GT500 to continue into next Gen?

bumplime

Established Member
2014 won't be a new generation, that article is incorrect in that regard. Cool to hear about Shelby extending their contract with Ford. Although Ford could've went back to the SVT Cobra name and still produced a badass Mustang that would have sold just as well.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
2014 won't be a new generation, that article is incorrect in that regard. Cool to hear about Shelby extending their contract with Ford. Although Ford could've went back to the SVT Cobra name and still produced a badass Mustang that would have sold just as well.

Are you sure? I thought the whole point of releasing the new Mustang at that time was to mark its 50th Anniversary, which would technically be 2014 1/2.:dw:

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It's a good profit center...that they has alot of money invested in. Glad to hear they are sticking with it

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Nice to see the relationship continue, i am curious what will be different on the anniversary edition besides badging?

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

The Shelby name gets people in dealerships. Many people don't know what SVT even is

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
"The news comes by way of Shelby American president John Luft, from the floor of the New York Auto Show. Luft told Mustangs Daily that the company's relationship with Ford would continue through 2015 and beyond thanks to a recent contract extension."

LMAO at all the 'tards that were oh so sure that this was the end of shelby, that ford wouldn't re-up the contract:lol: do i get to say "i told you so"?

Are you sure? I thought the whole point of releasing the new Mustang at that time was to mark its 50th Anniversary, which would technically be 2014 1/2.:dw:
nope, i believe it was jay mays that said in an interview last year that it'll be a 2015MY. the '64½ mustangs were actually marketed as '65s by ford. i've heard that '14 will be a short model year and then we'll get the '15s, but i don't have anything solid on that.

bpmurr

Established Member
The Shelby name gets people in dealerships. Many people don't know what SVT even is

Ford needs to do a better job of promoting the SVT brand. Hell even Fiat was smart enough to do that with SRT. The cool thing about the Shelby deal is now another excuse for ADMs on the 2013-14 is gone! :)

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford needs to do a better job of promoting the SVT brand. Hell even Fiat was smart enough to do that with SRT.

Yep, pretty much.

They brought Shelby back into the game because of the market they are selling to currently. They obviously knew what they were doing.

Like I said on here before, back in 03-04, Cobras where sitting on the lots by the dozens. Atleast in Michigan.

They never did anything to market that car, let alone SVT

9 out of 10 people always ask me if my Cobra is a Shelby. Most of the time, they do not know what SVT is.

This is just my experience of course

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Ford needs to do a better job of promoting the SVT brand. Hell even Fiat was smart enough to do that with SRT. The cool thing about the Shelby deal is now another excuse for ADMs on the 2013-14 is gone! :)
absolutely. i do think SVT has gotten quite a bit of spotlight with the raptor, and i really believe that ford should be building off of that. with the crazy amount of popularity and attention the raptor has garnered, it may have impacted the SVT brand equity more than any previous SVT! each new cobra(and lightning for that matter) release has been big news to car guys, but i don't think they've had the impact on the general public that the raptor has.
c'mon ford, get the marketing machine to work!!!

chuckstang

Established Member
guys no matter how much money or efforts Ford makes to get people to recognize SVT, it will never have the same staying power and marketability of the name Shelby.

In the automotive industry, everyone knows Shelby, not just the baby boomers as some think.

Current movies like Gone in 60 seconds with Nick Cage brought a lot of younger fans of Shelby as well with their version of the 67 GT500

91svtbird

Established Member
Sorry to see they were able to talk Ford into extending this relationship. I don't see this as a good thing for Ford IMO The Shelby brand is not by any stretch the performance image it was back in the day....bling yes performance no.
I'd be willing to bet the performance side of Ford (SVT) wasn't happy about this decision by the Exec's.:nonono:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
guys no matter how much money or efforts Ford makes to get people to recognize SVT, it will never have the same staying power and marketability of the name Shelby.
that's exactly NOT what anyone here is saying. there's no excuse for SVT not being as well known as AMG, SRT, M, etc, yet they aren't. ford needs to change that, has nothing to do with shelby.

[1] Sorry to see they were able to talk Ford into extending this relationship.
[2] I'd be willing to bet the performance side of Ford (SVT) wasn't happy about this decision by the Exec's.:nonono:
wow, you've really blinded yoursefl with bias!
[1] LOL, shelby talked ford into this, that's hilarious. nevermind that ford has made more money with the shelby name than they've ever made with the cobra name. this was merely a formality between the two companies, no sales pitch needed.
[2] yea, i really bet the guys who took the initiative to contact shelby and reignite the relationship are pissed that the relationship has been extended. i bet they're pissed that the name that single handedly helped outsell previous generations of SVTs has extended their stay.
really, you'd have to be one bitter, narcissistic asshole to, in all likelihood, take a sales hit just so your name can get more attention. personally, i'd be more pissed that i didn't get more attention for my involvement in the ford GT than the GT500.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I'm going to take anything and everything saying shelby off of my 2013 when it comes in. When shelby put his name on the car...ADM's started. Eff that noise.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I'm going to take anything and everything saying shelby off of my 2013 when it comes in. When shelby put his name on the car...ADM's started. Eff that noise.

There were ADM's on Cobras before the Shelby name were put on them. There were ADM's on Lightnings, Ford GT(40) etc.

Just gotta know how to not pay them :)

GarageLogic

Established Member
The next generation Mustang will go on sale in calendar year 2014 as a 2015 model year, just as the first generation Mustang went on sale in calendar year 1964 as a 1965 model. Technically, there is no such thing as a 1964 1/2 Mustang.

Chris! said:
Just gotta know how to not pay them :)
That's the easy part. Don't do it.

Last edited:

bumplime

Established Member
The amount of dislike for the Shelby brand is strange to say the least. If it were not for Shelby it's likely we would not have the level of car for is producing for the 2013 GT500. He was involved in the reincarnation back in model year 07. Without that car and the subsequent success Ford most likely wouldn't have continued in the manner they have.
How people blame Shelby for ADMs is beyond me, the company that causes ADMs is the one you're buying your car from.
I am glad this relationship is continuing, especially if Ford, it's dealers, suppliers and customers all benefit from it.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I am hoping to see a GT/GT350 and GT500 lineup right out the door in 2015.

And if Grand Am isn't going to enforce showroom brand names on other competitors (Camaro). Allow Ford Racing to offer their Mustang GTS and GTR for appropriate classes. That would allow a wide range of options in SCCA with a GT350, GTS and GTR. Still leaving the GT500 and Cobra Jet for the drag crowd and allowing the GT to be what ever the he'll the owners want them to be...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sorry to see they were able to talk Ford into extending this relationship. I don't see this as a good thing for Ford IMO The Shelby brand is not by any stretch the performance image it was back in the day....bling yes performance no.
I'd be willing to bet the performance side of Ford (SVT) wasn't happy about this decision by the Exec's.:nonono:

I was really hoping that the royalty fees would finally evaporate with the termination of the agreement between FoMoCo and SAI. I would much rather see Ford offer the top dog powertrain/suspension as mere options, thus killing off ADM's. For those that simply have to have Shleppy's name slathered all over their beloved Mustang, Ford could have offered a performance sticker and taped on stripe package - charging a ridiculous premium for it and allowing dealer's to charge more for mere fluff. In the meantime, performance would be available at an even more competitive price.

You echo my sentiments exactly.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
C'mon Tob...I know you to not be that naive.

ADM's are not because of the Shelby name. ADM's are because dealers charge them, and idiots choose to pay them.

The Shelby name helped sell cars. Plain and simple. Last I checked Ford was in the business of selling cars...not trying to appease a very small percentages of owners...that will buy the car anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread