GT500 to continue into next Gen?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
edit: Before anyone says the zl1 is the "do it all" sports coupe, take notice how team camaro just spit in your face with a soon to be sanctioned 1le before the zl1s were released. And, the zl1 finds itself behind the stats according to c&d against the 2011 gt500 in every performance category except one. A 12.3 vs a 12.35 1/4.

The zl1 is probably the largest hyped failure in pony car history.

+1 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
...do some research before casting stones. the 2 owners of SAAC are scumbags who were merely profiteering off the shelby name and giving back little to the members. it's easier to just say "shelby's greedy!!!" though.
and i happen to love the omni GLHS, that car was and still is a badass machine!

You are the one that should do some research. You only posted one side of the story, you should investigate both sides before you libel two people you have never met by calling them "scumbags". Take a look at SAAC forum if you want to see the other side of the story. If the leaders of the SAAC were in the wrong, why did the whole club stay with them? The argument could be made that the club kept Shelby's name relevant and allowed him to continue to be successful.

As far as this thread, fact is "Shelby" has absolutely nothing to do with the current GT500 Ford sells, so why should his name be on the back of the car?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I wonder what role Eddie Bauer plays in the development of Ford's Explorer? I am so sick of paying extra for that too!

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I love how the people bad mouthing shelby! own shelbys lol look @ there sigs, I see 2007,2009 shelby listed as the owners cars!

The old saying goes

"Those who live in glass house should not throw stones "

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
You are the one that should do some research. You only posted one side of the story, you should investigate both sides before you libel two people you have never met by calling them "scumbags". Take a look at SAAC forum if you want to see the other side of the story. If the leaders of the SAAC were in the wrong, why did the whole club stay with them? The argument could be made that the club kept Shelby's name relevant and allowed him to continue to be successful.

As far as this thread, fact is "Shelby" has absolutely nothing to do with the current GT500 Ford sells, so why should his name be on the back of the car?
i have done the research, covered both sides. SAAC's response to the release in my post amounted to nothing of substance(I.E., they didn't factually refute much of what shelby said in his response). fact is, those two scumbags were making cash money on shelbys name hand over fist while completely ignoring the contract that they had signed.

I wonder what role Eddie Bauer plays in the development of Ford's Explorer? I am so sick of paying extra for that too!
:lol:now THAT is hilarious!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
LOL...where have you been Pill i missed you! :beer:
In the hospital brother, surgery bound. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000653239737&ref=tn_tnmn

This will not get me back on a road course but it will allow me to work on the car, attend events and drag race. I have already started my build plan thanks to Unleashed Beast, Revan Racing and Stainless Works.

Me being an idiot though, I shipped the GT before I could get the code for the tuner. No biggie, Van can get the tuner to me before I get the exhaust on. Besides, lots of great conversation going on in here as of late... I have kinda just been reading.

and the embargo on 13 info at this point brings me to a lot of dead ends. I can't even get any radical speculation...

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
i have done the research, covered both sides. SAAC's response to the release in my post amounted to nothing of substance(I.E., they didn't factually refute much of what shelby said in his response). fact is, those two scumbags were making cash money on shelbys name hand over fist while completely ignoring the contract that they had signed.

You hardly covered the other side. If those two are really as you put it "scumbags", then why did Shelby settle with them?
Carroll Shelby, SAAC Settle Legal Battle

I purposely just left it at "I don't want a guy who sues his own fan club " on the back of my car, but since you want to keep pushing, why don't you google Shelby's charitable foundation?

From : http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/SUB/70720066&sectioncat=rss01&template

No one has accused Shelby or the foundation staff of misappropriating money. But Shelby's administrators admit that the organization has been run too loosely and hasn't doled out enough funds.

In 2005, the latest year for which tax returns are available, the foundation took in $594,062 in contributions and gave out only $24,944 in grants. More than half of that money went to two charities: the National Institute of Transplantation, which received $10,000, and St. Vincent Meals on Wheels, which received $5,000.

Recently, much larger sums have started to roll in - mainly because of a new partnership with Ford Motor Co. Since 2006, Ford has donated four vehicles that have brought in about $1.76 million from auctions and raffle sales. Yet the foundation still isn't doing much with the proceeds.

Shelby declined to be interviewed. But John Luft, president of Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., says the problems are being addressed. He insists that Jenni Shreeves, the foundation's executive director since 2004, and new corporate partner Ford Motor Co. are making much-needed improvements.

Nonprofit organizations endowed by private individuals or corporations are required to give at least 5 percent of their total assets to charities annually, says Kelly Simone, a lawyer with the Council on Foundations in Washington. The law is intended to prevent parking otherwise taxable funds in nonprofits.

The Shelby foundation has donated far less than 5 percent, although it is not bound by the same regulations. Shelby's charity avoids the 5 percent rule because it gets all its funds from public donations. Shelby has not put his own money into the foundation.

The foundation also has fallen far short of voluntary standards set by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance, an Arlington, Va., organization that helps donors make informed judgments about charities.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Mr. Shelby has not been in control of anything in the company for some time. This excites me, because the GT350, Cobra and other assorted nameplates will be up for grabs when finances bottom out. For a reasonable price :)

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
In the hospital brother, surgery bound. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000653239737&ref=tn_tnmn

This will not get me back on a road course but it will allow me to work on the car, attend events and drag race. I have already started my build plan thanks to Unleashed Beast, Revan Racing and Stainless Works.

Me being an idiot though, I shipped the GT before I could get the code for the tuner. No biggie, Van can get the tuner to me before I get the exhaust on. Besides, lots of great conversation going on in here as of late... I have kinda just been reading.

and the embargo on 13 info at this point brings me to a lot of dead ends. I can't even get any radical speculation...

Hope it all turns out well! :rockon:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Same level of involvement. Same stickers, emblems, etc. Royalty fee paid there too.

ADM's don't stick to Eddie's vehicles though. You were saying?

R1Lello

Established Member
I love how the people bad mouthing shelby! own shelbys lol look @ there sigs, I see 2007,2009 shelby listed as the owners cars!

The old saying goes

Not sure who you're referring too......but my sig. has SOLD on it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
You hardly covered the other side. If those two are really as you put it "scumbags", then why did Shelby settle with them?
Carroll Shelby, SAAC Settle Legal Battle

I purposely just left it at "I don't want a guy who sues his own fan club " on the back of my car, but since you want to keep pushing, why don't you google Shelby's charitable foundation?

From : http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/SUB/70720066&sectioncat=rss01&template
LOL, so this is my first time looking into the shelby/SAAC thing, huh? like i said, i've covered both sides of this. and i did it WHEN this was going down.
so that's all you have? shelby MUST be in the wrong because they settled? how about this; if shelby was in the wrong, then why did those 2 scumbags accept a settlement? if i'm not in the wrong then i'm not gonna accept a settlement. HMMM, could it be that those 2 morons finally decided to cut their losses and try to make amends with shelby?:idea: who has more to lose there, shelby or those 2 leaches? yea, we ALL know the answer to that one...

sorry, the whole "shelby charity scam" is old news and has been refuted many a time. there was never any proof of fraud nor was there any legal action taken against the charity, I WONDER WHY...

let me guess, your gonna bring up the sexual harassment lawsuit next, right? again, amounted to nothing.

your doing it all wrong dude, if you really want to talk shit about carroll shelby, then all you need to do is bring up the continuation cobras. it was claimed that they were new cars built with left over original('60s era) frames, but that wasn't the case and the frames were actually newly fabricated pieces.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Same level of involvement. Same stickers, emblems, etc. Royalty fee paid there too.

ADM's don't stick to Eddie's vehicles though. You were saying?

Exactly! Ford uses marketing ploys to sell vehicles. No one believes that those characters are actually involved. They plunk down their money and move on. Dodge and Chevy put stickers and emblems on their vehicles without a celebrity name attached and the GT500 remains a better bang for the buck regardless. Folks that do not want them check the "stripe delete" box on the order form. Simple as that.

And as pointed out, ADMs have been applied to Bullitts, Machs, Bosses and Cobras for years. The application of a celebrity moniker has never been a prerequisite for ADMs. That is what I was saying!

jtfx6552

Established Member
LOL, so this is my first time looking into the shelby/SAAC thing, huh? like i said, i've covered both sides of this. and i did it WHEN this was going down.
so that's all you have? shelby MUST be in the wrong because they settled? how about this; if shelby was in the wrong, then why did those 2 scumbags accept a settlement? if i'm not in the wrong then i'm not gonna accept a settlement. HMMM, could it be that those 2 morons finally decided to cut their losses and try to make amends with shelby?:idea: who has more to lose there, shelby or those 2 leaches? yea, we ALL know the answer to that one...

sorry, the whole "shelby charity scam" is old news and has been refuted many a time. there was never any proof of fraud nor was there any legal action taken against the charity, I WONDER WHY...

let me guess, your gonna bring up the sexual harassment lawsuit next, right? again, amounted to nothing.

your doing it all wrong dude, if you really want to talk shit about carroll shelby, then all you need to do is bring up the continuation cobras. it was claimed that they were new cars built with left over original('60s era) frames, but that wasn't the case and the frames were actually newly fabricated pieces.

Boy you really are a no nothing, Shelby Nutswinger.

I've been following this since it happened. The guys at the SAAC didn't do anything wrong. If they had been involved in something fraudulent, do you think they would have stayed involved with the club, or not been removed as part of the settlement?

As far as the Shelby charity, nothing "has been refuted many a time". Fact is for 5 years they took in money, and didn't dole any out. When confronted with that fact they said, yes that's true, we need to do a better job.. blah blah blah. Whether they did or not after the fact doesn't mean much as they didn't do anything until they were called on it.

And your right, the continuation Cobras were frauds, as were the 6 "1966 Continuation GT350 Convertibles".

The bottom line is, what Shelby is best at, is lining his pockets. And I'm sure his pockets are being lined to put his name on the new cars which he has nothing to do with, and does not contribute to in any way.

I would rather not pay any money, be it ADMs, or in the MSRP to have the mans name on a car he has nothing to do with.

Do you, or have you ever owned a Shelby? Do you have one on order?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Because FORD saw an opportunity to make money with the brand. Period. Not to mention how odd it would look to have COBRA slapped on the back of these cars. It simply doesn't go with the design. Ford went retro with the design and decided to resurrect an iconic name from the period that inspired the design. Why is that so hard for some to understand/accept?

The old saying goes

They're probably the folks that had the naivety to believe the GT500 was going to be a small, limited run car and paid a massive ADM. That's neither the fault of Shelby nor Ford. It's the fault of the buyers who agreed to pay it! I still remember reading an old thread back when it first came out on another forum from a guy who was loud and proud that he paid $20K over sticker to get his hands on the limited edition '07 GT500!! :lol1:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread