GT500 vs. GTO

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Formula51 said:
The GT500 would certainly best the GTO in handling, but you have to remember that the GT500 has bigger and better tires as well as a more sport tuned suspension than the "touring sedan" GTO as some have called it. I mean come on, what muscle car has 235 series tires in this day and age!?!

I would bet the GTO rides nicer over bumpy roads and pavement changes though. Nothing wrong with a stick axle on smooth roads, but it can be a bit scary during high speed corners on bad roads. It will not be long until the Mustang has an IRS as the competition will have them and the public will demand the ride quality.

If you cannot tell, it's late, I can't sleep and I am very bored. hehe.

In the last One Lap of America a private sponsored GTO was up against the Ford sponsored "pre-production" GT500. I went to Roebling Road racetrack to see them in action and my buddy was the owner of the goat. The goat had H/C/exhaust (430rwhp), brake upgrades, suspension & wheel/tire upgrades and safty equipment. The GT500 had some "non-production mods" to include a rear end cooler, brake ducting all around, saftly equipment but some mods were undisclosed. By the track times it was very close. The did skip the dragstrip event due to rain but that would have helped on the power comparison.

These guys were back and forth from track to track within 10ths of each other until the GTO had a bolt back out on the after market shifter and give them a DNF at VIR which put the GT500 1st and the goat 2nd. In my opinion the GTO was set up like it should have been from the factory with 245/275 rubber, slightly stiffer suspension, ect but eveyone is not like me!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not a fair compairison. The GT500 has a huge advantage over the GTO due to the supercharger. Putting a supercharger on the GTO would make things a lot more interesting. To be honest I don't think there is a car out there that is in the same class as the GT500. Maybe when the new Camaro or Challenger comes out it will have a more worthy opponent.

05GTOguy

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Not a fair compairison. The GT500 has a huge advantage over the GTO due to the supercharger. Putting a supercharger on the GTO would make things a lot more interesting. To be honest I don't think there is a car out there that is in the same class as the GT500. Maybe when the new Camaro or Challenger comes out it will have a more worthy opponent.

I agree in the 2+2 coupe market the GT500 is tops for value and performance. The GTO is significantly lower priced for a reason and just can't match a GT500 in power or handling stock for stock.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
GT500 encounters GTO on track

Ok Guys:

Post #189 over in my "GT500 hits the track" thread I've posted a video of the end of Damian's ride where we encounter the GTO. :pepper: Shelby Outing Part IIa.

I'm going to somehow have to hide this thread from Larry because I don't want him to see it!?! ;-) :poke:

Enjoy!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4289767#post4289767

bunk22

Established Member
SlowSVT said:

I think it's fair being the GT500 came from the factory with a blower and the GTO comes from the factory with a 364ci engine. That used to be and probably still is for some GM guys, the arguement that if you put a blower on an LS1, see what happens. Okay but since it didn't come from the factory that way, it wouldn't be stock. Put an Eaton on a 6.0 GTO, then put a KB on a 5.4 GT500. It never ends once we go away from stock.

SlowSVT

Established Member
bunk22 said:
I think it's fair being the GT500 came from the factory with a blower and the GTO comes from the factory with a 364ci engine. That used to be and probably still is for some GM guys, the arguement that if you put a blower on an LS1, see what happens. Okay but since it didn't come from the factory that way, it wouldn't be stock. Put an Eaton on a 6.0 GTO, then put a KB on a 5.4 GT500. It never ends once we go away from stock.

That is the equivalent of sending Janet Reno into the ring with Mike Tyson. The outcome is pretty predictable and not much of a fight. At 8 lbs. of boost the GT500 thinks it's 500 cubic inch engine. A GTO will be way handicapped against that kind of hardware. That's like posting "Z350 vs. BMW M6" which is pretty meaningless from a comparison perspective just as this thread is. Threads like this are nothing more then "chest pounding" :rockon:

Your argument is lame.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
That is the equivalent of sending Janet Reno into the ring with Mike Tyson. The outcome is pretty predictable and not much of a fight. At 8 lbs. of boost the GT500 thinks it's 500 cubic inch engine. A GTO will be way handicapped against that kind of hardware. That's like posting "Z350 vs. BMW M6" which is pretty meaningless from a comparison perspective just as this thread is. Threads like this are nothing more then "chest pounding" :rockon:

Your argument is lame.
You mean like the thread comparing the GT500 to the C6Z06:poke: Yet when the Chevy is the superior car its ok to compare them stock for stock :loser:

manOwar

Established Member
Some one doesn't play well with others, does he.

I started this thread because I'm tired of hearing all the BS about the vette. The truth of the matter is, GM has nothing to compair to the GT500.

SlowSVT

Established Member
manOwar said:
Some one doesn't play well with others, does he.

I started this thread because I'm tired of hearing all the BS about the vette. The truth of the matter is, GM has nothing to compair to the GT500.

You are correct. There is nothing out there at the moment to compare the GT500 to. Not much BS regarding the Z06. That car is no joke. You already knew the answer to your question before you even posted this thread. For discussion sake that is OK. Some people were bashing the GTO as an inferior car without considering the differences between them that makes the whole argument rather moot. I just wanted to keep things in perspective. The GTO is nothing to laugh at. Personally I don't care much for it but it still deserves credit for it's level of performance. As everyone knows once you start modding a car all bets are off.

Be well :beer:

bunk22

Established Member
SlowSVT said:

Your argument is lame.

Not my lame argument, but yours. I'm simply pointing out that comparing them, is fair. To bad the GTO didn't come with a blower from the factory. Ford chose to put one on their car stock so it works in their favor. Life's a bitch. That's what mods are for. Don't like that fact that a GTO can't keep up, do what Doc GTO did. Don't like that your 500 hp GT500 has a hard time against a regular C6, swap the pulley.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Im glad the GTO is s muscle car, but its really ugly and just not enough car.

Ive been wanting to run one (hopefully an auto) jsut to see what woudl happen.

SlowSVT

Established Member
bunk

You can mince it any way you like but comparing a supercharged car to an N/A car is hardly what I call an even match (don't you agree?). If the two were competing in an NHRA race they would recognize this fact and handicap the GT500 to keep the race competitive. After all you did state "stock-for-stock". Personally I could care less which car is faster. All these cars a fun to drive and that's what they are designed for.

Terminator

Established Member
Lame argument

If the C6Z was to race a GT500 would the Shelby still be handicapped (per NHRA)? Doubt it. I think the C6Z should be disqualified for having too large an engine and not enough weight.

It's not meant to be an even match. Run what ya brung!

redline

Established Member
well i have both and i know my 03 can take the gto . but i do like both . the muscle car lives. lol.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
It's not meant to be an even match. Run what ya brung![/QUOTE]

I like that.... and don't cry about it in the end!

bunk22

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
bunk

You can mince it any way you like but comparing a supercharged car to an N/A car is hardly what I call an even match (don't you agree?). If the two were competing in an NHRA race they would recognize this fact and handicap the GT500 to keep the race competitive. After all you did state "stock-for-stock". Personally I could care less which car is faster. All these cars a fun to drive and that's what they are designed for.

Hey, one comes stock from the factory with a 5.4l supercharged engine and the other a 6.0l n/a engine. Sure, one has more power but is also slightly heavier. The 400hp C6 is down on power, without a blower, but very close to the performance of the GT500 due to its weight.......is that fair :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread