GT500 vs Terminator comparo video

bobster

Established Member
I really wish when they did tests like this, they would mod each of the cars with the basic mods. I really don't care what they do stock, it's the modded version that would swing my choice of wanting one. Maybe cold air kit, exhaust, lowering springs, and maybe a pulley. look back in the late 80's when they would test camaro's against mustang's. They were actually really close in stock trim but the mustang really picked up with the basic mods and the camaro didn't. As a consumer I care more about my end result than what they are from the factory. A VERY VERY large percentage of cars end up with mods anyway. To me the very best cars are the ones that have lots of untapped potential, thats not too hard or too expensive to achieve, not the ones that are better in stock trim.

brads1

Established Member
Motor, chassis, suspension, transmission, clutch, braking, cooling, safety.

I'm sure there's more :read:

What makes all those things better is what I'm driving at... It's easy to say, "yeah it's better," but do you actually know what really makes it better?

What makes the suspension better, isn't it live axle? Braking on paper is better, but car for car, does it really stop faster? Why is the chassis better, doesn't it weight a lot more? Whats different about the cooling?

All I know about the motor is it's bigger displacement but has, "weak links," which I know nothing about.

Last edited:

USBlueStage2

Established Member
What makes all those things better is what I'm driving at

Google is your friend - the following explains why the "transmission is better."
(I am sure in a few clicks of the mouse, one could find similar explanations for why the "brakes are better" etc)

"So you might be wondering exactly how a Tremec TR-6060 compares with the T56 you know and love. In short, it’s better in just about every way. It can handle more torque thanks to a move from a 10-spline input shaft to a 26-spline unit. Moreover, the new case is stronger, the countershafts are one-piece units, and the gear faces are wider. All these changes add up to much greater strength, which we’ll all appreciate after we start modding these cars. What we noticed while driving the car, however, was its easy, precise shifting despite the factory shifter.

The prime movers in the better shifting are increased synchronizers on all the gears. Where the Terminator T56 had only two synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and single synchros on the remaining gears, the TR-6060 offers triple synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4, and dual synchros on all remaining gears, including Reverse. Plus, the synchronizers have been upgraded from a carbon-particle paper to a sintered-bronze material.

Gt500 Transmission Gears
A larger input shaft, beefier gears, more synchronizers, closer gear ratios, and more make this six-speed one that should become a popular aftermarket upgrade.
So this transmission shifts easier, but it also offers a shorter shift throw. “The synchronizer hubs are much narrower, reducing fore and aft shift travel,” Tremec’s Jim Averill explained. “Additionally, the hub system uses three encapsulated ball-and-coil-spring struts that are much more precise than the old-style hoop-and-stamped strut. This also adds to a smoother fore, aft shift ."

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
What makes all those things better is what I'm driving at... It's easy to say, "yeah it's better," but do you actually know what really makes it better?

What makes the suspension better, isn't it live axle? Braking on paper is better, but car for car, does it really stop faster? Why is the chassis better, doesn't it weight a lot more? Whats different about the cooling?

All I know about the motor is it's bigger displacement but has, "weak links," which I know nothing about.

All I have to do is hop in one and it all makes sense. :read:

The front suspension is a better design than the modified MacPherson setup on the SN95s, the rear axle is now a 3 link, much better than the old 4 links, it feels good daily driving AND handles well.

Just looking at the motor it is evident that the cooling has been beefed up, now doubt due to the extra HP and the issues discovered in the 03s.

The transmission and clutch setup is way beyond the T56. Smooth as ass.

Chassis feels a lot more solid, it's not even comparable to a SN95.

brads1

Established Member
All I have to do is hop in one and it all makes sense. :read:

The front suspension is a better design than the modified MacPherson setup on the SN95s, the rear axle is now a 3 link, much better than the old 4 links, it feels good daily driving AND handles well.

Just looking at the motor it is evident that the cooling has been beefed up, now doubt due to the extra HP and the issues discovered in the 03s.

The transmission and clutch setup is way beyond the T56. Smooth as ass.

Chassis feels a lot more solid, it's not even comparable to a SN95.

I hopped in one... Didn't do much for me, which is why I ask what makes it better, because I can't figure it out at first look...

brads1

Established Member
Google is your friend - the following explains why the "transmission is better."
(I am sure in a few clicks of the mouse, one could find similar explanations for why the "brakes are better" etc)

"So you might be wondering exactly how a Tremec TR-6060 compares with the T56 you know and love. In short, it’s better in just about every way. It can handle more torque thanks to a move from a 10-spline input shaft to a 26-spline unit. Moreover, the new case is stronger, the countershafts are one-piece units, and the gear faces are wider. All these changes add up to much greater strength, which we’ll all appreciate after we start modding these cars. What we noticed while driving the car, however, was its easy, precise shifting despite the factory shifter.

The prime movers in the better shifting are increased synchronizers on all the gears. Where the Terminator T56 had only two synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and single synchros on the remaining gears, the TR-6060 offers triple synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4, and dual synchros on all remaining gears, including Reverse. Plus, the synchronizers have been upgraded from a carbon-particle paper to a sintered-bronze material.

Gt500 Transmission Gears
A larger input shaft, beefier gears, more synchronizers, closer gear ratios, and more make this six-speed one that should become a popular aftermarket upgrade.
So this transmission shifts easier, but it also offers a shorter shift throw. “The synchronizer hubs are much narrower, reducing fore and aft shift travel,” Tremec’s Jim Averill explained. “Additionally, the hub system uses three encapsulated ball-and-coil-spring struts that are much more precise than the old-style hoop-and-stamped strut. This also adds to a smoother fore, aft shift ."

Thats good info!

Google isn't my friend though... rather have someone explain it to me over read some review that simply says it's, "better." Then again, you pulled that off of google didn't you? haha

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I really wish when they did tests like this, they would mod each of the cars with the basic mods. I really don't care what they do stock, it's the modded version that would swing my choice of wanting one. Maybe cold air kit, exhaust, lowering springs, and maybe a pulley. look back in the late 80's when they would test camaro's against mustang's. They were actually really close in stock trim but the mustang really picked up with the basic mods and the camaro didn't. As a consumer I care more about my end result than what they are from the factory. A VERY VERY large percentage of cars end up with mods anyway. To me the very best cars are the ones that have lots of untapped potential, thats not too hard or too expensive to achieve, not the ones that are better in stock trim.

One you start modding both cars campairisons get real murky. Test basis are best judged when stock.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
yeah but sometimes a car with a few mods can have totally different results!

Mod for mod the Shelby wins.

Can't really stack mods on one car and leave the other stock if you want a reasonable "Comparison" between a model successor :read:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Well because the buyers are completly different right now. I bet when the Shelby's price drop down, there'll be alot more younger people buying it and working on it just like the Terminators. And JW, you would rather have a 1000R rather than a Ducati 999 or a 1098 ?????????????

I would agree with regard to the effect price has on people willingness to mod a car.

Would I rather have a gixxer over a Ducati..........then live with the decision? In a heartbeat! Ducati's are a good performance motorcycle but tend to break easy and are expensive to own. Most guys who buy duc's do so for status reasons only. I absoluly destroyed an MV4 Agusta on a back road on a 20 year old 500 cc bike as well as a few ducati's. Most of that was attributed to the "rider" but it was still inferior to a box stock GSXR 750. I admit Ducati have gotten better but can't understand why they insist on sticking with that "demonic" valve train :xpl: Jap bikes are almost bulletproof and are the best performance bikes made bar none!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you guys are right about it looks like that cobra had a steeda or php cold air. and stock "appearing" upper pulley even tho no pulley guard. (i bet it was the stock pulley tho)

so imo that does sorta skew the results of the test. intake is huge. i personally got 59 sae rwhp from intake/exhaust alone on my 03 (albeit on different days)

when i first saw how they described each engine's output i assumed bone stock for each, cuz i think they said 390/390 for the cobra?

anyway it was fun to watch these cars driven on the edge like that. "tail-happy! drift-happy! sam-happy!" lol

SlowSVT

Established Member

Gt500 Transmission Gears

The 6060 certainly has improvements over the T-56 but that the end of the day all you will really notice is that it shifts smoother. Other then the input shaft on the T-56 those transmission are pretty tough and rarely break. Most people would never think about which one has a stronger case. Point well taken though.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
yeah but sometimes a car with a few mods can have totally different results!

I am with you man! You can always add more power, better, brakes, and better transmission to the terminator etc etc, But there is only soo much weight you can take off the gt500. I am going to race my buddies dads cobra soon to see what the results are... since I got solid I got even less weight :banana:

he is pullied, intake, and tuned... I race him with just and intake and his 430 rwhp he put down was not NEARLY as impressive as my buddies 01 gt with 410 rwhp...

bobster

Established Member
of course the mods should be done on both cars to keep things fair. my point is a guy who buys a lambo is probally going to leave it stock so the numbers in a test will be acurate for him. most guys who buy a cobra or gt500 will not leave it stock so it would be great to see a comparo on both end products.

SpectorV

Established Member
I perhaps spoke a little to much when I said its a better car as everyone has an opinion in what makes a car better. If it was gase mileage well it wouldnt be as good probably.

They have a better designed and more powerful engine, chassis is by far better, the live axle rear is at a disadvantage IMO even tough the 03/04 cobra iRS sucks due to fords horrible choice for rubber POS bushings~ the only real thing I dont like about the gt500 is the weight~ and the live axle. The rods are weaker~ but everything else engine wise is great... why couldnt ford use good rods again and make the engine much much stronger...

cbr repsol

Established Member
getting back to the motor of the gt500..... I dont like it because it has a 4 inch stroke. I think that is way too much for a 5.4 . the 351w 5.8 has a 3.5 stroke which is great for the revs. I think the little 281 will live alot longer than the 5.4 will, thats a lot of torsional vibration. It puts a lot of side load on the piston. the 3.543 stroke of the 281 will like the revs a lot better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread