:

Users who are viewing this thread